PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple top LP1, finished with Wudtone.

dingobass
04-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Hi all,

Adam very kindly sent a Spalted LP1 my way to see what kind of results can be achieved with Wudtone finishes on Pit Bull kits.
Adam ROCKS! :D

I have used Wudtone on the Axe of Destiny with great results.

The Wudtone has made the figure in the Spalted Maple pop, and even after only two coats the figure in the grain is really starting to come out.

I am convinced now that any other synthetic or polyurethane finish will NOT bring out the full potential of this timber.

If you have bought the Spalted Maple top LP1, I would urge you to consider going the extra mile and using the Wudtone finish.

Wudtone is very easy to apply, all you need is some patience as the whole process from colour to finish coat may take up to two weeks, depending how many coats you apply.

Check out the web site at wudtone.com

Keep an eye out for Pit Bull instructional video on Wudtone that is currently in production.

In the meantime, I am more than happy to answer any questions and to give help if needed.

You can post questions here or email me at dingobass@hotmail.com.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/b6eoe-IMG_1207.JPG

Gavin1393
04-12-2012, 10:22 AM
What Wudtone finish have you put on there DB? Looks fantastic!

dingobass
04-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 3, 2012, 19:22

In my excitement I neglected to say that this is the Carmine Gypsy, with Mahogany on the sides and back.....

Gavin1393
05-12-2012, 01:30 AM
My Spalted Maple has arrived. It's a beautiful piece, but I cannot figure out how to upload a pic of it?

pedro
05-12-2012, 01:48 AM
Hi all - my first post here and my Spalted Maple LP1 has arrived and I have already had some French polishing advice (via DingoBass) sent to me from Adam. I have completed a "look-alike" Tele in the Francis Rossi green and a Ukelele (Stewart Macdonald)that I stuffed up by using shop bought varnish...Doh..!! Looks like I may need some expert advice from dingobass and in the meantime I will check out the Wudtone site. Cheers all, Pedro.

adam
05-12-2012, 02:28 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 10:30
My Spalted Maple has arrived. It's a beautiful piece, but I cannot figure out how to upload a pic of it?

Hi Gavin, here's the pic you sent. looks sensational!

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/5494h-Spalted-Maple.jpg

Gavin1393
05-12-2012, 02:57 AM
Thanks Adam! You sent me a beauty! Have been in touch with Andy (Wudtone) to get his thoughts on what finish to apply to highlight the features to this one!
DingoBass, have you used the straight forward colours or have you tried the Gold / Silver highlight versions? If so, any comments about whether these enhance or detract?

dingobass
05-12-2012, 03:13 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 11:57
Thanks Adam! You sent me a beauty! Have been in touch with Andy (Wudtone) to get his thoughts on what finish to apply to highlight the features to this one!
DingoBass, have you used the straight forward colours or have you tried the Gold / Silver highlight versions? If so, any comments about whether these enhance or detract?

Hey Gavin,

I used the gold highlights on the Axe of Destiny.
It is very subtle but gives that extra dimension to the finish.
I give it 9 1/2 out of ten, only because it isnt real 24 carat gold dust :D

Gavin1393
05-12-2012, 03:17 AM
Awesome! Dingo Bass, thanks for the feedback - couldn't find anything definitive on their site. Just as well it isn't real gold dust given the price of gold lately!

dingobass
05-12-2012, 03:41 AM
Quote from pedro on December 4, 2012, 10:48
Hi all - my first post here and my Spalted Maple LP1 has arrived and I have already had some French polishing advice (via DingoBass) sent to me from Adam. I have completed a "look-alike" Tele in the Francis Rossi green and a Ukelele (Stewart Macdonald)that I stuffed up by using shop bought varnish...Doh..!! Looks like I may need some expert advice from dingobass and in the meantime I will check out the Wudtone site. Cheers all, Pedro.

Hey Pedro,

I see that you are already familiar with Stewmac.

If you do decide to go down the French Polish road, I would highly recommend that you get a few bottles of their thin super glue.

I use this to harden the face of the Spalts I use in my custom builds before I begin the French Polish.

You will need to do this out side! otherwise you will pass out from the fumes.

How I go about the application of the super glue is as follows.

1. Find a pot plant tag to use as a scraper.
2. WEAR GLOVES! it is a bit embarresing having to go to casualty with a guitar super glued to your fingers.... yes, I have been there... :o ( acetone / nail polish remover will dissolve superglue)
3. With glue in one hand and scraper in the other, start to pour a little glue in front of the scraper and drag it in the direction of the grain. Keep going untill you have covered the whole top with a reasonable layer.
At this stage it may look a bit streaky and you may see some spots you have missed. Don't worry as when you apply the second coat you should cover these.
4. leave this first coat to dry and cure overnight and repeat.
5. After leaving the top to cure over night you can begin to sand.

For sanding I use 3m frecut gold paper from Stewmac. you will need one sheet each of 220, 400 and 800.
You will also need a few sheets of micro finishing paper 1200 and 1500.
The smoother and shinier you can get the top before F.P. the better results you will gain.

As for which shellac to use for the F.P. that is entirely up to you. I personaly use the Platina or clear shellac if the top has a nice colour, but you may choose to use any colour shellac to suit your taste.
You don't need much for a guitar, so I would recommend getting the small packet from Stewmac as shellac has a shelf life.
You can dissolve the shellac in metholated spirits.

Stewmac have some great articles on how to prepare the shellac for use and how to do F.P. that are really suitable for the beginner. If you follow these you will end up with a wonderful finish.

Good luck with the build and if you have any questions just ask!

Gavin1393
05-12-2012, 05:03 AM
Adding to what DB said. I was warned against the shellac from Bunnings...too yellow apparently.
DB, when apply the Wudtone product, was it necessary to do the Superglue fill or did the Wudtone cover that off nicely?

dingobass
05-12-2012, 06:52 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 14:03
Adding to what DB said. I was warned against the shellac from Bunnings...too yellow apparently.
DB, when apply the Wudtone product, was it necessary to do the Superglue fill or did the Wudtone cover that off nicely?

No superglue if using Wudtone!!!! Wudtone is designed to soak in.

The problem with shellac from Bunnings is, well, it is from Bunnings.... as well as being to yellow, it usually is not de waxed, even if it says it is. Remember, Bunnings is an outlet for cheap stuff and apart from buying the occasional drill bit I tend not to shop there for my Lutherie gear....

