PDA

View Full Version : Hearing...

14-11-2012, 05:50 AM
...on stage, in rehearsals and practice, and in the workshop. And maybe even from your partner.

I do bring it up a lot, and I will not stop bringing it up.

Protect your hearing. Hearing loss is a sneaking thing and irreversible. At one stage I taught OH&S at a music business course, and they got tested. Even loud iPod buds are affecting a generation.

You reckon I'm joking? Here is shredmeister and all round nice guy Paul Gilbert from not that long ago, who started wearing these on stage after he realised that years of 100 Watt Marshalls is causing him real hearing loss.

Do yourself a favour. As Vai says, protect your hearing more than your "bits". (Signed Uncle dMac)

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/56w08-505670559_554778fe71.jpg

(There is also something unusual about the bottom neck. You can work it out!)

dingobass
14-11-2012, 06:38 AM
Quote from dmac on November 13, 2012, 14:50
...on stage, in rehearsals and practice, and in the workshop. And maybe even from your partner.

Protect your hearing. Hearing loss is a sneaking thing and irreversible. At one stage I taught OH&S at a music business course, and they got tested. Even loud iPod buds are affecting a generation.

You reckon I'm joking? Here is shredmeister and all round nice guy Paul Gilbert from not that long ago, who started wearing these on stage after he realised that years of 100 Watt Marshalls is causing him real hearing loss.

Do yourself a favour. As Vai says, protect your hearing more than your "bits". (Signed Uncle dMac)

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/56w08-505670559_554778fe71.jpg

More words of wisdom from dMac!

Many moons ago, I was an apprentice boilermaker. This was in the days before OH&S so my hearing was damaged by the hammering and grinding noise....

Now I am paying the price, sometimes I find it difficult to hear what people are sying to me, especially when they are turned away or there is background noise...

As for ear buds, they are the worst invention ever!
So often I can hear the noise coming out of random teenagers ear buds, even with my hearing loss.... I often think to myself how dumb are they, but being teenagers you can't tell them.... kind of reminds me of a younger me :?

BTW, it looks like some kind of funky string set up on the lower neck...

14-11-2012, 07:01 AM

Yep, three strings in an easy to use funky barre setup. Nice eye, Dingobass!

Benj
14-11-2012, 11:44 PM
I think I may be lucky in this regard. a) Im only 24 and have not really exposed my ears to too much. b) the lead singer of my band is a state rep for a large aural health company, so we've all got state of the art plugs that cancel out a certain range of noise. They are miles above foam plugs in terms of sound quality, it's amazing.

15-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Quote from dingobass

I should be more specific.;-) there are three strings, each an octave apart. You could imagine that would be a pretty funky thing!

15-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Quote from Benj on November 14, 2012, 08:44
I think I may be lucky in this regard. a) Im only 24 and have not really exposed my ears to too much. b) the lead singer of my band is a state rep for a large aural health company, so we've all got state of the art plugs that cancel out a certain range of noise. They are miles above foam plugs in terms of sound quality, it's amazing.

1. Come on, Benj! Don't tease us about good ear protection like that ! :D I for one would be happy to give them a go. There's a captive market here- lean on your vocalist for us! 8-)

2. Only 24? It sounds like you've taken sensible steps to protect your hearing, so well done! (I wish we had a thumbs-up icon here- I'd use it. Here, have a Steel Panther Shocker instead. \\n//).

But to anyone who thinks that their hearing is fine just because they're young, my students ranged from 16 to 22 and all has the ears of a 35 year old heavy industry worker (I was told by the person doing the research).

I won't tell you how I fared. I blame my ex wife's nagging for that.

dingobass
15-11-2012, 04:54 AM
Quote from dmac on November 14, 2012, 09:31

Quote from dingobass

I should be more specific.;-) there are three strings, each an octave apart. You could imagine that would be a pretty funky thing!

Very funky. I am alawys amazed as to how many different types of set ups are out there...
Oh, I went to the Buzz F page and copied your email, tried to send one to you but it kept getting bounced back?....

How is Junior going? Did you try the Titebond yet? and did you know that the good ole Tube Screamer has been re issued?

15-11-2012, 05:41 AM
Quote from dingobass on November 14, 2012, 13:54

Quote from dmac on November 14, 2012, 09:31

Quote from dingobass

Very funky. I am alawys amazed as to how many different types of set ups are out there...
Oh, I went to the Buzz F page and copied your email, tried to send one to you but it kept getting bounced back?....

