PDA

View Full Version : Pick-up Winder

Gavin1393
05-12-2012, 05:11 AM
After witnessing all the negativity around the Schaller Pick-up winder sold by StewMac I have decided to embark on building my own unit, rather than spending around $450 plus delivery, I have only spent around $100. Is anyone on the forum winding their own pickups and if so what are you using? Any tips / essential thoughts before I start building? Currently waiting on the motor (24 volt variable speed controller and 24v motor up to 800 RPM), 24volt counter all ordered on e-bay delaying my start date!

dingobass
05-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 14:11
After witnessing all the negativity around the Schaller Pick-up winder sold by StewMac I have decided to embark on building my own unit, rather than spending around $450 plus delivery, I have only spent around $100. Is anyone on the forum winding their own pickups and if so what are you using? Any tips / essential thoughts before I start building? Currently waiting on the motor (24 volt variable speed controller and 24v motor up to 800 RPM), 24volt counter all ordered on e-bay delaying my start date!

Oh Man,

Cant wait to see what you come up with Gavin!

Yep, the pup winder from Stewmac is a bit of a lemon, so I too have been putting off getting one...

If yours works out ok I may have to get you to build me one 8-)

Gavin1393
05-12-2012, 07:53 AM
I was thinking I might detail the building process on the forum....but I need to be able to upload the pics. Seems I might have to send the pictures through to Adam to upload though....do you know of a work around? :)

dingobass
05-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 16:53
I was thinking I might detail the building process on the forum....but I need to be able to upload the pics. Seems I might have to send the pictures through to Adam to upload though....do you know of a work around? :)

Hmmmm.
I sometimes have dramas uploading as well... I think it is a matter of what time you post photos, I usually try to do it during the day, seems to work better then...

Please do a video or photo shoot of this project!
So many of us would love to get your input in this one, I have been itching to make my own pups for ages but due to lack of reliable and affordable gear I have put it off.

Gavin1393
05-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Quote from dingobass on December 4, 2012, 18:12

Hmmmm.
I sometimes have dramas uploading as well... I think it is a matter of what time you post photos, I usually try to do it during the day, seems to work better then...

Please do a video or photo shoot of this project!
So many of us would love to get your input in this one, I have been itching to make my own pups for ages but due to lack of reliable and affordable gear I have put it off.

Will look to do both video and photo's...

adam
05-12-2012, 12:59 PM

If you're having trouble loading photos, they're probably too big. Try trimming them down to about 500 pixels across and 72dpi.

Gavin1393
05-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Hey Adam, i'm not sure I can count that high! What size is that 500 x 72 in megs?

adam
05-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 22:04

Quote from adam on December 4, 2012, 21:59

If you're having trouble loading photos, they're probably too big. Try trimming them down to about 500 pixels across and 72dpi.

Hey Adam, i'm not sure I can count that high! What size is that 500 x 72 in megs?

I meant 500 x 500 pixels in size and 72dpi in resolution. When digital photos are taken straight from a camera, or phone, they tend to be quite large; 4000 x 3000 pixels at 300dpi. So you need to bring down the size and resolution so it will post to our forum. I think Google's Picassa will do it for you, which is a free program.

05-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 14:11

Google transformer winders instead. Much more information.

Gavin1393
27-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Here is the end result of my hand built Pickup winder. If anyone is interested I will post the build pictures below.
It features a digital counter with reset switch that will comfortably handle counting to 10,000 winds. Powered with a 24 volt motor that is capable of 800 revolutions per minute (at 7/10 on the speed controller it is running at 600).
A reed switch triggered by a rare-earth magnet aids with the counting function.
All in cost me under $100!
Thinking I might put in an On/Off LED as well as functionality to attach a foot switch to control winding speed.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/xeh9j-24.jpg

dingobass
28-12-2012, 03:24 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 26, 2012, 23:49
Here is the end result of my hand built Pickup winder. If anyone is interested I will post the build pictures below.
It features a digital counter with reset switch that will comfortably handle counting to 10,000 winds. Powered with a 24 volt motor that is capable of 800 revolutions per minute (at 7/10 on the speed controller it is running at 600).
Thinking I might put in an On/Off LED as well as functionality to attach a foot switch to control winding speed.

Nice one Gavin!

When can you build me one?..... seriously!

bodders
28-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Quote from dingobass on December 27, 2012, 12:24

Nice one Gavin!

Wow - that's awesome. Please post build pics/instructions. Always fancied a go at winding my own pickups!

Gavin1393
28-12-2012, 08:07 AM

Not difficult to do! Will post build pics...

DB- Make me an offer I can't refuse! :)

dingobass
28-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 27, 2012, 17:07

OK, how long did it take you to build?

