PDA

View Full Version : Introducing the Pit Bull Guitars "Team"

adam
23-11-2012, 08:04 AM
I thought this might be a good place to introduce the Pit Bull Guitars team, so you have a better idea of who you're dealing with if/when you choose to buy from, or interact with, our website.

First off, I use the term "team" loosely, because there are only two people involved; myself (Adam) and my business partner, Phil Watson. I handle the website, ordering and the boring business stuff and Phil handles distribution. FYI, Phil is also a cabinet maker, so his experience was invaluable when we got our very first kits.

Now, I'm not a Luthier, as anyone who has seen my attempts at painting and assembling our kits can attest. I'm just a guitarist and entrepreneur who saw a fantastic business opportunity and the possibility for a positive online community.

The genesis of Pit Bull Guitars actually came about when I purchased a kit from another Australian kit supplier. My experience with this company was actually quite positive (contrary to many other experiences I've heard about). I ordered a kit and it arrived within a week. It was what was in the box, however, that got my mind racing.

In short, apart from the kit, there was nothing in the box. No instructions, no hints, no tips, nothing. I was on my own. Their website was equally sparse on any information for the particular model kit (Jazzmaster) I had purchased. Where was the wiring diagram? How do I put in the pick ups? I had a lot of unanswered questions and there seemed to be no help from the supplier.

It was then I thought, "I could do a much better job at this". With that, Pit Bull Guitars was born.

My history: I worked in the music industry (retail and wholesale) for over 25 years. Most notably, I worked for Music Link, in Melbourne, for 6 years in the 90's. Music Link distributed Korg, Pearl, Zildjian, D'Addario and many other household names in musical instruments. It was a great experience and the skills I gained there, in importing, sales and customer service, I've applied to this business.

Pit Bull Guitars is not about making money; I have a high level, well paid job with the Western Australian government. My passion, however, is with music and, more specifically, guitars.

I have played guitar since I was about 12 (more than 35 years ago!) and I currently play in a recently "Exhumed" band, The Coburn Sound.

My simple aim for this business (and website) is to sell enough quality product to invest in even more quality products and back every one of those those products up with an instructional video and a comprehensive, interactive community forum. Ultimately, I would like to have any kit you could think of (guitar and bass) in stock and ready to ship. You should also be able to mix and match parts; if you want a rosewood fretboard instead of maple you should have that option. If you want better pick ups, you should be able to add them to your order.

To achieve this aim, I am relying on word of mouth to spread the Pit Bull Guitars brand. If you have had a positive experience dealing with us then you can help us with our mission by mentioning us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc).

I'm genuinely excited about where this humble business could go once we really get rolling and I look forward to sharing the experience with everyone on this forum.

Thank you all for being involved from the start!

ncass81
23-11-2012, 10:53 AM
I have been telling everyone about Pitbull guitars since recieving my Kit, is there any more T shirts we can purchase just as some advertising for you? especially those of us that play in bands (not me im a crap player). But so far i would have to say you are well on your way with the product, service and help that you offer.

adam
23-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks Nick. I'm not selling the shirts, but I'm happy to send you another shirt if you want. What size (M, L or XL}?

pablopepper
23-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Well Adam, I'm glad I stumbled upon your reddit post that evening as I have enjoyed building my kit immensely.

Over the years I have resprayed and tinkered with a few of my cheaper guitars and have always worked on/set up all my own instruments. Maybe a year ago I found a few guitar kits on eBay and was tempted, but the price and shipping costs coupled with the thought of doing something like this with no instruction put me off. When I saw your site though, I was sold. Other than the price, the videos and the idea of an active forum convinced me that I could actually build my own playable guitar.

It's taken almost three months, but my Tl-1 is almost done and I couldn't be happier. I've made a few mistakes, sure, but I felt like I was learning something at every step. It's not even put together and I already feel as though this has been one of the most rewarding things I've done for quite a few years.

Thank you.

adam
23-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Quote from pablopepper on November 22, 2012, 20:56
Well Adam, I'm glad I stumbled upon your reddit post that evening as I have enjoyed building my kit immensely.

Over the years I have resprayed and tinkered with a few of my cheaper guitars and have always worked on/set up all my own instruments. Maybe a year ago I found a few guitar kits on eBay and was tempted, but the price and shipping costs coupled with the thought of doing something like this with no instruction put me off. When I saw your site though, I was sold. Other than the price, the videos and the idea of an active forum convinced me that I could actually build my own playable guitar.

It's taken almost three months, but my Tl-1 is almost done and I couldn't be happier. I've made a few mistakes, sure, but I felt like I was learning something at every step. It's not even put together and I already feel as though this has been one of the most rewarding things I've done for quite a few years.

Thank you.

Thanks PabloPepper, this is exactly the kind of feedback I got into this for. People sharing the thrill of making their own instruments. Hope we get to see some photos of your TL-1 one day soon.

BTW, well done for making it out of Reddit.

dingobass
24-11-2012, 04:33 AM
It has been great reading the posts from folk that have recieved great enjoyment from building thier own Pit Bull Axe!
I got my start in Lutherie from building a kit Bass, and with lots of time and patience I have reached a point where I now build Custom axes for folk who want something a little different.

Then I discovered Pit Bull and bought a TL1, then a LP. Now I am building Guitars as well! - the Axe of Destiny is my first scratch built Guitar....

So, if a guy who was first a Boiler Maker and then a Stone Mason can build 'em, so can any one with a few wood working skills, a reasonable tool collection and a Man or Girl Cave.... Oh, and a wonderful understanding and supportive partner helps as well ;)

Build a few kits and then "slap a few pieces of tree together", and build one from scratch!

adam
24-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Quote from dmac on November 23, 2012, 19:16

1. modify then make effects pedals (Adam, you should have called me... 8-)

Now you tell me dmac! I would love some custom pedals. We will talk more about this.

