PDA

View Full Version : Album of the year.

pablopepper
08-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Okay, I'm just gonna throw this out there.

Baroness's most recent record 'Yellow & Green' is getting my vote for album of the year.

A distinct departure from their earlier, heavier albums, Yellow & Green sits comfortably in the prog rock category. Closer to Yes and Pink Floyd than more modern prog bands. This is a double album (when was the last time you got one of them?) that flows from start to finish in a way most artists these days have forgotten. The art of making an album rather than an arbitrary collection of their most recent songs.

I've had this record since shortly after it was first released in May, and it is, what I like to call, a grower. Listen to it once; it's okay, but it's not like their old stuff :(. Listen to it 15 times and, wow, it's true genius starts to show.

I'll leave a link to one of my favourite tracks, but, I'm interested to hear from everyone else....

What is your 'Album of the Year'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PBBfk1xd9U&feature=related

MitchellJBurgess
14-10-2012, 11:11 AM
My album of the year has to be Periphery's new cd, This Time It's Personal, absolutely phenomenal progressive metal band. I've been a massive fan of them for a long time now, the three guitarists are so incredibly talented and unique, the drummer has such amazing skill, the way he can play polyrhythms and all other tricky things is amazing, the bassist never lacks groove when it's necessary and it's not consistant root note stuff either!
And the singer, damn, that singer, his voice is so powerful, yet so angelic when he wants it to be, yet so aggressive when he wants it to be. He definitely has lead singer syndrome but with such skill it's hard to care!