Gavin1393
28-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Quote from dingobass on December 27, 2012, 18:11

Quote from Gavin1393 on December 27, 2012, 17:07

OK, how long did it take you to build?
Once i had all the parts I needed, cutting the chambers and routing others, wiring, measuring up and gluing the housing, thicknessing sections of the wood...knocked it up in two days!
The biggest delay was waiting for the motor, motor controller and digital counter to arrive from China and of course to learn mandarin so i could figure out which was the positive and negative connections of the motor controller and which was the counter pins and which the power pins on the counter! The pot supplied (that's potentiometer for those who wondered how i got it through customs) was shitty and so I replaced the shitty one with a decent one from Jaycar.
I picked up a 'damaged' wah-wah pedal at cash converters today for 8 bucks so I could now add this to my own unit!

Gavin1393
28-12-2012, 10:52 PM
DB, Hook up on my facebook page and send me a message. Tried sending you one afew days ago. I'll help build your pickup winder, if you help me build one of the basses that Adam is bringing in! :)

29-12-2012, 03:56 AM
How do you control the tension, the movement across the bobbin, and will you do scatterwounds?

Gavin1393
29-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Quote from dmac on December 28, 2012, 12:56
How do you control the tension, the movement across the bobbin, and will you do scatterwounds?

I have made an adjustable guide to assist with the control of the tension and movement accross the bobbin. This unit is designed to be a copy of the handwired unit that can be purchased from StewMac for $400 plus shipping! Since it is a handwiring unit by definition then it will only do scatterwounds.

Happy to hear of any suggestions to improve the unit.

dingobass
30-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 29, 2012, 06:50

Quote from dmac on December 28, 2012, 12:56

I have made an adjustable guide to assist with the control of the tension and movement accross the bobbin. This unit is designed to be a copy of the handwired unit that can be purchased from StewMac for $400 plus shipping! Since it is a handwiring unit by definition then it will only do scatterwounds.

Happy to hear of any suggestions to improve the unit.

I reckon that you could do nice non scatter winds with this unit.... go slow, have a good set of magnifying eyes on and there you go!

It is a really nice, sturdy looking unit, Gavin. Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on one and do some serious experimenting :D

Gavin1393
01-01-2013, 03:42 AM
Quote from dingobass on December 29, 2012, 16:30
I reckon that you could do nice non scatter winds with this unit.... go slow, have a good set of magnifying eyes on and there you go!

It is a really nice, sturdy looking unit, Gavin. Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on one and do some serious experimenting :D

Here is the Parts list, either secured off e-bay or Jaycar, Wood from Bunnings!
Counter $12.58
Motor (800RPM) $18.33
Motor Controller $15.00
Toggle Switch $2.95
Counter Reset $1.95
Reed Switch $1.95
Rare Earth Magnet $1.00
100K Pot $2.25
Knob $2.95
24v Power Supply $29.95
Bulkhead Plug $3.45
Shaft Couples x2 $6.95
Aluminum Hub x1 $6.95
Bolt $1.50
Wiring & Heatshrink $2.00
Wood
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ie48g-winderparts.jpg

dingobass
01-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Quote from dmac on December 31, 2012, 14:56

Quote from Gavin1393 on December 31, 2012, 13:51

Quote from dmac on December 31, 2012, 13:45

Quote from Gavin1393 on December 31, 2012, 12:42The Luthier's Lair is finally operational!
*8 Acoustics, a Uke, 2 x LP's, a Strat and a Tele on the go!

Gavin, are you working for profit/as a business?

I'm wondering why you are asking?

In a nutshell, if you are doing it for money, you are my competitor, even if you are banging kits together.

Hey Guys,

Maybe we could form a network or alliance between us to foster our endeavours?

dMac is a brilliant technician and Electric Guitar builder and pedal Guru.

Gavin is an Acoustic builder who is spreading his wings and starting to build Electrics.

I build Basses and would love to get into building Acoustics, as well as making my own pickups...

Just a thought...

Have a great New Year guys!

Gavin1393
09-01-2013, 12:43 AM
I am a hobbyist when it comes to guitars, electric and acoustic and hence what I present here is my take on the Stewmac winder that people like but find expensive at the price.

The parts list has been provided above. This is what I paid for the items, not what I'm trying to sell them for. I show it merely as a guide to anyone wanting to build a Pickup Winder such as the one I built and which I share freely and without royalty because basically it was shared with me on the same basis!

So I cut up the wood from bunnings after making some measurements that I figured would make a nice looking box. Sturdy enough and heavy enough so that when the motor got going it wouldn't bounce off the table and need to be held down. This of course is important since I'll be needing my hands to feed the pickup wire and to provide some tension while winding by hand.

Since my wood is only 19mm thick I'm thinking that I need to make a bracket to clamp the motor securely in place and so this becomes my first initiative in the design.

