PDA

View Full Version : Let me Introduce myself

ncass81
11-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Hi there all, I figured that i should actually introduce myself to the people who have been a help to me through reading posts onthis forum.
My Name is Nick and i live in Echuca onthe Vic /Nsw border. Im a Chef and a Father of 2 young boys (5 and 3) who has decided that my guitar playing is not that good, so ill try to make them. Everyone needs options of what guitar they want to play.
The LP-1 that i have recently completed is what i hope the first of many styles and models that i would like to make.
I look forward to getting to know Everyone on The Pitbull Guitars Forum and the help I know I am going to need for my new found hobby.

Nick Cass :D

dingobass
11-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Hey Nick,
There is no greater joy as a player that maybe is not so good ( I am including myself in this catagory) than to build beautiful instruments for other people!

I had my start in the world of lutherie from a kit build, and now I am building Basses and Guitars for folk who really appreciate them!

I wish you all the best in your hobby and who knows, one day you may be able to pursue lutherie as a profession.

johnandles
14-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Hello,Just ordered an ST-1,love the look and sound. 8-)
Iam a retired mechanic,bad guitar player,electronics dabbler.... ;)
So hopefully with the help from the forum,the project will come to fruition.
Don't be surprised if I rewind/modify pups etc,its just me.
Great to be onboard, stay tuned..(no pun intended). :D
Cheers
John

adam
14-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote from johnandles on December 13, 2012, 17:47
Hello,Just ordered an ST-1,love the look and sound. 8-)
Iam a retired mechanic,bad guitar player,electronics dabbler.... ;)
So hopefully with the help from the forum,the project will come to fruition.
Don't be surprised if I rewind/modify pups etc,its just me.
Great to be onboard, stay tuned..(no pun intended). :D
Cheers
John

Welcome aboard, looking forward to your contribution to this growing community. If you're rewinding pick ups then I have a feeling you're going to fit right in ;)

MikeL
19-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Hi, my name is Mike, I'm 46 and live in Brisbane. I've been playing keyboard, by ear, since I was 4. My brother took to guitars when he was a kid but when I tried, they forced me to play right handed, so I gave up in disgust (I'm a lefty). It's now time for me to play catch up on the 35 years I've missed and since I'm a tinkerer, a Pitbull Guitar kit seems like the ultimate option...... So I'm currently awaiting the delivery of an SV-1 left handed.

It strikes me that there may be a lot of people that are either complete novices or entry level.. I've been doing a lot of research but an area with little info is what to plug the completed Pitbull Guitar into, so I'm going to put a post up asking for peoples input :)

dingobass
19-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote from MikeL on December 18, 2012, 17:21

Hey Mike, Welcome aboard!
You will find a very helpful community here on the Pit Bull forum so if you have any build questions please ask!

As for what amp to plug into, I am sure that dMac is your man :)

Have fun with your build and remember the golden rule, take it slow, enjoy the experience and you will end up with a killer Axe.

pablopepper
19-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Quote from MikeL on December 18, 2012, 17:21
Hi, my name is Mike, I'm 46 and live in Brisbane. I've been playing keyboard, by ear, since I was 4. My brother took to guitars when he was a kid but when I tried, they forced me to play right handed, so I gave up in disgust (I'm a lefty). It's now time for me to play catch up on the 35 years I've missed and since I'm a tinkerer, a Pitbull Guitar kit seems like the ultimate option...... So I'm currently awaiting the delivery of an SV-1 left handed.

It strikes me that there may be a lot of people that are either complete novices or entry level.. I've been doing a lot of research but an area with little info is what to plug the completed Pitbull Guitar into, so I'm going to put a post up asking for peoples input :)

It's good to see another Queenslander on here, I was starting to feel a bit lonely. ;)

Gavin1393
20-12-2012, 12:44 AM
You're no longer unique Pablopepper...
Welcome Mike!

I noticed I haven't introduced myself on the forum as yet. Some things slip by...
I am Gavin, I live in Perth. Played soccer and kept breaking my fingers (i was a goalkeeper before any asks how I managed to do this!). Played in a rock band in the early 90's producing two Cd's and two movie soundtracks then gave up and took up an office job where the pay was better! Hung onto an acoustic as well as my electric guitar throughout this time. After one too many operations to fix broken fingers I felt a new hobby was in order. In June 2011 I attended an acoustic guitar building course in QLD and I was hooked! Have subsequently moved workshop (wife thinks we moved house) from a 9 square meter shed to a 55 square meter workshop. I finally have the space to finish the stockpile of almost complete guitars. Was looking to get into electrics due to a few requests from friends to build them an electric after trying out one of my (not quite finished) acoustics. Have already met some great folk on this forum and been introduced to some excellent finishing product-goodness knows I needed to find something as the wife was getting threatening about all these guitars in the main bedroom....must have been why she agreed to move house provided the guitars stayed in the workshop! Win-Win situation!!