05-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Quote from dingobass on December 3, 2012, 21:19

In my excitement I neglected to say that this is the Carmine Gypsy, with Mahogany on the sides and back.....

hey guys , looking awesome! I love it.
Is this after just the deep colour coat?

The ageing top coat would be nice on top of this.
chrs Andy

dingobass
05-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Quote from andypwudtone on December 4, 2012, 17:34

chrs Andy

Hey Andy,

This is the deep colour coat.
I have now applied three coats and WOW, baby it POPS!
I have used the ageing top coat on the Axe of Destiny, and it looks great! ( Photos I must post and send to you as well)

Have yet to make up my mind re: top coats, will confer with Adam and ask for his input with this....

05-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Quote from dingobass on December 4, 2012, 18:02

chrs Andy

Hey Andy,

I have used the ageing top coat on the Axe of Destiny, and it looks great! ( Photos I must post and send to you as well)

Have yet to make up my mind re: top coats, will confer with Adam and ask for his input with this....

Yes please re pics, awesome work and thank you in advance , glad it's all falling into place.

If you need any help with custom colour mixes etc , let me know kind regards

ps sent adam link to this for a bit more flexibility and some discount,
click on this link http://www.wudtone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/WUDTONE-RESELLER-SHEET-WITH-AUTO-DISCOUNT-Nov-12.xls and it should load up. Also has guidance on which kits suit which woods best.

dingobass
05-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Quote from andypwudtone on December 4, 2012, 18:31

chrs Andy

Hey Andy,

Yes please re pics, awesome work and thank you in advance , glad it's all falling into place.

click on this link http://www.wudtone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/WUDTONE-RESELLER-SHEET-WITH-AUTO-DISCOUNT-Nov-12.xls and it should load up. Also has guidance on which kits suit which woods best.

Thanks Andy!.
Pics on the way tonight..

dingobass
05-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Quote from dingobass on December 4, 2012, 18:38

Quote from andypwudtone on December 4, 2012, 18:31

chrs Andy

Hey Andy,

Thanks Andy!.
Pics on the way tonight..

Here she is after three coats of deep colour..
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/avot8-IMG_1210.JPG

pedro
10-12-2012, 11:04 AM
brilliant thanks Dingobass - I havent opened mine yet - I am saving it for a Christmas pressy from the family - that way I get to have them involved in the project...haha.

pedro
10-12-2012, 11:09 AM
I missed all your follow up with Gavin, Dingobass - I think that I will go with Wudtone also and avoide the superglue route - also I was looking at the Bunnings Shellack today - good thing I didnt get any - cheers again Pete

dingobass
11-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Quote from pedro on December 9, 2012, 20:09
I missed all your follow up with Gavin, Dingobass - I think that I will go with Wudtone also and avoide the superglue route - also I was looking at the Bunnings Shellack today - good thing I didnt get any - cheers again Pete

Hey Pedro,

You wont be dissapointed with the Wudtone.
Be patient and give each base coat a minimum of 24 hours, and finish coats 48 hours to dry between coats and you will love the results.

Enjoy the build! 8-)

pedro
14-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks Dingobass - just one question I think I will use the Carmine Gypsy on the top as the photos above are brilliant - and another colour on the sides and back (havent made my mind up yet - open to suggestions) Do I need to get a different kit for each colour from Wudtone and how do you keep the colours from seeping into each other - do you use masking tape or something similar (apologies if these are dumb questions...!) Pete

Gavin1393
14-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Quote from pedro on December 13, 2012, 22:48
Thanks Dingobass - just one question I think I will use the Carmine Gypsy on the top as the photos above are brilliant - and another colour on the sides and back (havent made my mind up yet - open to suggestions) Do I need to get a different kit for each colour from Wudtone and how do you keep the colours from seeping into each other - do you use masking tape or something similar (apologies if these are dumb questions...!) Pete

I'd go with Columbian Gold or Black Magic Woman....probably favouring the Black Magic Woman in combo with the Carmine Gypsy for the back and sides. i'll let DB answer the other questions...

dingobass
14-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 14, 2012, 06:56

Quote from pedro on December 13, 2012, 22:48

I'd go with Columbian Gold or Black Magic Woman....probably favouring the Black Magic Woman in combo with the Carmine Gypsy for the back and sides. i'll let DB answer the other questions...

Hey Pedro,

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask! :D

You won't have any problems with colours running into each other, the binding will act as a nice barrier.

I do like Gavins suggestion of using Black Magic Woman on the back and sides.

Yes, you will need to buy seperate kits for each colour, and you might like to consider adding either Gold or Silver highlights to the kit.

dingobass
15-12-2012, 12:24 AM
And here she is, LP S1 finished with Wudtone.. with added bling! :)
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/40x5t-IMG_1303.JPG

Gavin1393
15-12-2012, 03:05 AM
Quote from dingobass on December 14, 2012, 09:24

Bucket, DB that's one gorgeous looking guitar! What PUP's have you used? How does it sound?
(Actual word I would have used rhymes with bucket in case anyone is left wondering why I was referencing a Michael Jackson offspring....)

15-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 14, 2012, 12:05

Bucket, DB that's one gorgeous looking guitar! What PUP's have you used? How does it sound?
(Actual word I would have used rhymes with bucket in case anyone is left wondering why I was referencing a Michael Jackson offspring....)

here here, look fwd to hearing it and great use of gold highlights.
for info , you can use the highlights in two ways.
1 add some to the base coat and this will give a slight metallic effect to the overall result, it will also highlight/gilt curves due to light reflection.
2 rag the highlight on its own into any grain pores etc , before top coats, works well on ash to highlight the grain.

Also a good option on mahogany for a darker contrast colour is the Mahogany or Dark Onyx, these are fine particle, dye only based ( like Carmine Gypsy) and so make sure every element of grain character is popped ( as opposed to Black Magic Woman, which also contains pigment so a more solid colour, ( with enough base coats can be achieved).

Great stuff
kind regards
Andy Preston

dingobass
15-12-2012, 09:19 AM

Hey Gavin, The pups were from a LP1 kit, I thought that they would look better with the Gold bling than the black covered ones supplied with the kit.
The electrics on board are as supplied with the kit.

She sounds OK, Hoping to get to Adams tomorrow so he can plug her in and let rip. ( I am a Bass player and really crap at playing guitars)

I am sure that you will get to see more of her and how she sounds soon.. More shall be revealed later 8-)

dingobass
15-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote from andypwudtone on December 14, 2012, 17:10

here here, look fwd to hearing it and great use of gold highlights.
for info , you can use the highlights in two ways.
1 add some to the base coat and this will give a slight metallic effect to the overall result, it will also highlight/gilt curves due to light reflection.
2 rag the highlight on its own into any grain pores etc , before top coats, works well on ash to highlight the grain.

