PDA

View Full Version : My TL-1

pablopepper
06-12-2012, 09:44 AM
So, here's a few pics of my TL-1. Finally finished (other than a couple of teething issues) and looking pretty spunky if you ask me. :D

Let me know what you think.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/of9xg-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/76u9m-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/09a65-image.jpg

adam
06-12-2012, 10:01 AM
I can't type my original reaction to these photos, 'cause there was too much swearing. I WANT THIS GUITAR!!!

Are you serious? This is a TL-1 kit?

How did you get that mirror finish? What pick ups did you put in? Where did you get that scratch plate?

Wh.. ho.. I'm speechless.

adam
06-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Quote from pablopepper on December 5, 2012, 18:44
So, here's a few pics of my TL-1. Finally finished (other than a couple of teething issues) and looking pretty spunky if you ask me. :D

Pablo Pepper, you must tell us about this build. There's a lot of stuff going on there to get this incredible result. The finish, the humbuckers, the bridge, etc..

As a Tele player, I so want to play this guitar.

Maybe you can even hook up some video, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to hear how it sounds.

pablopepper
06-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Haha, thanks Adam!

Yes, it is a Tl-1, albeit modified slightly. I had to fill in and then rout the pickup cavities to mount the humbuckers. I can put up a link to a series of build photos tomorrow if you like.

The pickups and the pickguard I got on eBay from Guitar Builders Emporium, who turned out to be amazing and I highly recommend. The tortoiseshell pickguard cost $10 and the wilkinson paf style humbuckers cost $40 for the set (unbelievable)!

It's also got a wilkinson vintage style bridge with compensated brass saddles for better intonation and wilkinson tuners. Because I went from single coil pickups to humbuckers, I had to change out the pots to 500k and while I was at it I swapped the tone cap for a sprague orange. Oh, and I put strap locks and a gotoh string retainer on too.

The mirror finish is the result of; how should I put this......... a metric f**ktonne of sanding. I found a car polish that did a great job as a buffing agent, can't remember what it's called, I'll fill you in tomorrow.

pablopepper
06-12-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm still trying to set it up properly, and there are a few serious wiring issues to be dealt with (I'm a complete novice), but a video might be possible in the near future.

adam
06-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote from pablopepper on December 5, 2012, 20:03
I'm still trying to set it up properly, and there are a few serious wiring issues to be dealt with (I'm a complete novice), but a video might be possible in the near future.

Well, let us know about your wiring issues, there's a few very knowledgeable Luthiers on this Forum who I'm sure would be happy to help/advise.

Gavin1393
06-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Let me know what you think

Awesome piece of art! Hope it ends up playing a well as it looks as then you will have a sensational guitar to cherish for many years. Really like the changes you have made with the compensated bridge and scratch plate....very impressive build.

dingobass
06-12-2012, 02:54 PM

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/of9xg-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/76u9m-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/09a65-image.jpg

HOLY JUMPING GRASSHOPPERS!
That is one very sexy Axe!
10 out of 10 for that effort :D

ncass81
06-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Awsome Looking Guitar!! that finish and the colour contrasts of the scratch plate and the black. Hope you sort out those wiring issues and it sound as good as it looks.

dingobass
07-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Quote from adam on December 5, 2012, 20:14

Quote from pablopepper on December 5, 2012, 20:03

Well, let us know about your wiring issues, there's a few very knowledgeable Luthiers on this Forum who I'm sure would be happy to help/advise.

Wot Adam said. :D

With guys like dMac around, I am sure we will be able to sort you out!

pablopepper
07-12-2012, 02:46 AM
Thanks to everyone for their kind words. This project has been so much fun I almost cannot wait to start the next one! :D

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to a bunch of progress photos.

http://imgur.com/a/5MKWR

Edit: I have no idea why my original post pics all got spun around. How strange.

dingobass
07-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Quote from pablopepper on December 6, 2012, 11:46
Thanks to everyone for their kind words. This project has been so much fun I almost cannot wait to start the next one! :D

http://imgur.com/a/5MKWR

Edit: I have no idea why my original post pics all got spun around. How strange.

Those shots are amazing, great documentation!

adam
07-12-2012, 08:51 AM

Great shots PP. I hope our future customers see this post, to see what amazing results can be achieved. Hey. we've got some ES-355 (dot) style hollow bodies on order, due in a few weeks. With gold hardware! I'd love to see what you could do with one of those beauties.

dingobass
07-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote from adam on December 6, 2012, 17:51

Great shots PP. I hope our future customers see this post, to see what amazing results can be achieved. Hey. we've got some ES-355 (dot) style hollow bodies on order, due in a few weeks. With gold hardware! I'd love to see what you could do with one of those beauties.

I want one of those Adam!
Put my name down as a forward order :D

Gavin1393
07-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Quote from dingobass on December 6, 2012, 18:01

Quote from adam on December 6, 2012, 17:51

I want one of those Adam!
Put my name down as a forward order :D

Yep! '355' thinline and Fender Thinline are must haves for me too...Adam please put me down for one of each.....the gold hardware will look sensational with a Wudtone Columbian Gold, Emerald Isles or Faded Fiesta coloured body!

pablopepper
08-12-2012, 01:19 AM
DB and Gavin, you guys are insatiable! By my count that will put you two on 4 kits each! I wish I had that sort of time to spend on guitars. :)

Adam, I was actually thinking about trying my hand at an SV kit once I get this puppy fully operational. Something completely different to all my other guitars...

Gavin1393
08-12-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote from pablopepper on December 7, 2012, 10:19
DB and Gavin, you guys are insatiable! By my count that will put you two on 4 kits each! I wish I had that sort of time to spend on guitars. :)

Adam, I was actually thinking about trying my hand at an SV kit once I get this puppy fully operational. Something completely different to all my other guitars...

Five Pit Bull Guitars actually! :) mumble, mumble...saying nothing about the more costly kits already acquired from Stewmac....

Six if you count the Beatles Bass....but go count how many shoes my wife has! I still have some catching up to do!

pablopepper
08-12-2012, 02:53 AM
Five Pit Bull Guitars actually! :) mumble, mumble...saying nothing about the more costly kits already acquired from Stewmac....

Six if you count the Beatles Bass....but go count how many shoes my wife has! I still have some catching up to do!

Wow! It seems I have some catching up to do too! :P

Gavin1393
08-12-2012, 04:06 AM
Quote from pablopepper on December 7, 2012, 11:53

Wow! It seems I have some catching up to do too! :P

I figure women's shoes cost about the same as a Pitbull Guitar..so if she want's another pair of shoes, I get to order and build another guitar! Reckon it's only fair that she should have to build her own shoes too!

adam
08-12-2012, 07:45 AM

No worries PP, I've got 4 left in stock, with some more due mid-late January if they sell.

dingobass
08-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Actually it will be 5 kits for me :D

And then there is the special order Beatle Bass, but we won't mention that one to my beautiful other half! 8O

pantsman
15-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Wilkinson hardware is always under-rated, but don't go spreading the word on how good their stuff is; they might raise their prices!!!