PDA

View Full Version : Sanding dust

dingobass
16-11-2012, 09:08 AM
One of the most important things to remember when sanding is
WEAR BREATHING PROTECTION, even if you are doing it outside...

Most hobby builders wont have dust extraction, so it is advisable to get some paper dust masks, these are in expensive but will protect your lungs!

This will be really important for those of you who will be sanding the Spalted timber kits.

Spalting is caused by a fungal infection, and this can be a major irritant if you don't wear a mask.
I am speaking from experience here.

Even when sanding outside, it is a good idea to have a fan set up to blow the dust away from you, but still wear a mask as there is always some dust that will get up your nose, and believe me, that can make some very interesting snot.

Hobastard
08-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Also Bear in mind, Tasmanian Blackwood apparently has a barbed Cell Structure, or something like that. Sawdust entering the Respiratory Tract is difficult to get back out again and has been the cause of many a Respiratory Tract Problem with Those working the Timber, down here in the past... It is quite well known in Tassie, but I'm not sure how well known on the North Island.....

Respiratory Protection is a Must.....

dingobass
22-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Spot on Hobie..
My all time fave timber to build with, and it just happens to be the hardest on tools and the lungs..
Tassie Blackwood has a high silica content, hense its ability to dull cutting edges and screw with ya lungs.