Also a good option on mahogany for a darker contrast colour is the Mahogany or Dark Onyx, these are fine particle, dye only based ( like Carmine Gypsy) and so make sure every element of grain character is popped ( as opposed to Black Magic Woman, which also contains pigment so a more solid colour, ( with enough base coats can be achieved).

Great stuff

Thanks for the input Andy.

I am doing some experiments with the Randy Rhoads inspired kit... Black Magic Woman sanded back to bare wood in places and then Carmine Gypsy over the top. Also scratched the surface up with 40 grit paper..
Then rubbed in Gold Highlights...
Interesting effect :D
kind regards
Andy Preston

wokkaboy
20-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Hello all, this is my 1st forum post, I received my LP spalted maple axe about 2 weeks ago but had a painfull 2 week wait for my wudtone kits to arrive which arrived today, I ordered the burning sun for the top and hot auburn with extra gloss for sides and back. I just finished the 1st coat on the top using burning sun and am amazed at how the 1st coat brought out the flames and other features so clearly, photos don't justify how good it looks after just 1 coat ! I think at least 3 more base coats and then will look at gold highlights and then several top coats. Thanks Dingobass for the tips on the way, I may ask for more advice when I get to the gold highlights stage. Stay tuned for more updates

Another interesting feature is if you compare my top to the Pit Bull Facebook page cover shot the grain is perfectly the same as mine so I was chuffed !
Cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/2e5z3-2012-12-19-21.44.00.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/u6cbc-2012-12-19-21.44.14.jpg

Gavin1393
21-12-2012, 01:16 AM
Looking good already!

dingobass
21-12-2012, 03:50 AM
Wokka has a few questions regarding Wudtone finish and hardware upgrades as seen on my, (now Adams), Spalt. LP.

"Did the gold coloured hardware come with the guitar as a special order or did you order that separately

Would love to see a pic of the headstock for the LP-1S.

so Phil the gold highlights did you smear them on after the last base coat ? did you only smear certain areas of the guitar ?

its all new to me, so any advice is good advice"

OK, so first part of my answer is the Gold Bling came from Stewmac, www.stewmac.com

Second part re. Gold Highlights. Apply the highlight the same way as the base coats. I covered the whole top as there will be places that don't look like they would hold any gold but there will be :D

Apply the highlight after the base coats, let cure for 24 hours, steel wool it back and then start on your top coats.

Believe it or not, I did not photograph the head stock :o
I believe that Adam did so maybe he could post a pic of it for us?

wokkaboy
21-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Hi all,
the LP-1S received its 2nd coat of wudtone base paint and the features are really starting to come out, can't wait to see it after the next coat. More updates to come as I will be on 2 weeks leave as of tomorrow.
Merry Xmas to all you guitar builders and enjoy the festive season and keep building !

cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/cw3r4-2012-12-20-20.06.43.jpg

21-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote from wokkaboy on December 20, 2012, 22:57
Hi all,
the LP-1S received its 2nd coat of wudtone base paint and the features are really starting to come out, can't wait to see it after the next coat. More updates to come as I will be on 2 weeks leave as of tomorrow.
Merry Xmas to all you guitar builders and enjoy the festive season and keep building !

cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/cw3r4-2012-12-20-20.06.43.jpg

Burning Sun is a fab colour to choose for this type of wood. I think this will have a kind of Amber Crystal glow in sunlight when you have finished. An idea for someone if they fancy trying it, hand staining a burst with Burning Sun in the middle, blended into Hot Auburn. I think it would be an awesome combo on one of these caps.

wokkaboy
23-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Hi all,
the back and sides of my LP-S1 have had 2 coats of hot auburn now, and the colour is getting a bit deeper just after the 2 coats. The colour is growing on me. Top will get its 3rd coat of burning sun tomorrow. Look forward to seeing that
Keep having fun all the enjoy the xmas break all
Cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/8o5sj-2012-12-22-17.49.19.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/xwzx0-2012-12-22-17.49.31.jpg

dingobass
23-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Quote from wokkaboy on December 22, 2012, 23:43
Hi all,
the back and sides of my LP-S1 have had 2 coats of hot auburn now, and the colour is getting a bit deeper just after the 2 coats. The colour is growing on me. Top will get its 3rd coat of burning sun tomorrow. Look forward to seeing that
Keep having fun all the enjoy the xmas break all
Cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/8o5sj-2012-12-22-17.49.19.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/xwzx0-2012-12-22-17.49.31.jpg

Looking good, Wokka!
The colours work really well together....
Good to see you are enjoying a bevvie whilst doing the finishing :)

wokkaboy
24-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Hello all,
top of LP-S1 got it's 3rd coat today, pic attached below, and the colour is getting deeper and spalt lines are more up front,
I thoroughly recommend wudtone finishes, photo's don't do justice to the finish. I've cut the headstock shape and given a coat of burning sun but that will have to wait for next update. Stay tuned

Merry christmas to all guitar builders and fans and can't wait Adam to see what shapes and models the new 23 pitbull guitars and 7 basses.
cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/o9b9h-2012-12-23-16.26.17.jpg

dingobass
24-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Quote from wokkaboy on December 23, 2012, 23:02
Hello all,
top of LP-S1 got it's 3rd coat today, pic attached below, and the colour is getting deeper and spalt lines are more up front,
I thoroughly recommend wudtone finishes, photo's don't do justice to the finish. I've cut the headstock shape and given a coat of burning sun but that will have to wait for next update. Stay tuned

Merry christmas to all guitar builders and fans and can't wait Adam to see what shapes and models the new 23 pitbull guitars and 7 basses.
cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/o9b9h-2012-12-23-16.26.17.jpg

That is really nice, Wokka!

Have a great Christmas! :D

wokkaboy
25-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote from dingobass on December 24, 2012, 07:51

That is really nice, Wokka!