GlennGP
04-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi all, I'm Glenn from Bendigo, Central Victoria. I got into electric guitars in about 1993, having previously played brass instruments and teaching myself piano. I had to sell my guitar (a cheap Ibanez with three single pick-ups) to afford an overseas holiday ... but kept my acoustic, and mucked about with it while concentrating on piano. In about 2005 I started using the acoustic professionally, in seasonal dinner theatre work, and in 2008 my KRudd bonus bought a very nice semi-acoustic for that work, which I still play and love. I'm a big Queen fan and my ambition is to build a Red Special copy (Adam, are you listening?!)

I'm starting with a Tele, which I think should be pretty straightforward and give a lot of bang for buck. I have some gold spray paint left over from painting a gun for a fancy-dress party, so it'll be gold with the standard chrome fittings. I'll try to make it look pretty swish. I'm following up with two more Teles, just for experience - one for a gigging friend in Canberra, so I'm going to fit a few extras to that one, and it'll be themed to match her red Mini Cooper S, right down to shaping the head stock as a Mini silhouette (albeit upside down for the punters); and another for my brother, a sound engineer who works around Albury-Wodonga - we haven't worked out the details of that one yet, but he's a stickler for quality, so we'll probably end up tricking that one out a bit too. Once I have those under my belt I reckon I should be ready for something more complicated.

I'd really also love to add a bass to my instrument collection. Adam, any chance a P-bass kit is coming up?

I've never built a guitar before, but I've done a load of DIY, and the only skill required that I haven't used before appears to be soldering. I'm very much looking forward to the adventure.

adam
04-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Hey welcome aboard Glenn, sounds like you've got some grand plans. Looking forward to seeing your creations.

We have basses on order; including Jazz and PB styles, they're due mid February.

You're actually the second person to ask for a "Red Special" type kit. It can be specially ordered, with a wait time (production and shipping) of 8 - 12 weeks. Price would be around $200.

Great to have you on board, I'm sure you'll find the regulars a very helpful and friendly bunch.

GlennGP
04-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Quote from adam on January 3, 2013, 19:14
Hey welcome aboard Glenn, sounds like you've got some grand plans. Looking forward to seeing your creations.

We have basses on order; including Jazz and PB styles, they're due mid February.

You're actually the second person to ask for a "Red Special" type kit. It can be specially ordered, with a wait time (production and shipping) of 8 - 12 weeks. Price would be around $200.

Great to have you on board, I'm sure you'll find the regulars a very helpful and friendly bunch.

Awesome-sauce! Thrilled to hear a Red Special can be done! Also, finding the instructional videos very helpful - I'm someone who learns visually, so I'm very happy with the service so far! And I'm also not impatient and not afraid to ask for help so, if I get stuck, I'll be putting up my hand!

Cheers all!

Gavin1393
04-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Quote from GlennGP on January 3, 2013, 19:22

Quote from adam on January 3, 2013, 19:14

Awesome-sauce! Thrilled to hear a Red Special can be done! Also, finding the instructional videos very helpful - I'm someone who learns visually, so I'm very happy with the service so far! And I'm also not impatient and not afraid to ask for help so, if I get stuck, I'll be putting up my hand!

Cheers all!

Welcome Glenn!

The video bank is a great place to start. There are some good tips on soldering in the video's as well. Looking forward to seeing your creations as well.

dingobass
04-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Quote from GlennGP on January 3, 2013, 19:01

Hey Glenn, welcome to the family!
You will find your Pit Bull experience rewarding and you will learn heaps about how Guitars go together through the process.

I know that others on this forum will be getting tiered of hearing me say this but, take the build slow, the more time you put into the prep stage before painting, the better the result.

