PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Diagrams

adam
13-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Wiring Diagrams are available as PDF downloads in the video section. Just click on the video you need in the "Wiring" section and you'll see a link to the Wiring Diagram.

24-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Quote from adam on August 12, 2012, 11:02
Wiring Diagrams are available as PDF downloads in the video section. Just click on the video you need in the "Wiring" section and you'll see a link to the Wiring Diagram.

Seymour Duncan (http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/) has a great library too, including things like 4-way Tele switching, the Page LP setup etc.

adam
25-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks, I actually used their site for developing our Pit Bull Guitars wiring diagrams. I didn't think it was right to just link to their site as some of our wiring is a bit different.

Great resource though.

yakkmeister
29-01-2013, 02:19 AM
Hey guys

I have found that a number of SD diagrams are flat out wrong.
DiMarzio tend to be much better quality in terms of being useful circuits but they still have some issues (like coils hanging from hot).
Just an FYI there.

bergstrom.mike
25-07-2013, 11:28 AM
well I know I will be asking this very soon, so I guess I can get ahead of myself.

Got a wiring diagram for the HB-4?

dingobass
25-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Hey Mike, I will email one to you.

adam
04-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Here are some interesting mods for the more popular setups:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19387-the-fabulous-four-mods-for-your-strat-tele-les-paul-and-super-strat

joshj
08-08-2013, 03:12 AM
I am a little bit confused with JM -1 wiring. there seems to be no active from the pickups/switch to the volume and tone controls and just an earth/ground from the lower tone to connect but how is the guitar suppose to get active? and where the hell am I soldering the ground to?

Gavin1393
08-08-2013, 03:41 AM
Hi Joshj

This is the F-type Jaguar that comes with a pre-wired control set? Hence, there should be a spare volume control lug on each of the Volume Pots to attach the Yellow and the Red 'hot' wires from the Pickups. You will need to solder the 'ground' wires from the Pickups to the back of the volume control case. Make sure that you have a ground wire running from the bridge to the volume Pot or else you will get hum every time you touch the strings.

I don't have the wiring diagram that you are speaking of in front of me, but the volume pots should both have a separate wire running to the selector switch. There should be a spare lug here which you will use to run the resultant selection to the 'hot' tip of the output jack. Finally run a ground wire from the ground of the output jack to the back of the volume control case. If you have not used copper shielding you then need to make sure that each case is grounded by running a ground wire from each case. If you have shielded the pickup cavities etc, then this step isn't necessary as everything that needs to be grounded (in terms of the Pot controls)will be.

wokkaboy
08-08-2013, 03:43 AM
Hey Josh,
I've never built a JM kit but looking at the photo on the PBG site it looks like the pickups should be pre-wired.
Looks like its a similar strat style tremelo so you normally earth to the bracket that holds the tremelo springs to the body, solder to his plate/bracket

Dingobass has built a JM-1 so he can confirm when he reads this.

can you please post a photo of the back of the control plate and scratchplate Josh may shed some light.

Gav is on the right track I'd say you have to run the hot wire and earth to the input jack

Have you had a look online for JM wiring diagrams ?

joshj
08-08-2013, 05:14 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on August 7, 2013, 12:43
Hey Josh,
I've never built a JM kit but looking at the photo on the PBG site it looks like the pickups should be pre-wired.
Looks like its a similar strat style tremelo so you normally earth to the bracket that holds the tremelo springs to the body, solder to his plate/bracket

Dingobass has built a JM-1 so he can confirm when he reads this.

can you please post a photo of the back of the control plate and scratchplate Josh may shed some light.

Gav is on the right track I'd say you have to run the hot wire and earth to the input jack

Have you had a look online for JM wiring diagrams ?

the black wire going up is the only loose wire there and I did not receive any extra wiring in the kit
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/1spkd-jm.jpg

joshj
08-08-2013, 05:45 AM
my question is how the hell does the positive travel from the input jack to the selector and pickups, every other guitar I have built the pickups need positive and negative to function but this seems as though only a earth goes from input and controls up to the selector and pickups

Gavin1393
08-08-2013, 05:47 AM
The black wire seems to me to be the ground wire for the bridge.

You will need to run a ground wire from the switch (centre lugs on the switch) where the ground from the Pickups is attached. Any one of the spare/unused lugs on the switch AFTER the centre lugs should operate as an output and this needs to be wired to the centre lug of the volume Pot (that's the pot with NO capacitor). You should be good to go thereafter.

joshj
08-08-2013, 05:53 AM
the centre lug already has a wire connected to the input jack on the volume pot, hence my confusion the loose earth wire is connected to the top of the bottom tone pot and there is no active connected from the pre loaded scratchplate to the control pots what so ever

joshj
08-08-2013, 06:04 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from joshj on August 7, 2013, 14:53
the centre lug already has a wire connected to the input jack on the volume pot, hence my confusion the loose earth wire is connected to the top of the bottom tone pot and there is no active connected from the pre loaded scratchplate to the control pots what so ever

this is the input and control pot I have notice the only wire loose is the ground wire at the lower tone pot and there are no active wires from the switch to the pots that I can solder to complete the circut
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/w4h4g-Picture-2.jpg

Gavin1393
08-08-2013, 06:18 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from joshj on August 7, 2013, 14:53

I know. The hot wire from the switch should either be soldered to the middle lug of the volume pot or to the lug on the left of it. Either way it should produce sound.