Have a great Christmas! :D

Hi All,
more updates 4th base coat on the top and 2nd coat on the neck/headstock and 1st pictures of the headstock shape we chose, hope you like it cause this axe is going to have an attitude ! haha

merry xmas all

cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/yjqyg-2012-12-24-17.49.52.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/tk78o-2012-12-24-17.51.10.jpg

wokkaboy
26-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi all,
hope everyone enjoyed xmas day and didn't eat and drink too much.
Had time to apply the 5th base coat on the top and the 3rd base coat on the neck/headstock, have run out of wudtone burning sun base coat so about 2-3 more coats of hot auburn on the sides/back of the body then a few coats of gold highlights on the top followed by the aged final gloss
enjoy the rest of the festive season all axe builders and families !
cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/49d0a-2012-12-25-22.45.10.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/x5920-2012-12-25-22.46.32.jpg

dingobass
26-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Quote from wokkaboy on December 25, 2012, 23:15
Hi all,
hope everyone enjoyed xmas day and didn't eat and drink too much.
Had time to apply the 5th base coat on the top and the 3rd base coat on the neck/headstock, have run out of wudtone burning sun base coat so about 2-3 more coats of hot auburn on the sides/back of the body then a few coats of gold highlights on the top followed by the aged final gloss
enjoy the rest of the festive season all axe builders and families !
cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/49d0a-2012-12-25-22.45.10.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/x5920-2012-12-25-22.46.32.jpg

I just wet my pants!

Great work Wokka :D

wokkaboy
28-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Quote from dingobass on December 25, 2012, 23:54

I just wet my pants!

Hi all,
got a good photo lastnight, and this afternoon back/sides got its 3rd coat of hot auburn, the colour is deepening nicely

try and stay cool, good drying conditions !

cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/3cff4-2012-12-27-17.22.09.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/06n02-spalty-update-2012-12-26-23.33.43.jpg

wokkaboy
31-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on December 27, 2012, 22:16
[quote]Quote from dingobass on December 25, 2012, 23:54

I just wet my pants!

Hi all,
be prepared to wet your pants more Dingobass
1st coat of gold highlights applied and back/sides have 5 coats done.
Stay tuned for more updates with this great drying weather

cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ao07m-2012-12-30-16.36.42.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ig941-2012-12-30-16.39.46.jpg

31-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on December 30, 2012, 16:54

I just wet my pants!

Hi all,

cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ao07m-2012-12-30-16.36.42.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ig941-2012-12-30-16.39.46.jpg

I know how enjoyable it is , especially with an outcome like this!, but I would say you have got it, You don't need to use all the finish ! More gold highlights will cover / reduce the contrast of this spectacular wood. Its hard to see how it can look more awesome than is does right now.
chrs Andy Wudtone

dingobass
31-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Quote from andypwudtone on December 30, 2012, 17:36

Quote from wokkaboy on December 30, 2012, 16:54

I just wet my pants!

Hi all,

cheers Wokka

I know how enjoyable it is , especially with an outcome like this!, but I would say you have got it, You don't need to use all the finish ! More gold highlights will cover / reduce the contrast of this spectacular wood. Its hard to see how it can look more awesome than is does right now.
chrs Andy Wudtone

Ahhhhh, Grasshopper. The Apprentice has exceeded his Master.

My work here is done 8-)

I not only wet my pants a little bit of poo came out as well!

Andy is right, you have nailed it Wokka!

Time to break out the gloss finish and really blow some minds :D

Gavin1393
31-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Quote from dingobass on December 30, 2012, 20:55

Just stunning! Hope mine turns out as good!

dingobass
01-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on December 31, 2012, 07:00

I am sure it will Gavin! :D

wokkaboy
06-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Quote from dingobass on December 31, 2012, 19:32

Hi all,
all these wudtone coats take time but it's worth it, each coat you see a small (or large) improvement, latest pics are the back/sides got it's 2nd deep coat of hot auburn, probably will apply one more then the gloss finish on back/sides, then can finish the 2nd and 3rd ages gloss coat on the top, then wait a (painfull) week to cure and whack the hardware/bling on
thanks for being patient, its the only way to get the best out of the wudtone finishes
happy new year

cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/zo017-2013-01-05-16.20.48.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/587fy-2013-01-05-16.21.08.jpg

keloooe
09-01-2013, 01:15 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on January 6, 2013, 00:46

Quote from dingobass on December 31, 2012, 19:32

Hi all,
all these wudtone coats take time but it's worth it, each coat you see a small (or large) improvement, latest pics are the back/sides got it's 2nd deep coat of hot auburn, probably will apply one more then the gloss finish on back/sides, then can finish the 2nd and 3rd ages gloss coat on the top, then wait a (painfull) week to cure and whack the hardware/bling on
thanks for being patient, its the only way to get the best out of the wudtone finishes
happy new year

cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/zo017-2013-01-05-16.20.48.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/587fy-2013-01-05-16.21.08.jpg

Wokka, when placed in your backyard, it looks so amazing!!! hope mine shall turn out as good when i (evenually) get the money for a kit!

pedro
11-01-2013, 04:53 AM
Hi guys, These LP's look amazing. My Wudtone Carmen Gypsy and Columbian Gold have just arrived and I have started - can I ask a couple of questions.

It says on the directions to ensure that the cloth used to apply the base coat should be washed to avoid self ignition...!! would this be with just water or turps ??

Also any runs of the colour onto the clear edge - can they be carefully cleaned up with turps without affecting anything?

Also any tips on using ultra fine wire wool after each coat please.

Pete

11-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Quote from pedro on January 10, 2013, 13:53
Hi guys, These LP's look amazing. My Wudtone Carmen Gypsy and Columbian Gold have just arrived and I have started - can I ask a couple of questions.

It says on the directions to ensure that the cloth used to apply the base coat should be washed to avoid self ignition...!! would this be with just water or turps ??

Also any runs of the colour onto the clear edge - can they be carefully cleaned up with turps without affecting anything?

Pete

Hi Pete,
re Warning: Wash out any used cloth impregnated with this product immediately after use or store
in an airtight container (danger of self-ignition).

There is a risk that if you throw the used 4inch square of cloth into a bin, it could self ignite. Don't try to re use, make sure there is as little as possible left on the rag, soak in water and discard in a plastic bag keeping oxygen off so it can't re- ignite.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
kind regards
Andy Preston

dingobass
11-01-2013, 09:08 AM

Pete

Hey Pedro,

Do you have a LP-1 with binding?
If so, don't worry too much about the Wudtone staining the binding as when you buff each coat back you will remove the stain from the binding. You can also very carefully rub the binding with the steel wool to polish it up. Take care not to remove finish from the timber as you will end up with an annoyingly hard to cover up line!

I use 0000 Sifa brand steel wool, available at most hardware stores.