How is Junior going? Did you try the Titebond yet? and did you know that the good ole Tube Screamer has been re issued?
I sent them an email for them to update my details... Hmmm. Try dmac@propadog.com

Working backwards:

I built my own TSs. Except they only had one buffer or true bypass, selectable tone caps, selectable clipping, some had 2+ stacked OpAmps, and some had a solo boost on them. So they're only sort of a TS. I can knock one up in any spec for whoever wants one, but I don't use them myself. I use a 12AT7- yes, a real tube- in my overdrives.

Note: True Bypass is not all it's cracked up to be. But that's another rant (refer Pete Cornish).

I'm picking up some Titebond soon, and I'm waiting for more finish for Junior. I've got a Kramer I have to do some work on, so Junior has slipped down the list..

keloooe
06-01-2013, 02:02 AM
Quote from dingobass on November 13, 2012, 15:38

Quote from dmac on November 13, 2012, 14:50

More words of wisdom from dMac!

Many moons ago, I was an apprentice boilermaker. This was in the days before OH&S so my hearing was damaged by the hammering and grinding noise....

Now I am paying the price, sometimes I find it difficult to hear what people are sying to me, especially when they are turned away or there is background noise...

As for ear buds, they are the worst invention ever!
So often I can hear the noise coming out of random teenagers ear buds, even with my hearing loss.... I often think to myself how dumb are they, but being teenagers you can't tell them.... kind of reminds me of a younger me :?

As a 14 y/o, I know what it is like at school with EVERYBODY having their music up loud... My music aint on the scale where everyone in the room can hear it, its only just loud enough so a small convo between 2 people can't be heard when you walk past them, but i can STILL hear everyone else's music being pumped at 100db (true fact!)

stan
13-08-2013, 02:01 AM
All good and important stuff.
Let's not forget with our desire to pump out the next axe that we use decent hearing protection when using power tools as well.
Hearing loss is cumulative, so it all adds up.
(don't forget safety glasses, I'm sure wudtone is awesome unless you get an eye splash...)

DrNomis_44
10-01-2015, 04:20 AM
As a person who suffers some hearing loss due to working in a workshop as an Apprentice Fitter and Machinist, and also a tropical ear infection in my right ear, definitely do whatever it takes to protect your hearing, as Stan said, hearing loss is cumulative, the worst thing about it is you'll be unaware that you're doing the damage as it's happening, I also suffer from Tinitus (a high-pitched ringing in the ears).

Scott J.
10-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Yep, I think anyone over their 30's who's been involved in rock 'n' roll (be it muso, crew or even audience) will be suffering some level of tinnitus ... I guess we're victims of our generation (i.e. before we became aware of the damage caused by excessive noise).

I remember after a Black Sabbath concert back in the '80's (in my "young and dumb" days! :D) not being able to hear properly for two days afterwards! ... and yep, combined with all the other concerts and gigs over the years, I'm now "hearing cicadas" 24 hours a day! :eek:

metalhead
10-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Agree with all the above. When I was a roadie I used to insist on ear plugs, particularly when doing scaff/stage building work. I had some laugh at me, but by the time I moved on to other things (nearly 10 years ago) it seemed to be becoming the norm, which is great. I don't wear hearing protection when playing as I've not used any that didn't negatively affect the sound/my enjoyment, but I try to keep the volume reasonable, and I always always use hearing and eye protection when using power tools. Why sacrifice your hearing to the sound of power tools? What a waste! Perhaps I should look into hearing protection while playing again. What do you guys use, and how good do you find it?

andrewdosborne
11-01-2015, 05:12 AM
Protect your hearing! I now have permanent tinnitus from loud guitar, gigs and concerts. No doubt picked up most damage in exceedingly loud metal gigs and one particular Who concert..

I now wear ear plugs and lower volumes where possible. Encouragingly a few years back I was not not the only one at a Slayer gigs wearing them which shows awareness of this issue is getting through. They even sold them in the foyer!

dave.king1
11-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Yep, I think anyone over their 30's who's been involved in rock 'n' roll (be it muso, crew or even audience) will be suffering some level of tinnitus
I'm now "hearing cicadas" 24 hours a day! :eek:

I'm with you on this Scott, my ears rang for days after seeing the Beatles at the old Sydney Stadium in 1964 and my hearing has been going backwards ever since.

Playing in loud rock & country rock bands from 64 - 82 certainly didn't help either, multiple stacks with 8x12" speakers make a huge sound and push massive amounts of air.

Cicadas 24/7 here too, gets worse when I'm tired