I recently moved to Perth from Canberra, my suggestion is add some anti freeze to the build for your friend! :P

Good luck with the build and don't hesitate to ask for help if you get stuck.

ncass81
07-01-2013, 10:49 AM
welcome Glenn, Its nice to see someone else from this side of the world on here, have fun with the builds

keloooe
07-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Quote from GlennGP on January 3, 2013, 19:01
Hi all, I'm Glenn from Bendigo, Central Victoria. I got into electric guitars in about 1993, having previously played brass instruments and teaching myself piano. I had to sell my guitar (a cheap Ibanez with three single pick-ups) to afford an overseas holiday ... but kept my acoustic, and mucked about with it while concentrating on piano. In about 2005 I started using the acoustic professionally, in seasonal dinner theatre work, and in 2008 my KRudd bonus bought a very nice semi-acoustic for that work, which I still play and love. I'm a big Queen fan and my ambition is to build a Red Special copy (Adam, are you listening?!)

I'm starting with a Tele, which I think should be pretty straightforward and give a lot of bang for buck. I have some gold spray paint left over from painting a gun for a fancy-dress party, so it'll be gold with the standard chrome fittings. I'll try to make it look pretty swish. I'm following up with two more Teles, just for experience - one for a gigging friend in Canberra, so I'm going to fit a few extras to that one, and it'll be themed to match her red Mini Cooper S, right down to shaping the head stock as a Mini silhouette (albeit upside down for the punters); and another for my brother, a sound engineer who works around Albury-Wodonga - we haven't worked out the details of that one yet, but he's a stickler for quality, so we'll probably end up tricking that one out a bit too. Once I have those under my belt I reckon I should be ready for something more complicated.

I'd really also love to add a bass to my instrument collection. Adam, any chance a P-bass kit is coming up?

I've never built a guitar before, but I've done a load of DIY, and the only skill required that I haven't used before appears to be soldering. I'm very much looking forward to the adventure.

Hey Glenn, I was in Bendigo for the New Year, as my relo's live in the country and I live in Melbourne

GlennGP
08-01-2013, 12:43 AM
I'm getting the "take it slow" message loud and clear, there won't be any rushing around here!

Also, kit just arrived (and I mean it literally was just delivered) - that's three business days tops, from order to delivery, across the continent. Well done, Adam!

keloooe
08-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Quote from GlennGP on January 7, 2013, 09:43
I'm getting the "take it slow" message loud and clear, there won't be any rushing around here!

Also, kit just arrived (and I mean it literally was just delivered) - that's three business days tops, from order to delivery, across the continent. Well done, Adam!

Yes, dingobass loves telling us to take it slow!

dingobass
08-01-2013, 02:31 AM
Quote from keloooe on January 7, 2013, 10:06

And will continue to do so....... 8-)

Gavin1393
08-01-2013, 03:10 AM
..because it's the RIGHT thing to do!

Gavin1393
08-01-2013, 03:10 AM

And will continue to do so.......

Quote from Gavin1393 on January 7, 2013, 12:10
..because it's the RIGHT thing to do!

adam
10-01-2013, 10:07 PM

That's great Glenn, thanks for the feedback. I have to say, I'm constantly impressed with the performance of Australia Post. Also, a big shout out to my business partner Phil Watson, who handles distribution. He gets most orders out the same day, or next day if the order comes in after midday.

keloooe
10-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Quote from adam on January 10, 2013, 07:07

That's great Glenn, thanks for the feedback. I have to say, I'm constantly impressed with the performance of Australia Post. Also, a big shout out to my business partner Phil Watson, who handles distribution. He gets most orders out the same day, or next day if the order comes in after midday.

Is it just me or is everyone on the team either an Adam or Phil????

adam
10-01-2013, 10:48 PM

Yep, one Adam and two Phils.

Reminds me of when I started in the Fire Service here in WA, everyone was either Bob or Bill.

dingobass
10-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Quote from keloooe on January 10, 2013, 07:40
[quote]Quote from adam on January 10, 2013, 07:07
[quote]Quote from GlennGP on January 7, 2013, 09:43

All the best people are called Phil..... ;)

keloooe
11-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Quote from dingobass on January 10, 2013, 08:03

Quote from keloooe on January 10, 2013, 07:40

Quote from adam on January 10, 2013, 07:07

All the best people are called Phil..... ;)

You mean the best people are called Callum??? It's okay, everyone has typo's!!!

John
22-01-2013, 04:27 AM
Hi everyone, and thanks to Adam.
My name is John and I live in Newcastle, NSW. Been playing guitar since 1981. I've had quite a few guitars since I started but now I think I've only got 8 or 9 now. I suffer from Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

This time I thought I would give a kit build a go. Not much of a woodworker, but I am fairly careful etc. :?

Anyway, hope to swap stories and experiences.