Gavin1393
11-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Quote from dingobass on January 10, 2013, 18:08
[quote]Quote from pedro on January 10, 2013, 13:53

The idea is to soak the rags in water as they position Wudtone are suggesting is that the rags may self ignite. You will then dispose of the saturated rags as they are not used again. In other words you start each coat with a fresh new rag. Make sure the rags are lint free and always use the gloves supplied (more available from Bunnings if needed and they will be- do not get the powdered variety!). The reason supplied is so as the oils in your skin do not end up on the wood, but honestly I feel its to prevent the stain turning your fingers, red, blue, yellow, green or black depending on the colour you are applying!

Make sure you don't forget the wire wool between each coat. The idea is that the wire wool will lightly scratch each coat to aid in the adhesion of the next coat of paint and at the same time perhaps remove any dust or similar that has become ingrained in the previous coat.

dingobass
11-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 10, 2013, 21:05

Quote from dingobass on January 10, 2013, 18:08
[quote]Quote from pedro on January 10, 2013, 13:53

The idea is to soak the rags in water as they position Wudtone are suggesting is that the rags may self ignite. You will then dispose of the saturated rags as they are not used again. In other words you start each coat with a fresh new rag. Make sure the rags are lint free and always use the gloves supplied (more available from Bunnings if needed and they will be- do not get the powdered variety!). The reason supplied is so as the oils in your skin do not end up on the wood, but honestly I feel its to prevent the stain turning your fingers, red, blue, yellow, green or black depending on the colour you are applying.
Make sure you don't forget the wire wool between each coat. The idea is that the wire wool will lightly scratch each coat to aid in the adhesion of the next coat of paint and at the same time perhaps remove any dust or similar that has become ingrained in the previous coat.

Wot Gavin said :D
I dispose of used rags by turning my glove inside out with the rag inside, then I add some water and tie the glove end in a knot and chuck it inna bin.

pedro
11-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Great stuff - thanks guys - pretty much what I was doing apart from cleaning the binding - but I have only used one coat so no harm done. And thanks for the advice re the rags - I had put them in an ice cream container in water ready for disposal.

Cheers,

PS its looking great already !!

Gavin1393
11-01-2013, 01:25 PM
[b]Quote from dingobass on January 10, 2013, 21:46
I dispose of used rags by turning my glove inside out with the rag inside, then I add some water and tie the glove end in a knot and chuck it inna bin.

Inna bin? Is that near Innaloo?

dingobass
11-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 10, 2013, 22:25

[b]Quote from dingobass on January 10, 2013, 21:46

Inna bin? Is that near Innaloo?

Right next door ;)

pedro
12-01-2013, 12:49 AM
thanks Andy. Great advice. Also I dont recall seeing any posts on finishing the neck - would I continue with the Columbian Gold up the neck or would the Carmine Gypsy look better?

keloooe
12-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Quote from andypwudtone on January 10, 2013, 16:53

Pete

Hi Pete,
re Warning: Wash out any used cloth impregnated with this product immediately after use or store
in an airtight container (danger of self-ignition).

There is a risk that if you throw the used 4inch square of cloth into a bin, it could self ignite. Don't try to re use, make sure there is as little as possible left on the rag, soak in water and discard in a plastic bag keeping oxygen off so it can't re- ignite.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
kind regards
Andy Preston

So now I know the one bad side to Wudtone...

Gavin1393
12-01-2013, 02:57 AM
Quote from pedro on January 11, 2013, 09:49
thanks Andy. Great advice. Also I dont recall seeing any posts on finishing the neck - would I continue with the Columbian Gold up the neck or would the Carmine Gypsy look better?

Hi Pedro

There are specific finishes for the neck...

Vintage Yellow
Vintage Amber, and
colourless

Not sure that I would paint the neck in the body colours....

wokkaboy
12-01-2013, 03:57 AM

Hi Pete/Pedro,
I also used painters tape on the binding to save rubbing back the binding after each coat. Be careful take your time applying the tape so you still see about 1mm of the white part of the binding so you 100% know the wudtone is being applied right to the edge of the wood.
Because I am lazy I am doing about 3 coats on back/sides, then removing the tape, and re-applying tape to coat the top for 2 or 3 coats.
This will keep the thickness of the binding and you can rub off any paint before the top coats

attached lastnight I got the top coat extra gloss aged hot auburn to back sides, should get 2 more coats out of the bottle, then its the final two coats of top gloss on the top

You are right Dingobass it all takes time the 10 or so coats for top and back/sides but it's all worth it.

I ended up coating my neck (all over) same colour as the top, burning sun and its come up pretty good as its not a very dark yellow stain

cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/5h847-2013-01-10-21.49.32.jpg

pedro
12-01-2013, 06:41 AM
mmm....the self igniting rags sound a bit ominous but I have taken DB's advice on that one.Thanks again everyone.

Pete

pedro
12-01-2013, 06:44 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 11, 2013, 11:57

Hi Pedro

Vintage Yellow
Vintage Amber, and
colourless

haha Gav, I may have to take out another mortgage to get more Wudtone..

dingobass
12-01-2013, 06:53 AM
Quote from pedro on January 11, 2013, 15:44

Hi Pedro

Vintage Yellow
Vintage Amber, and
colourless

Hey Pedro,

I have used colour on necks with mixed results.

The colour works well on Mahogany necks, but on the Rock Maple necks it won't penetrate quite as much leaving more of a translucent effect.

pedro
12-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Thanks DB I think the Carmine Gypsy will look good on the headstock but I might get some clear laquer for the neck??- by the way (another thing....) any advice on where I can get a template for cutting the headstock on the LP?

12-01-2013, 08:43 AM

Hi Pedro

Vintage Yellow
Vintage Amber, and
colourless

HI Guys we have four different tints designed for maple necks, I can't seem to paste a URL on here , but you can find them in our online shop.
Original Vintage Yellow, ideal for the old fender yellow you see on tele's etc
Aged Vintage Yellow ( my fave) , great for older looking results!
Vintage Amber, think years of nicotine staining from smoky bars
and colourless

These are designed for maple, and you want to rag on extremely thinly ( avoid an excess etc) to avoid streaking, after 3/4 really thin coats you will have nice even tint, some folks stop at 2 some do more , depends on your taste and so very versatile. I tend to control it so the main playing area on the back is lighter than the head stock and heel ends , Then apply top coats 2-3 also really thin is usually enough ( you don't use very much product at all) , If like me you like silky feel, leave to cure a week or two , very lightly dull with some fine steel wool whip on some axe wax or similar and rock on!

