PDA

View Full Version : I HATE this!!! (Paint in pockets)

10-10-2012, 03:37 AM
A mate brought around a body (made and painted by another brand whom I shall call Eden) and neck with the objective of making a birthday guitar for son #2. Had he asked, I would have said Pit Bull, more fool him.

These photos were taken with a phone, so they're not the best, but anyway...

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/p4xz7-before.jpg

Look at this neck pocket! Look at all that thick goop in there! There is so much crap in there that there is no way a neck will sit squarely. Plus, I am a great believer in naked wood meets naked wood wherever possible for good resonance, but that's another story.

I have always worked on the basis that the real purpose of finishing your guitar is to protect it. Sure, make it pretty, but an overall finish that looks like it could be measured in millimetres could choke your guitar's tone.

End of rant.

A while later, it looked like this.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/z3z17-after.jpg

Just look at the difference, and ask yourself which one you prefer to work and play with.

So when you go to paint your Pit Bull, mask off your neck pocket at least. You'll be glad you did.

adam
10-10-2012, 07:43 AM
I think I may need to redo our Painting videos. I managed to get paint in every nook and cranny.

But seriously, I do want to redo the painting videos. If you and Dingobass felt up to putting together some sort of script for an "idiots guide to painting a guitar kit", I could certainly look at reimbursing you both.

I'll shoot the video, but if you guys were able to put together some "do's and dont's", which I can put into the video, I think that would be a good way to go.

I'm thinking an entry level, auto acrylic spray (colour) plus clear top coat, with cutting and polishing type of job.

What do you think?

dingobass
10-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Ha ha ha! Nice rant Dmac :D I too hate paint in places it shouldn't be.
Great job of getting it out of the neck pocket witout damaging the edges, a really pro job!
Adam, I don't do paint jobs on my Bass builds as a rule, I usually French Polish or wax because I nearly always use a figured top wood. I am shooting a video on French Polish finishes 101 for you, but I reckon that when it comes to paint finishes Dmac would have a better idea on how to do them than I would...

See you at the Exhumed finals next week.

Dingobass.