PDA

View Full Version : Steve Vai- from Aug 12

08-10-2012, 12:05 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxhgWqS2eU

Steve Vai running through some of the guitars in his studio (including a new seafoam green Ibanez coming out), his amps, fx, strings, picks and being a little bit of a dick :| as he is known to do.

Done only about 2 months ago so it's pretty up to date.

Well worth a look to get ideas for your own project- and not just an SV kit either.

I found it interesting that of the 263 (counted) guitars he owns, his favorite guitar is the one where the natural resonances of the neck and body match. I understand what and why, but if Vai with the resources of Ibanez struggles, what hope have we got??? :?

MitchellJBurgess
14-10-2012, 11:07 AM
I thought he was pretty funny!
Especially at the reference to masterbation. =P

Well, it's just luck really I suppose, you could check out some custom build sites such as Mayones, Etherial, ETguitars etc. They're all great with wood quality choosing.
But I suppose him getting that sound is just complete luck and allot of power!

16-10-2012, 04:46 AM
Quote from MitchellJBurgess on October 13, 2012, 20:07
I thought he was pretty funny!
Especially at the reference to masterbation. =P

Well, it's just luck really I suppose, you could check out some custom build sites such as Mayones, Etherial, ETguitars etc. They're all great with wood quality choosing.
But I suppose him getting that sound is just complete luck and allot of power!

Vai's been known as a bit of a twat for years- Satriani has a better reputation as a person. The Nicest Guy of those .01% of the top I've met by a long way is Paul Gilbert. A really nice guy.

I auditioned for the band for "We Will Rock You", and met Roger Taylor and Brian May. Roger was a nice guy. Brian... I dunno if he was having a bad day or what, but he was Brian May, and we weren't. I did get to play a Greg Fryer child of the Red Special which was a highlight. I suppose it take all types.

And yes, I am old. In fact, I'm 51 today! That makes it... 41 years since I got my first guitar... And my next guitar (LP Jnr DC mahogany/mahogany) is only a few weeks off its debut! :P

MitchellJBurgess
21-10-2012, 03:26 AM
Quote from dmac on October 15, 2012, 13:46

Vai's been known as a bit of a twat for years- Satriani has a better reputation as a person. The Nicest Guy of those .01% of the top I've met by a long way is Paul Gilbert. A really nice guy.

I auditioned for the band for "We Will Rock You", and met Roger Taylor and Brian May. Roger was a nice guy. Brian... I dunno if he was having a bad day or what, but he was Brian May, and we weren't. I did get to play a Greg Fryer child of the Red Special which was a highlight. I suppose it take all types.

And yes, I am old. In fact, I'm 51 today! That makes it... 41 years since I got my first guitar... And my next guitar (LP Jnr DC mahogany/mahogany) is only a few weeks off its debut! :P

I think it'd be pretty hard not to be quite egotistical with his great acomplishments in life, he's an incredible musician though, especially with Whispering A Prayer!
I haven't heard much of Satriana honestly, I think it's the experimentation in Steve I really like!

Lucky man!
I wish to take part in things like that!

Happy birthday for today! (today by when you sent that message obviously isn't today's today, but late happy birthday!)
51 isn't that old!
With a healthy lifestyle you're mearly only half way! =)

21-10-2012, 04:15 AM
Quote from MitchellJBurgess on October 20, 2012, 12:26

I think it'd be pretty hard not to be quite egotistical with his great acomplishments in life

It's actually pretty easy to not get carried away with your own publicity. Some choose not to- Malmsteen is another with a bad rep.

Quote from MitchellJBurgess on October 20, 2012, 12:26
I haven't heard much of Satriana honestly, I think it's the experimentation in Steve I really like!

Google "Satriani taught Vai", then listen to a couple of tracks from "Surfing with The Alien".

Why not look at others too besides Vai? For starters, and for shredders- Gilbert, Satriani, Malmsteen, Bettencourt...

I'll leave it with you to explore. Enjoy- that's the fun of it!!

dingobass
21-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Hey dMac,

Happy belated Birthday! Here is to many more.
And no, 51 aint old, I am 46 and still feel like 26. :D

Dingobass