That's Maple , for Mahogany, I think you guys are on it , dye only kits with suitable colours such as Mahogany, Hot Auburn etc work lovely, but so does Azure Lagoon if you want a greeny blue neck! The natural colour of the wood and the dye determine the end result!
The coloumbian gold has both dyes and pigment so will colour well and give a richer darker end result.

Lastly enough coats of a pigment based kit such as dairy Blonde will solid colour!
kind regards Andy Preston

see here

12-01-2013, 08:48 AM

Hi Pedro

Vintage Yellow
Vintage Amber, and
colourless

Hi Pedro,
Is this a mahogany body / set neck guitar? If so, I would continue up the neck with the same finish ( sounds like Columbian Gold ) you have used on the mahogany back and sides. If its a mple neck see other post. chrs Andy Preston

GlennGP
13-01-2013, 04:13 AM
Quote from andypwudtone on January 11, 2013, 17:48

Hi Pedro,
Is this a mahogany body / set neck guitar? If so, I would continue up the neck with the same finish ( sounds like Columbian Gold ) you have used on the mahogany back and sides. If its a mple neck see other post. chrs Andy Preston

Hi Andy,

Are you still posting to Australia, or not until further notice?

Ta,

GGP

13-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Quote from GlennGP on January 12, 2013, 13:13

Quote from andypwudtone on January 11, 2013, 17:48

Hi Pedro,

Hi Andy,

Are you still posting to Australia, or not until further notice?

Ta,

GGP
Hi GGP, YES, gearing up to make a shipment direct to PITBULL of a range of body and necks colours next week! So should be on Australian soil a week to ten days later. If you let Adam know what you want it can go on the shopping list!

Here is you have any further questions.

GlennGP
13-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Quote from andypwudtone on January 12, 2013, 16:01

Hi GGP, YES, gearing up to make a shipment direct to PITBULL of a range of body and necks colours next week! So should be on Australian soil a week to ten days later. If you let Adam know what you want it can go on the shopping list!

Here is you have any further questions.

Ah, excellent news!

GGP

dingobass
13-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Quote from pedro on January 11, 2013, 17:00
Thanks DB I think the Carmine Gypsy will look good on the headstock but I might get some clear laquer for the neck??- by the way (another thing....) any advice on where I can get a template for cutting the headstock on the LP?

Hey Pedro,

I always make my own out of cardboard. trace around it and cut with jigsaw....

I guess you could look at photos on the net, or go to your local Axe shop and secretly trace a Gibson headstock :P

Gavin1393
13-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Quote from dingobass on January 12, 2013, 20:53

Quote from pedro on January 11, 2013, 17:00

Hey Pedro,

I always make my own out of cardboard. trace around it and cut with jigsaw....

I guess you could look at photos on the net, or go to your local Axe shop and secretly trace a Gibson headstock :P

Here is one....

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=gibson+headstock+template&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#biv=i|0;d|DEf9lY-KercF7M:

keloooe
14-01-2013, 01:40 AM
Quote from andypwudtone on January 11, 2013, 17:43

Hi Pedro

Vintage Yellow
Vintage Amber, and
colourless

HI Guys we have four different tints designed for maple necks, I can't seem to paste a URL on here , but you can find them in our online shop.
Original Vintage Yellow, ideal for the old fender yellow you see on tele's etc
Aged Vintage Yellow ( my fave) , great for older looking results!
Vintage Amber, think years of nicotine staining from smoky bars
and colourless

These are designed for maple, and you want to rag on extremely thinly ( avoid an excess etc) to avoid streaking, after 3/4 really thin coats you will have nice even tint, some folks stop at 2 some do more , depends on your taste and so very versatile. I tend to control it so the main playing area on the back is lighter than the head stock and heel ends , Then apply top coats 2-3 also really thin is usually enough ( you don't use very much product at all) , If like me you like silky feel, leave to cure a week or two , very lightly dull with some fine steel wool whip on some axe wax or similar and rock on!

That's Maple , for Mahogany, I think you guys are on it , dye only kits with suitable colours such as Mahogany, Hot Auburn etc work lovely, but so does Azure Lagoon if you want a greeny blue neck! The natural colour of the wood and the dye determine the end result!
The coloumbian gold has both dyes and pigment so will colour well and give a richer darker end result.

Lastly enough coats of a pigment based kit such as dairy Blonde will solid colour!

see here

Hey Andy, how would Dark Onyx suit a basswood neck????
Or what similar colour could I apply to give my neck a nice dark shade???

Cheers,
Callum

stui
23-01-2013, 09:31 PM
I am doing some experiments with the Randy Rhoads inspired kit... Black Magic Woman sanded back to bare wood in places and then Carmine Gypsy over the top. Also scratched the surface up with 40 grit paper..

Hey Dingobass, did you take any photos of this experiment? I was thinking of doing something similar and would love to know how it turned out...

dingobass
23-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Quote from stui on January 23, 2013, 06:31

Hey Dingobass, did you take any photos of this experiment? I was thinking of doing something similar and would love to know how it turned out...

Hey Stui,

I put this one down as a failed experiment... it looked pretty terrible. It may have looked alright without the deep scratches though.

I have left it on the sides though because it works OK there.
Gives the beast a worn look.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/w405y-IMG_1361.JPG

stui
24-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Quote from dingobass on January 23, 2013, 07:49

Quote from stui on January 23, 2013, 06:31

Hey Stui,

I put this one down as a failed experiment... it looked pretty terrible. It may have looked alright without the deep scratches though.

I have left it on the sides though because it works OK there.
Gives the beast a worn look.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/w405y-IMG_1361.JPG
Yeah, probably not what I was looking for...

How would Carmine Gypsy work with Black Magic Woman in a burst effect in your opinion?

Gavin1393
24-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Phil, this is EXACTLY how my BLACK MAGIC WOMAN LP turned out...I kept sanding and sanding to the point where I ran out of paint and had to redo the binding.

Part of the issue (according to my cabinet maker friend) is that the wood of the guitar arrives in a 'polished' state and remains polished despite by the sanding efforts using 180 - 240 grit. He encouraged me to buy a 'toothbrush' shaped brass and steel brush which I then used to rough-up the polished finish. You can see this 'polished' effect on the sides where it appears 'patchy'.
I have also discovered that the filler that the manaufacturer uses does not absorb the Wudtone paint. The trick here is to remove sufficient of their top layer of filler and replace this with Timbermate Maple or similar.

keloooe
24-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 23, 2013, 09:12
Phil, this is EXACTLY how my BLACK MAGIC WOMAN LP turned out...I kept sanding and sanding to the point where I ran out of paint and had to redo the binding.