Now, seeing as I have the benefit of your expansive knowledge and experience... what do you have to say about arranging pedals?

I've done a bit of research and there seems to be a "standard" order and then any number of different orders, many the complete opposite of the standard order.

After experimentation, I've settled on:

Guitar - Compressor/Limiter (Rack) - Tuner - Wah (Dunlop) - Bluesdrive - Boss OD-3 - Delay - Chorus - Amp.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

24-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote from adam on November 23, 2012, 19:45
Now you tell me dmac! I would love some custom pedals. We will talk more about this.

Now, seeing as I have the benefit of your expansive knowledge and experience... what do you have to say about arranging pedals?

You misspelled "expensive". :D

Guitar - Compressor/Limiter (Rack) - Tuner - Wah (Dunlop) - Bluesdrive - Boss OD-3 - Delay - Chorus - Amp.

If that's the way it sounds best to your ears, then you're 100% correct. But it is the order I'd probably use. :)

I don't know whether you've experimented with the location of the compressor (which looks like meaning borrow a pedal one and try it out :D ) but it can have a pleasing result if installed after the wah and distortions- it changes the dynamics completely.

pablopepper
24-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Dmac, any suggestions on how to get started building pedals?

That sounds like something I could really get into. :)

24-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Quote from dmac on November 23, 2012, 21:37

You misspelled "expensive", for a start. :D

If that's the way it sounds best to your ears, then you're 100% correct. But it is the order I'd probably use. :)

I don't know whether you've experimented with the location of the compressor (which looks like meaning borrow a pedal one and try it out :D ) but it can have a pleasing result if installed after the wah and distortions- it changes the dynamics completely.

I should add- there is a surprising amount of information out there for a musician to use, if he or she has their eyes and ears open.

These are two of them:

1. The jukebox at a venue is your set list. It only contains the music the punters pay for, sorry, like. If you're a boogie blues band and it's full of Justin Beiber, you've got problems. You don't have to play precisely what is on the jukebox, otherwise they'd play the jukebox; but trend to that style of music.

2. Have a look at the order of effects on a multi-effect box, like a Boss GT8 or whatever they're up to (it's been a while). Boss isn't in the business of selling bad sounds (he says with a straight face*), so the order on a multi board is a good order to put your pedals in to start experimenting. The best multi board of all time, the Boss ME5, will tell you a lot. The ME5 isn't an emulator- it actually had the majority of the effects' circuits in there. So when you dialled in Distortion, it really was a DS1. The Compressor really was a CS2. The Delay was a DD3, the overdrive a OD1, the reverb out of the RV series, the noise gate a NF1... And it goes on- but you get the idea.

I'll leave it up to the gentle reader to do some research on that and other multi effects.

* p.s. look what happens to your signal going through 10 Boss buffers. They aren't very good...

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/5q95b-including-10-boss-pedals.png

24-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Quote from dmac on November 23, 2012, 19:16
Well, I'm completely the opposite of Adam in many ways.

My original qualifications are in law. I became involved in my first serious band at uni (where it was a choice of study or sex, drugs, rock and roll... No choice really.) I tried working in law for a few years and finally admitted hatred and defeat.

Since moving across to music full time, I've learned how to:

1. modify then make effects pedals (Adam, you should have called me... 8-)
2. modify then make amps
3. modify then make guitars.

I forgot to mention- I also went back to college and got a certificate in Music Business a few years ago. I try and do a bit of mentoring of young people and convincing them to be a young band instead. And sometimes I have to say that their ambition exceeds their talent, or their ego is not warranted. Yes it hurts sometimes. Deal with it. It's cut throat out there.

24-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Quote from pablopepper on November 23, 2012, 21:53
Dmac, any suggestions on how to get started building pedals?

That sounds like something I could really get into. :)

You can get kits to kick things off. General Guitar Gadgets sell a lot of good kits, as do BYOC. Next step is that a lot of places sell PCBs, and then a lot of places also distribute some ideas.

There are some really unwarranted egos out there in FX land, so set your skin to "rhino" before you venture out.

But it's 7am and I got home an hour ago. I'm getting too old for this 5h!t.

dingobass
25-11-2012, 01:31 PM
On a different note.....

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting Adam.
Adam's passion for people being able to build thier dream axe is to be admired.

It has been a pleasure and a honour to be a part of this forum and to share with others the knowledge that I have gained, and to learn from others who have posted tips, tricks and how to's.

With folk on the forum who's knowledge is mind blowing, I hope that this forum and Pit Bull will grow and more people will be able to follow thier dream and have that special axe!

I urge any one who buys a kit to read through this forum, and to ask any questions they may have regarding thier build to do so.

Happy building!

26-11-2012, 01:30 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on November 24, 2012, 22:31
With folk on the forum who's knowledge is mind blowing

Nah, you're flattering me again, dingobass. Basically I just know where to look, and hopefully we can make this forum one of those places for everyone.

dingobass
26-11-2012, 07:53 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote on November 25, 2012, 10:30

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on November 24, 2012, 22:31
With folk on the forum, who's knowledge is mind blowing

Nah, you're flattering me again, dingobass. Basically I just know where to look, and hopefully we can make this forum one of those places for everyone.

Knowing where to look is the key to knowledge.
I have learned more from your postings over the past few months than I had in all my years around Basses and Guitars and I am sure I will learn even more.
Thanks Mate! 8-)