PDA

View Full Version : Steel Panther-> maple fretboards

07-10-2012, 02:49 PM
What more can I say, except Steel Panther are totally bitchin'!!! If you have the chance to steal a ticket, do it.

What occurred to me was I was watching Satchel was that there seems to be an option missing from the ST kit. I like maple fretboards, and so do some people like EVH and David Gilmour and Eric Johnson and Eric Clapton.

Adam, can you feel people leaning on you? ;-)

adam
07-10-2012, 10:22 PM
I hear ya dmac!

I was hoping the necks would be interchangeable, between the ST and TL, but no. They're actually quite different joins and they're matched at the factory to the specific body.

We will end up with a few options on the ST and TL models. All good things take time.

dingobass
04-11-2012, 11:39 PM
After building the Axe of Destiny, I can see why dMac likes Maple fingerboards...
Even though I am a Bass player who loves Ebony fingerboards, I can appreciate the warmth of a Maple board.
It does feel different to Rosewood and Ebony.
It feels warmer and a lot faster to the touch....
Mabey that is why Clapton and co prefer Maple?

Gavin1393
05-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Quote from dingobass on November 4, 2012, 08:39
After building the Axe of Destiny, I can see why dMac likes Maple fingerboards...
Even though I am a Bass player who loves Ebony fingerboards, I can appreciate the warmth of a Maple board.

I like a "fender" type maple fingerboard on my electrics. But these are all pretty much personal preferences. You will find many arguing about warmth, brightness, sustain, feel and playablility virtues or lack thereof in ebony, rosewood and maple. I guess not too many are keen to use maple since to protect the board from wear and warping it does need to be finished. And again we all know that every piece of wood has its own characteristics and applying a finish can alter these.
In general the research suggests that maples are considered brighter and offer excellent feel and playability.
Rosewoods feel is softer due to the porus nature of the wood but offer decent sustain and warmth.
Ebony is generally considered to provide the best of both with emphasis on warmth and a longer sustain.

05-11-2012, 01:59 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on November 4, 2012, 09:31

Quote from dingobass on November 4, 2012, 08:39

I like a "fender" type maple fingerboard on my electrics. But these are all pretty much personal preferences. You will find many arguing about warmth, brightness, sustain, feel and playablility virtues or lack thereof in ebony, rosewood and maple. I guess not too many are keen to use maple since to protect the board from wear and warping it does need to be finished. And again we all know that every piece of wood has its own characteristics and applying a finish can alter these.
In general the research suggests that maples are considered brighter and offer excellent feel and playability.
Rosewoods feel is softer due to the porus nature of the wood but offer decent sustain and warmth.
Ebony is generally considered to provide the best of both with emphasis on warmth and a longer sustain.
Remembering we are talking about Pit Bull kits, not Fender Custom Shop guitars:

After 40 years research, sorry, playing, I want a maple neck on any ST kit I buy for personal use. That's a maple cap on maple, not solid maple. As a customer, if I can't get it here, then I go elsewhere.

It's not hard for maple-fretboard ST kits to be made available- other kits have maple boards. I'm not asking that Pit Bull drop the rosewood ST and only carry maple ST, but maybe Adam could reduce the order for rosewood and fill it up with maple caps. So, there ends up being two kits- it's not like they won't sell.

Ultimately it's up to Adam to decide if he wants to include it in the catalog. I'm just putting it out there based on what I and people I know want.

I don't think ebony is option on a Pit Bull guitar.