John

keloooe
22-01-2013, 04:38 AM
Quote from John on January 21, 2013, 13:27
My name is John and I live in Newcastle, NSW. Been playing guitar since 1981. I've had quite a few guitars since I started but now I think I've only got 8 or 9 now. I suffer from Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

This time I thought I would give a kit build a go. Not much of a woodworker, but I am fairly careful etc. :?

John

Hey John, welcome to our forums! The kits are of high quality (I'm getting one tomorrow!), and will look great if you choose to finish it on Wudtone (available Feb)! If you have ANY concerns/ questions, feel free to ask any of us, and we will all help.
One more thing... Take the build slow, and it will be a guitar that will last for a long time!!!

Gavin1393
22-01-2013, 05:14 AM
Hi John, Welcome to the Forum. We all get GAS at some point mate! That's why we are here!

Have a good look througgh the forum and especially at the Vid's as these will assist you along the way...

PS, my Woodwork teacher told me he'd leave the state if I ever became a surgeon!

dingobass
22-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Quote from John on January 21, 2013, 13:27

John

Welcome aboard John.

Enjoy the build and please do share pics of progress!

Which kit did you get?

You are going to use Wudtone, aren't you? :D
If you do decide to use Wudtone or would like to know more about it fire off an email to me at dingobass@pitbullguitars.com.

Hard sell over ;)

What ever finish you decide on, there is a wealth of experience here on the forum in all types of finishes and we are eager to give any help and advice you may need. Oh, and don't forget to share any tips or tricks that you may know.

Gavin1393
22-01-2013, 07:33 AM
DB, you need to change your moniker to "There is always a work around to solve paint problems, paint mistakes and other guitar painting gremlins....and that's WUDTONE! ;) PS - Your parts for your Pickup winder arrived today! :)

dingobass
22-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 21, 2013, 16:33
DB, you need to change your moniker to "There is always a work around to solve paint problems, paint mistakes and other guitar painting gremlins....and that's WUDTONE! ;) PS - Your parts for your Pickup winder arrived today! :)

Nice one Gavin 8-)

Yay! pup winder bitz!

keloooe
22-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Quote from dingobass on January 21, 2013, 17:57

Quote from Gavin1393 on January 21, 2013, 16:33

Nice one Gavin 8-)

Yay! pup winder bitz!

Gav, can u make me one after DB's???

Gavin1393
23-01-2013, 05:42 AM
Quote from keloooe on January 22, 2013, 06:42

Callum, there won't be much point because after building DB's one I will have achieved a level of perfection not worth repeating...

I don't know if I'll be building another in a hurry! I have guitars to build... I'm building DB's because he is building Adam's guitars and doesn't have time with Wudtone coming on-stream too.

Have a look at my thread below...I show step by step what you need to do as well as all the parts needed.

http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=63.0

If you still need one built, maybe I'll chat to Adam and we can put one up on the store? But honestly it is easy to build and would be well worth your while doing rather than paying someone to build one for you, especially since I can help you on the forum if you get stuck with the build!

keloooe
23-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 22, 2013, 14:42

Quote from keloooe on January 22, 2013, 06:42

Callum, there won't be much point because after building DB's one I will have achieved a level of perfection not worth repeating...

I don't know if I'll be building another in a hurry! I have guitars to build... I'm building DB's because he is building Adam's guitars and doesn't have time with Wudtone coming on-stream too.

Have a look at my thread below...I show step by step what you need to do as well as all the parts needed.

http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=63.0

If you still need one built, maybe I'll chat to Adam and we can put one up on the store? But honestly it is easy to build and would be well worth your while doing rather than paying someone to build one for you, especially since I can help you on the forum if you get stuck with the build!

Alright, it shall be a project that I will look at after I finish my kit (which I ordered today, so expect something from me Thursday or Friday!!!!)

Bass Guy
23-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Hi folks,

This is Eliot here- once gigging and now retired bassist around the Perth traps. VERY excited to see such a high quality kit range available in my own fair metropolis.

Needless to say I'd be very interested in any developments for Bass kits- and in the interim I will be trying to choose which guitar kit to go for first.... You can also register my interest in a Red Special kit as well.... Oh pretty please!!

Be seeing you,

El

stui
23-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Hi guys, Stu here. I won the last SG1 kit on ebay, and I'm really excited to receive it after reading all the feedback on these forums about the quality of these kits! This one is going to be a gift for my old man (rocker from way back) since the SG has always been his favorite guitar, yet he's never owned one (go figure).
Depending on how well this one turns out, this may well become a permanent hobby, especially if i enjoy the process as much as i think I'm going to!
Most likely you'll see me a fair bit on these forums, as this is my first build so I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions!

dingobass
23-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Quote from Bass Guy on January 22, 2013, 20:10
Hi folks,

This is Eliot here- once gigging and now retired bassist around the Perth traps. VERY excited to see such a high quality kit range available in my own fair metropolis.