Part of the issue (according to my cabinet maker friend) is that the wood of the guitar arrives in a 'polished' state and remains polished despite by the sanding efforts using 180 - 240 grit. He encouraged me to buy a 'toothbrush' shaped brass and steel brush which I then used to rough-up the polished finish. You can see this 'polished' effect on the sides where it appears 'patchy'.
I have also discovered that the filler that the manaufacturer uses does not absorb the Wudtone paint. The trick here is to remove sufficient of their top layer of filler and replace this with Timbermate Maple or similar.

So, with my LP, instead of just sanding, I should give it a bit of a rough up with 0000 grade steel wool and then use the Wudtone???

Gavin1393
24-01-2013, 12:52 AM
0000 is super fine steel wool....unlikely to do any roughing up of any significant proportions....you need to use the steel / brass brush!

keloooe
24-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 23, 2013, 09:52
0000 is super fine steel wool....unlikely to do any roughing up of any significant proportions....you need to use the steel / brass brush!

Anywhere I can get it from????

Gavin1393
24-01-2013, 02:20 AM
Under $3 at Bunnings...

keloooe
24-01-2013, 03:07 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 23, 2013, 11:20
Under $3 at Bunnings...

Sweet! Still sand the body a bit???

Gavin1393
24-01-2013, 03:59 AM
Yes, you need to sand the body to get rid of any scratches and dings (although depending on the ding you could use water and an iron (but that's another story). Make sure you sand with the grain...if no more scratches you will produce a nice looking guitar otherwise the Wudtone will highlight all the scratches you don't want to see!

If you are going to use the steel brush try and scrape with the grain....the Wudtone Coats will eventually make the rough feel smooth as you layer the paint. Simply make it look nice and then start painting. Remember that "Less is more", a little Wudtone goes a long way, particularly after the first coat...you want your coats to be as thin as possible. Whilst they may appear streaky at first this will level as the paint cures. I'm starting to sound just like Phil.....

pedro
24-01-2013, 04:56 AM
OK all done - colours, electrics all hardware....but one problem remains please guys - the measurement from the nut to the 12th is 31cm the measurement from the 12th to bridge is 32cm. Is it ok to remove some of the neck ??

Gavin1393
24-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Quote from pedro on January 23, 2013, 13:56
OK all done - colours, electrics all hardware....but one problem remains please guys - the measurement from the nut to the 12th is 31cm the measurement from the 12th to bridge is 32cm. Is it ok to remove some of the neck ??

Pedro,

Part of that measurement is a tolerance called "compensation" this is usually only around 2mm or thereabouts. 10mm seems to be too much. Is the saddle in the right spot or can it be adjusted to the correct scale length?

I'd be surprised if the scale length was wrong on the guitar....we have had a similar question on the forum before and the guitar was actually fine. There was no need to cut into the neck.

keloooe
24-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 23, 2013, 12:59
Yes, you need to sand the body to get rid of any scratches and dings (although depending on the ding you could use water and an iron (but that's another story). Make sure you sand with the grain...if no more scratches you will produce a nice looking guitar otherwise the Wudtone will highlight all the scratches you don't want to see!

If you are going to use the steel brush try and scrape with the grain....the Wudtone Coats will eventually make the rough feel smooth as you layer the paint. Simply make it look nice and then start painting. Remember that "Less is more", a little Wudtone goes a long way, particularly after the first coat...you want your coats to be as thin as possible. Whilst they may appear streaky at first this will level as the paint cures. I'm starting to sound just like Phil.....

Alrighty then, advice taken!!!

keloooe
24-01-2013, 05:55 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 23, 2013, 14:12

Quote from pedro on January 23, 2013, 13:56

Pedro,

Part of that measurement is a tolerance called "compensation" this is usually only around 2mm or thereabouts. 10mm seems to be too much. Is the saddle in the right spot or can it be adjusted to the correct scale length?

I'd be surprised if the scale length was wrong on the guitar....we have had a similar question on the forum before and the guitar was actually fine. There was no need to cut into the neck.

*cough* Phil *cough*

Gavin1393
24-01-2013, 06:22 AM
Progress - two gloss coats later...
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/114ny-spalty-001.gif

pedro
24-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Thanks Gav, although the saddle cannot be in any other location (can it??) - the measurements are right..31/32..I will take your word for it and carry on assuming that everything is correct....cheers.

adam
24-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Hey Pedro, what kit have you got, an LP-1S? If that's the kit, then you should be right to bolt on the neck. They go to a lot of trouble to make sure the necks and bodies match and sit at the right distance to the bridge post holes. I haven't come across one yet that has been "out". The saddles on the bridge can be moved individually; there's a screw that moves each saddle back and forth. Let us know if you still have issues. But, I reiterate what Gav said, please don't cut any length off the neck (I learned that the hard way, it was just my poor measuring).

pedro
24-01-2013, 08:39 AM
It looks beautiful - I have just sent you a photo - not sure if I have the saddle right - but it sure looks good. I am very proud of this lovely piece of kit...haha

adam
24-01-2013, 09:42 AM
This would be yours Pedro? Sen-friggin-sational.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/48y6y-LP1S-Pete-1.jpg

Gavin1393
24-01-2013, 09:57 AM
What a beautiful looking guitar. Excellent job.

I need to relook at my LP, but it looks like the bridge and saddle is one that you have acquired rather than the one that came with the kit? They seem to be the same width. I'd wind the saddle right back towards the fretboard.... And remeasure. Also read up on intonation...if this is not compensated for, or if you get it wrong it will be impossible to tune your guitar properly.

adam
24-01-2013, 10:07 AM
It looks to be the standard "Tune-o-matic" style bridge supplied with all our "G" type kits.

pedro
25-01-2013, 01:23 AM
Hi Gavin - yes this is all the gear that came with the kit - that was why I was concerned about the distance issue - there was no way to adjust anything greater than a couple of mm's -

in any case I now have another problem (is it me...??) the pickups were working perfectly and the three way switch was fine - now I have closed the system screwed the covers and the pickups in place - I am now getting nothing...!! plugged into my amp not a sound - I now have it all apart and triple checked again the wiring is all intact and correct, the amp has been checked on my tele fine - I am baffled #@#$!!- would you suggest replacing the three way switch or is there a way of isolating the problem - any help would be most greatfully recieved....

cheers

pablopepper
25-01-2013, 02:13 AM
A very sexy axe Pedro. The black hardware and those pickups really set it off. Well done.

dingobass
25-01-2013, 04:24 AM
Quote from pedro on January 24, 2013, 10:23
Hi Gavin - yes this is all the gear that came with the kit - that was why I was concerned about the distance issue - there was no way to adjust anything greater than a couple of mm's -

in any case I now have another problem (is it me...??) the pickups were working perfectly and the three way switch was fine - now I have closed the system screwed the covers and the pickups in place - I am now getting nothing...!! plugged into my amp not a sound - I now have it all apart and triple checked again the wiring is all intact and correct, the amp has been checked on my tele fine - I am baffled #@#$!!- would you suggest replacing the three way switch or is there a way of isolating the problem - any help would be most greatfully recieved....

cheers

Hey Pedro,

Check that you don't have a short circuit in there.
A single stray strand of wire can be enough to do it.