Re-read my post, follow it or ask if there is a confusion and it will work.

wokkaboy
08-08-2013, 06:22 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from joshj on August 7, 2013, 14:53

Hi Josh,
try the attached wiring diagram, its a strat diagram with the same configuration as yours, 1 humbucker, 2 singles, 1 volume, 2 tones and 5 way switch

Looks like you have to run a hot and earth from the volume pot to the switch, then obviously the long black loose wire is the earth to the tremelo spring plate.

see how that goes, you will need 2 wires to complete the 2 connections switch to volume pot.
The rest of the wiring looks complete in the photo

let us know how you go !
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/32455-STRAT-1h_2s_1v_2t_5w_as.jpg

Gavin1393
08-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Here's one with the same switch you have.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/836n5-StratImport2.jpg

dingobass
08-08-2013, 09:03 AM
And I shall send you some wire tomorrow to complete the setup!

joshj
08-08-2013, 09:52 AM
thankyou for the help :) the last question I have is that would this mean that the tone pots are not in need of an active wire?

Gavin1393
08-08-2013, 01:32 PM
No, the tone pots are merely there to filter out certain frequencies from the volume pots.....the volume pots have the active or Hot wire.

Gavin1393
09-08-2013, 12:00 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from joshj on August 7, 2013, 14:45
my question is how the hell does the positive travel from the input jack to the selector and pickups, every other guitar I have built the pickups need positive and negative to function but this seems as though only a earth goes from input and controls up to the selector and pickups

Are you sorted now? What other guitars have you built? Might be worth taking a look inside these if you are still stuck?

joshj
09-08-2013, 09:46 AM
I have only built Gibson style and one rebuild of a esp KH 202 that I bought was a friends who wanted the Ouija board on it, this is my 6th guitar kit build though but my first fender style, hence why the confusion and I was right in my thoughts that the wiring had not been complete and something was missing

tincataylor
22-08-2013, 04:53 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from adam on September 24, 2012, 17:10
Thanks, I actually used their site for developing our Pit Bull Guitars wiring diagrams. I didn't think it was right to just link to their site as some of our wiring is a bit different.

Great resource though.
hi adam,am after the wiring diagram for the PBH-4 Electric Bass Guitar Kit

wokkaboy
22-08-2013, 05:12 AM
[/quote]
hi adam,am after the wiring diagram for the PBH-4 Electric Bass Guitar Kit[/quote]

Hi Tincataylor,
I recently built a PBH-4 and the attached wiring diagram worked for me
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2ic4p-PBH-wiring.jpg

tincataylor
23-08-2013, 04:31 AM
hi permalink,thanks for that info on the PBH-4,very helpfull,some of my wires are a different colour behind my scratchplate on the pots but the diagram speaks for itself,great stuff,i can now build ,prolly monday after my finishing on neck and body are complete

wokkaboy
23-08-2013, 06:03 AM
haha no worries Tincataylor, my name is Wokka, the permalink link displays under everyones username
Good luck with the wiring, I found it quite straight forward.

tincataylor
23-08-2013, 08:06 AM
lol no worries wokka

Brendan
25-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Tincataylor - what colours were your wires out of the humbucker? Have you got any photos? Thanks.

Jimbob_Stone
06-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Good evening,

I can't seem to locate the HB-4 Wiring Diagram or a Video on its overall setup, is it on the site anywhere?

Regards
James

stan
06-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Hofner bass wiring:

http://deaf-eddie.net/guitars/vb-100.jpg

http://www.buzzardsbass.com/bass-guitars/brice/hvb600wire.jpg

joshj
06-09-2013, 09:51 AM
anyone experience wiring a GD-1 kit? I must seem like an idiot but I am unsure of the wiring set up as there is apparently no tone control (due to lack of capacitor in the kit) or selector switch. If there has been a mistake AGAIN with what is supplied and I need to purchase a capacitor so be it but before I do anything I wanted to ask.

oh and anyone who built their Gibson style kit without grounding to the bridge and have that annoying buzzing sound, it is worth doing!!! My first kit I built a long time ago didn't have the hole for the bridge earth wire and instructional videos said nothing of this step, so I put it down to cheap parts however the buzzing vanished once I added this little wire in when I re built it so it is worth doing and checking out the video guide if your unsure!

wokkaboy
06-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Josh,
I haven't seen anyone build a GD-1 guitar, looking at the website it says 1 volume and 1 tone, are you sure there is no capacitor ? It doesn't appear to have a selector switch so the only way to control volume on each of the 2 humbuckers is to wire each humbucker to each of the 2 volume pots. All I can suggest is look at this wiring diagram, 1 humbucker, 1 volume and piggy up the wires that go to the input jack to each volume pot as shown should work. Make sure you ground any part of the bridge mechanism to the back of one of the volume pots - good luck !
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1hum_1vol

WeirdBits
06-09-2013, 11:09 AM
If you're going to wire it as two volumes with no switch, then you'll need to use a Jazz Bass style wiring so that you can control the volume of each pickup separately without one affecting the other. This requires the pickup 'hot' to go to the 'sweep' middle lug of the pot and the output on the outer lug (otherwise turning one volume all the way down will also mute the other pickup).