Needless to say I'd be very interested in any developments for Bass kits- and in the interim I will be trying to choose which guitar kit to go for first.... You can also register my interest in a Red Special kit as well.... Oh pretty please!!

Be seeing you,

El

Hey Bass Guy,

Yay! Another Bassist! I was starting to feel a bit lonely here...

Welcome aboard and stay tuned, we have some very yummy Basses on the way.

dingobass
23-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Quote from stui on January 22, 2013, 20:25
Hi guys, Stu here. I won the last SG1 kit on ebay, and I'm really excited to receive it after reading all the feedback on these forums about the quality of these kits! This one is going to be a gift for my old man (rocker from way back) since the SG has always been his favorite guitar, yet he's never owned one (go figure).
Depending on how well this one turns out, this may well become a permanent hobby, especially if i enjoy the process as much as i think I'm going to!
Most likely you'll see me a fair bit on these forums, as this is my first build so I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions!

Hey Stui,

Welcome and congrats on winning the SG kit.

You will find all the support you could ever need here on the forum.

Take your time with the build and you will have an Axe that your Dad will love.

Check out the Wudtone finishes, there is a great selection of colours and I can also mix up custom colour as well.

GlennGP
23-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Quote from Bass Guy on January 22, 2013, 20:10
Hi folks,

Be seeing you,

El

Welcome aboard El - nice to see another Red Special officionado here! I reckon I'll be ready to tackle one around October-ish. The electronics seem to be a bit more complex than average, with two switches for each pick-up but only master volume and tone controls.

Cheers,

GGP

keloooe
23-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Quote from stui on January 22, 2013, 20:25

Hey Stui, good to see another first timer!!! I bought my first kit last night, so I'm excited as well, especially if you look at my Wudtone topic!!!

adam
23-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Basses (7 models) due in about 3 weeks.

Gavin1393
23-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Quote from adam on January 23, 2013, 05:52

Come on Adam, spill!

You can't put "7 models" in brackets and say nothing more than that!

Maybe you can, but the suspense is killing a few of us already- how will we make it through the three weeks! :)

adam
23-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 23, 2013, 06:00

Come on Adam, spill!

Maybe you can, but the suspense is killing a few of us already- how will we make it through the three weeks! :)

There's a Jazz Bass, a PB and a PB with Humbucker, a Hofner Bass, a Hofner Bass w/Spalted top, and an Ibanez Style 4 string and 5 string.

Gavin1393
23-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Quote from adam on January 23, 2013, 06:10

Quote from Gavin1393 on January 23, 2013, 06:00

Come on Adam, spill!

There's a Jazz Bass, a PB and a PB with Humbucker, a Hofner Bass, a Hofner Bass w/Spalted top, and an Ibanez Style 4 string and 5 string.

....and the rumours start already!

Heard someone has already sent out his suspicious friends from Mali to try and intercept a particular Beatles Bass with a particular Spalted top...i'm saying nothing more than that for fear of incriminating myself and DingoB.....i think I've said too much already!!! :)

GlennGP
23-01-2013, 10:10 PM

That's great news, Adam - project #5 will be a bass, now I just have to decide whether I want to tap my inner McCartney ...

Glenn GP

Gavin1393
24-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Pirate boat sails at 5pm from Fremantle today Glenn.....

GlennGP
24-01-2013, 03:46 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 23, 2013, 09:21
Pirate boat sails at 5pm from Fremantle today Glenn.....

"Band on the run ..." 8-)

pablopepper
24-01-2013, 04:34 AM
Ooh, P bass with humbucker! I like the sound of that. :D

dingobass
24-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Quote from GlennGP on January 23, 2013, 07:10

That's great news, Adam - project #5 will be a bass, now I just have to decide whether I want to tap my inner McCartney ...

Glenn GP

Hands off Guys, the Beatle Basses are all MINE! Bwahahahaha.....

keloooe
25-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Quote from dingobass on January 23, 2013, 16:25

Quote from GlennGP on January 23, 2013, 07:10

Glenn GP

Hands off Guys, the Beatle Basses are all MINE! Bwahahahaha.....

You take the Beatle basses, I take the Dark Onyx and Goldenrod! Seems like a fair deal to me!