PDA

View Full Version : New build question

Benj
12-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Hey all,
I'm picking up my ST-1 kit tomorrow to start on my project, which I will be documenting on here in depth and hopefully get on the prestigious 'Customer of the Month' wall of fame!

I'm fine with priming/painting/clearing the body and headstock, but I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on finishing the neck off?

Has anyone got any techniques to make it nice and smooth and 'non-sticky' for lack of a better word?

Thanks,

Benj

adam
13-09-2012, 05:16 AM
Hi Benj, can't wait to see how your guitar turns out.

Our site is only a couple of weeks old, so we haven't got a lot of members in our Forum to advise you on neck finishes. All I would offer is that Google is your friend.

Also, personally, I like an unfinished neck. I'd be looking at some quality wood oils, rather than any paint or lacquer finishes.

My '78 Tele had a lacquered neck at some stage. But now that has all come away the neck is bare wood, and super quick.

It also depends what you're used to.

You should experminent and see what works (and then share here)

Cheers,

Adam

Benj
13-09-2012, 06:20 AM
Adam, cheers mate, yeah I figured there aren't many yet, but need to encourage more. Picked up my ST-1 kit today and I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of the kit. The parts look better finished than most strat knock offs that Ive seen and thats fresh out the box. I am thinking some wood oil but wont i need some sort of sealer?

adam
13-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Yeah, they're pretty amazing for the price aren't they. I don;t know how they can produce them so cheaply at that quality.

I'm not too sure about sealers and stuff like that, so I've asked Phil, our resident Cabinet Maker, for his input.

dingobass
21-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Hi Benj,
All I do to finish the necks on my Bass builds, ( and my ST1) is sanding down to 1500 grit wet and dry followed by a light coat of good quality bees wax furniture polish to seal the surface. This should give you a super fast neck. Happy building Mate!
Phil.

24-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Quote from Benj on September 11, 2012, 15:19
Has anyone got any techniques to make it nice and smooth and 'non-sticky' for lack of a better word?

Hey Benj-

Rule 1: Gloss finish sticky and bad.

I don't bother finishing my bolt on necks but that does require a little bit of care as they potentially could warp easier. However, I've not had any problems personally. And it doesn't take long for "skin oil de dMac" to get into the neck, seal it and slippery it up.

On set necks, I finish them off with a satin clear. Sometimes I'll give them a rub with the finest steel wool to finish them off nicely.

The dim dark recesses of my mind seem to hold a bit of relevant trivia- no less a guitar than the EVH Frankenstrat had at least several of its numerous necks unfinished. I could be wrong on that one.

adam
24-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Dmac I just saw your signature and had a laugh... I'm sure I had a Tube Screamer in the 70's. Probably just gave it away too.

dingobass
24-09-2012, 10:56 AM
I agree with Dmac. Gloss is bad... My Thunderbird had about 5mm of polyeurethane on it and it was like it was coated with honey. Sanded that off real quick and now it is lightening fast!

25-09-2012, 04:19 AM
Quote from dmac on September 23, 2012, 17:29
The dim dark recesses of my mind seem to hold a bit of relevant trivia- no less a guitar than the EVH Frankenstrat had at least several of its numerous necks unfinished. I could be wrong on that one.

I was bored today, so I did some searching. I found several references to Mr EVH's necks being unfinished. Not only unfinished, but if he was going to use a finished neck, he took the finish off first.

I guess that makes it a great big Mythbusters "Plausible".

Benj
25-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the info dMac, so did he just sand them down and thats it?

25-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Quote from Benj on September 24, 2012, 14:51
Thanks for the info dMac, so did he just sand them down and thats it?

I think only Eddie would know that one. ;-D

My own experience shows if you give it a light tub with fine sandpaper to get rid of obvious roughness, it doesn't take long to polish it with your own sweat and oil. Obviously that depends on how often you play.

(Fine sandpaper to me is above 600 grit.)

adam
25-09-2012, 09:03 AM
My advice Benj, try just sanding the neck with 600-800 grit, then maybe 1200 grit, until it's mirror smooth. Then play it... often. See how it goes. If it's not working for you, remove your own oil and grease and then try some different finishes (wax, satin finish, etc). See what does work.

Don't forget to report back with your findings.

26-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Operator error. Sorry! :?