PDA

View Full Version : Seating the neck

MikeL
28-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Firstly let me clarify, I haven't received my kit yet so my only knowledge at this point is from photo's on the Pitbull site but I'm pre-planning my build as best I can.

I've been pondering the fitting of the neck to the body ( I'm getting an SV-1, 4 screws, no backplate )

Now I realise that neck alignment and angles are critical and a tighter fit "should" give better sound quality. So I was contemplating using a technique used in rifles to improve their accuracy, it's called 'Bedding'. Short description is, where the action sits in the stock, the stock has thick resin poured in, the action is fitted ( with a release agent on it) and it's left to set, once set the action is removed
and what's left is a perfect mould for the action to sit in, that will never change and will give
perfect contact... Now my questions is, am I over thinking this and taking it too far or is this a good
idea...

Here's a pic of a wooden rifle stock with bedding done

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/byozj-bedding.jpg

dingobass
28-12-2012, 09:06 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from MikeL on December 27, 2012, 17:18
Firstly let me clarify, I haven't received my kit yet so my only knowledge at this point is from photo's on the Pitbull site but I'm pre-planning my build as best I can.

I've been pondering the fitting of the neck to the body ( I'm getting an SV-1, 4 screws, no backplate )

Now I realise that neck alignment and angles are critical and a tighter fit "should" give better sound quality. So I was contemplating using a technique used in rifles to improve their accuracy, it's called 'Bedding'. Short description is, where the action sits in the stock, the stock has thick resin poured in, the action is fitted ( with a release agent on it) and it's left to set, once set the action is removed
and what's left is a perfect mould for the action to sit in, that will never change and will give
perfect contact... Now my questions is, am I over thinking this and taking it too far or is this a good
idea...

Here's a pic of a wooden rifle stock with bedding done

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/byozj-bedding.jpg

Hey Mike,

To put it bluntly, yep, you are over thinking it Mate! :D

You should find that the neck will fit quite snugly enough, and when you bolt it in there will be more than adequate contact for sound transfer.

I quite often glue bolt in necks as well, but only after I am sure that it straight etc.

From memory, there is a great article on setting up the neck, it should be posted in the forum.

Have fun with your build, take your time and you will have a great axe to show for it.

MikeL
28-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Yep, found the article and I do recommend everyone planning a build to go read it, it's well worth it. Just search for 'Setting up a neck'

So again, thanks Dingobass for having answers to my noob questions :)

28-12-2012, 09:54 AM
If no other luthier/manufacturer does it, it's a fair bet that they have thought about it or something similar and gone "Nah."

Just take your time and be patient, and you will get a better neck than most jobs.

dingobass
28-12-2012, 11:04 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from MikeL on December 27, 2012, 18:48
Yep, found the article and I do recommend everyone planning a build to go read it, it's well worth it. Just search for 'Setting up a neck'

So again, thanks Dingobass for having answers to my noob questions :)

The only silly question you will ever ask is the one you don't ask :D

kimball492
01-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Hi Guys a friend recommended a small laser level put at nut end in centre, held on with rubber bands. It shines down the centre of the fret board line up neck with centre of bridge when its in line clamp it down and screw.

Its a much more accurate way and takes away the guess work.The little laser levels can be found on ebay quite cheaply .
Best Wishes
Kimball

keloooe
01-04-2013, 07:58 AM
My way is to clamp the neck in place, then press the bridge in the body, then the pups and also the tuners. Then grab the included alignment strings and lightly fit the strings and move the neck if needed.