Also check that your pup mounting screws haven't gone through a wire, had that one happen to me...

Other than that, get your multi meter out and start checking for continuity.

If you don't have a MM you can make a simple circuit tester out of a d cell battery, torch bulb and two lengths of wire.

tape a wire to each pole on the batt, cut one wire in half and solder the torch bulb to it. Simple but effective.

Gavin1393
25-01-2013, 04:26 AM
Quote from pedro on January 24, 2013, 10:23

cheers

Hate it when that happens! I might be stating the bleeding obvious here , but when you tested everything had you already soldered all the joints? If not, the first thing I would check for is a dry joint, in other words, a point where the solder hasn't properly adhered to the joint or pot case. Often a good idea to rough up the joint or pot case with some sandpaper to clear any protective covering and to give the solder something to adhere to. Also important to make sure you 'wick' the end of the wire cables with solder before soldering these to any joint.
This seems to be the issue since it is unlikely that something that was working when tested would suddenly stop working. It is possible of course.

Hence, have a look at each joint, make sure it is firmly soldered, otherwise resolder.

Hope this solves the problem. If it doesn't it then become a process of eliminating parts and having another go. It just doesnt make sense to me that both pickups arent working, so the switch is, I agree, a starting point but so too is the output Jack....

pedro
25-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks Adam, I checked and rechecked the wiring against the diagram and all of the soldered joints - no problem - the only thing I didnt check was the last thing I put in which was where I had to drill the path for the earth from the bridge post to the tone pot - because I had cut the wire a bit short - I took the earth to the nearest tone pot and thought that would be ok (assuming it didnt matter which tone pot) - but when I followed the diagram I re-routed the earth to the further tone pot.......and of course, it worked !!!!....everything is now well with the world....cheers mate.

Pete

pedro
25-01-2013, 07:25 AM
....oh and thanks also to you Gavin - invaluable advice and great response times.

pedro
25-01-2013, 07:28 AM
....and thanks to you DingoBase (I should have read these replies before putting in my solution - but my excitment got the better of me) ...!!

dingobass
25-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Ahh, the evil earth wire.

So that means that both Gavin and I were wrong!

Dammit, I hate that when that happens! :D

Glad it is all sorted now, these things can be very frustrating!

Gavin1393
25-01-2013, 08:12 AM
I'm always wrong, just ask my wife!

dingobass
25-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 24, 2013, 17:12
I'm always wrong, just ask my wife!

Yep....... just like I am the boss at home and I have my Fiona's permission to say so!

GlennGP
25-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks for sharing, Pedro, helps the rest of us avoid the same mistakes!

Cheers,

GGP

Gavin1393
25-01-2013, 10:14 AM
It is important to check everything works before finally soldering up and attaching all the electronic parts. Unfortunately in this case, the earth wasn't part of the checking process and this is a mistake anyone of us could easily have made. It sure sent DB and myself into diagnostic mode because if everything worked beforehand it really should have worked after....

Hence, important to be complete and thorough in the check beforehand. Damn difficult when all you want to do is plug the thing in and strum that first chord!

If everything is working and then isnt once all is connected and in place then refer back to the thread and the answer could be found in DB's or my post otherwise we are still blood well wrong.... :D

adam
25-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Glad you solved the problem Pedro and well done Forum Team!

keloooe
25-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Quote from adam on January 24, 2013, 22:00

Yes, we'll done to you guys, I was reading the whole thing and was really confused...

pedro
26-01-2013, 04:08 AM
Quote from keloooe on January 25, 2013, 05:26

Quote from adam on January 24, 2013, 22:00

Yes, we'll done to you guys, I was reading the whole thing and was really confused...

...me too....haha

wokkaboy
28-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Quote from pedro on January 24, 2013, 16:28
....and thanks to you DingoBase (I should have read these replies before putting in my solution - but my excitment got the better of me) ...!!

Hi all quick update bolted burning sun Spalty together today Here's some quick pics. Sounds as Good as it looks. Will post better pics soon. Cheers wokka

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/bir0u-facebook_-1325440009.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/w8v37-facebook_-1412348300.jpg

keloooe
28-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Quote from wokkaboy on January 28, 2013, 00:41

Hi all quick update bolted burning sun Spalty together today Here's some quick pics. Sounds as Good as it looks. Will post better pics soon. Cheers wokka

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/bir0u-facebook_-1325440009.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/w8v37-facebook_-1412348300.jpg
I needed more than one pair of sunnies to see that!!! Love the shaped headstock!!!

wokkaboy
29-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Quote from keloooe on January 28, 2013, 05:27

I needed more than one pair of sunnies to see that!!! Love the shaped headstock!!!

Hi all,
here's a photo of spalty strung and not in direct sunlight (no sunnies required Kelooe), burning sun wudtone seems to attract this axe to reflecting sun but here's his new pal sunshine strat.

Take care all and keep enjoying your builds

cheers Wokka 4D
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/52hin-2013-01-28-19.08.50.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2te77-2013-01-28-19.08.04.jpg

keloooe
29-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Quote from wokkaboy on January 28, 2013, 20:41

Quote from keloooe on January 28, 2013, 05:27

Hi all,
here's a photo of spalty strung and not in direct sunlight (no sunnies required Kelooe), burning sun wudtone seems to attract this axe to reflecting sun but here's his new pal sunshine strat.

Take care all and keep enjoying your builds

cheers Wokka 4D
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/52hin-2013-01-28-19.08.50.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2te77-2013-01-28-19.08.04.jpg
Phew! Thanks wokka! Lets hope my LP won't attract the sun...

Alkay
26-04-2016, 07:26 PM
Wow she looks awesome. Great work.

chrissyinbkk
03-06-2017, 01:47 AM
I love this thread, exactly what i want to do with my first kit when it arrives