I basically drilled a 32mm hole in a spare piece of wood. Cut the hole in half on the band saw and then drilled two small holes to 'clamp' the two halves together. This ensured a tight secure fit.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/88826-3.jpg

Gavin1393
09-01-2013, 12:50 AM
I have already drilled a hole in the box where the 'Clamp' will go. I have also only glued one side of the clamp to the side of the box so that I can tighten or loosen the clamp should this be necessary.
Here is a picture of the motor in the clamp in position in the as yet unglued box.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/c9s91-11.jpg

Gavin1393
09-01-2013, 01:28 AM
Of course, one of the critical parts of the build is the attachment of the pickup holder to the motor. In some respects, the holder is going to be thrown slightly out of balance when I insert the rare-earth magnet in the one end. Since I am aiming at having a sturdy and stable winding mechanism I chose to used an aluminum bracket which is designed to attach to the motor with a screw that locks into the side of the bracket and fastens to the motor shaft. There are 4 screws that attach the wood pickup holder to the bracket. Drilled a hole in the pickup holder for the rare-earth magnet and tested it out for fit....now it refuses to come back out of the drilled hole so I figure I have saved on some glue! The magnet is going to be used to trigger the reed switch which in turn will count the number of revolutions and hence the number of winds going on to the pickup. Counting to 10,000 in one's head is never fun when you forget the last number that you were counting!
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/g6cw1-d7.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/5gl94-d4.jpg

Gavin1393
09-01-2013, 01:38 AM
Next is a relatively eazy job of drilling a hole to accept the Reed switch. I used a glass reed switch shown below. To get it to count correctly it needs to be 'folded', placed inside some heat-shrink and inserted into the drilled hole. A colleague placed the whole reed switch 'flat' outside of his unit and discovered that he could wind 10,000 winds in half the time since the Reed Swich effectively measured to passes when only one revolution was happening. The hard part is bending the Reed Switch without breaking the glass! Care is needed, and despite the warnings of my colleague I managed to break mine....off to Jaycar to get another one...make it three in case I still havent mastered being careful!
The reed switch does not need to be too close to the magnet since it is a rare-earth magnet and is plenty powerful enough to trigger the counting mechanism!
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/9416i-reed1.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/b079s-13.jpg

Gavin1393
09-01-2013, 01:45 AM
Better view of the "Folded" Reed switch!
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/77tjt-d23.jpg

Gavin1393
09-01-2013, 02:08 AM
Next Phase is to design roughly the 'face' of the unit, in other words, where the digital counter, reset switch, pot for the motor controller and the on/off switch will fit!

These positions will either be routed out, scroll sawed or simply drilled to provide a snug fit for each of the parts it will hold.

Not shown here, but I did add a power supply female jack to the unit. This is a 24v unit and I figured it would be a nice touch to have the power supply movable.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/84rqb-16web.gif

Gavin1393
16-01-2013, 06:08 AM
While I wait for the pencil to dry....

I decided to get to work on the motor controller. Out with my Mandarin to English Dictionary!

The motor controller is basically an electronic circuit with some heatsinks and a Pot to control the speed of the motor through varying the current. I have decided to place the motor controller in the panel eneath the display panel and alongside the power input mentioned in the previous post.

The underside of the PCB (that's the green board for those wondering) has all the soldering exposed so Ithought I'd provide some added protection by raising the PCB away from the oak sides. Essentially installed some bolts upside down in the brown rosewood panel, and attached the PCB to the bolts...simple as that!

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/9lq82-19.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/y7s84-6.jpg

Gavin1393
16-01-2013, 06:14 AM
Some cutting, scrolling and drilling and a whol bunch of dust later....quick check..still got 10 fingers so all's good!

Here is the result, namely a picture of the display panel.

The On / Off toggle switch is on the bottom left. Above it the reset switch will be positioned. The rectangular spot is for the Counter and below that the Pot for the motor controller.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/j9vyb-9.jpg

Gavin1393
16-01-2013, 06:18 AM
Now for some wiring....I know I put my soldering iron somewhere on my desk....how the hell does something that big go missing? Ah! under this pile of offcuts....and numerous discarded paged from the Mandarin Dictionary...

Wired up the Pot first (didn't like the flimsy chinese one, so swopped it for a Jaycar one which was probably made in China too?

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/098tx-14.jpg

Gavin1393
16-01-2013, 06:22 AM
Wired up the power input and the Motor controller.

The black and red wires represent your traditional positive and negative power. The blue and ORANGE wires supply power to the actual motor.

Thank goodness I figured this out...may well have blown the man-cave to peices had I got this wrong?

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/heg1d-20.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/77q2c-12.jpg

johnspaiva
08-02-2014, 05:38 PM
By the way, how did you wire the reset switch and the counter?

gdog1954
16-01-2015, 08:44 AM
I would like to know what parts to build a pickup winder please.

gdog1954
16-01-2015, 08:45 AM
And where to find them.

pablopepper
16-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Page 2 of this thread will answer both questions.

nDR01d
29-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Does 8 months later count as a Zombie thread? I just saw Gavs' You Tube of pickup winding. I am going to build mine as soon as I can afford to do so. I'll have to stop buying guitar kits and upgrades for them though... :(

Gavin1393
29-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Haha! Probably does but winding your own pickups never goes out of style.

WSPF
27-02-2017, 02:23 PM
Haha! Probably does but winding your own pickups never goes out of style.

Read all of your posts regarding pickup winder and I'm inspired to have a go at building something like yours. Been thinking about it for a while......

Thanks.