If you use this Jazz Bass diagram (http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_jazz_bass), treat your humbuckers as Jazz pickups, and run the output from the pots to the jack omitting the tone control, you will be able to control the volume of each pickup (0-max) separately.

joshj
06-09-2013, 12:24 PM
hi yes I'm sure there is no capacitor, I always get everything out to make sure it is all there hence my enquiry on here, I will buy a capacitor if it is needed as I said that's of no concern I just wasn't sure how this kit was meant to be wired compared with other guitars I've made

wokkaboy
06-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Yes you are correct Scott. Josh use the jazz bass diagram so volume control is separate

wokkaboy
06-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Josh hope your finishing the axe in black?

Jimbob_Stone
06-09-2013, 06:25 PM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from stan on September 5, 2013, 18:26
Hofner bass wiring:

http://deaf-eddie.net/guitars/vb-100.jpg

http://www.buzzardsbass.com/bass-guitars/brice/hvb600wire.jpg

Thanks for the diagram, however as all the oomponents are covered by a wafer circuit board my only options are 2 squares on IN1 and 3 on IN2 or vice versa, assuming the neck pickup goes to vol2 (IN2) and the bridge pick up goes to Vol1 (IN1) is the 3rd square on Vol2 (IN2) earth if so does it go to the input jack.

Also is this what the spare Orange wire is for.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/7k2vk-DSC_0218.jpg

joshj
06-09-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm doing this in black yea but not a complete solid black it will be a translucent

keloooe
07-09-2013, 12:55 AM
About the GD-1, I know someone who owns a legit Epi Graveyard Disciple, and there is a master volume and master tone, but on the side near your chest there is a selector switch.... Adam, can you fix this???

joshj
07-09-2013, 02:29 AM
I had noticed this also, I have a spare three way but am unsure on if i can actually make a cavity for it

keloooe
07-09-2013, 02:32 AM
you can drill a hole if you have the correctly sized bit

joshj
07-09-2013, 02:34 AM
Yea I would need to buy one the right diameter

keloooe
07-09-2013, 02:49 AM
i think the kit switches are 9mm... You will need to do more work though to get a cavity made to fit the large switch... a Switchcraft switch is better, as they are thinner...

joshj
07-09-2013, 03:47 AM
Hmmm other option is put a third hole in the control cavity

WeirdBits
07-09-2013, 05:50 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from joshj on September 6, 2013, 12:47

Either put another hole in the control cavity for the switch, or you could:
a) use a concentric pot as your combined volume & tone and use the other hole for a 3-way switch.
b) use push/pull pots for both your volume and tone so you can switch each pickup on or off.
c) rout out a small cavity for a side mounted switch and use a LP style jack plate to mount it (although, this will also require a path drilled for the wiring to the cavity, which could be difficult).

WeirdBits
07-09-2013, 05:56 AM
Quote from Jimbob_Stone on September 6, 2013, 03:25
Thanks for the diagram, however as all the oomponents are covered by a wafer circuit board my only options are 2 squares on IN1 and 3 on IN2 or vice versa, assuming the neck pickup goes to vol2 (IN2) and the bridge pick up goes to Vol1 (IN1) is the 3rd square on Vol2 (IN2) earth if so does it go to the input jack.

Also is this what the spare Orange wire is for.

Jimbob,

I don't have one of these kits, but going by the circuit diagram it should be as follows:
1) Bridge pickup 'hot'.
2) Bridge pickup 'ground'.
3) Neck pickup 'ground'.
4) Neck pickup 'hot'.
5) Bridge/Tailpiece ground wire (orange?).

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/mv44m-PBG-BeatleBass-Hofner-circuit-back_v2.jpg

And the shielded cable is your hot and ground to the output jack.

It looks like there's a few variations of the basic circuit (cap placement, rhythm/solo vs tone switch etc), but I think the above is correct. Hope that helps.

Jimbob_Stone
07-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks Scott,

I had solder the first 4 points already in nearly the same order you suggested as guess (I have 3 and 4 swapped around, by Tailpiece do you mean somewhere on the input jack I think I had to do this on the Rickenbacher I put together back in April?

One of the switch permutations does result in a feedback hum which I think will go away once I use the orange wire.

Thanks again

WeirdBits
08-09-2013, 03:57 AM
If you have connections 3 & 4 reversed then you should change them to match what I posted, otherwise the neck pickup will be out of phase in relation to the bridge pickup.

The Bridge/Tailpiece ground wire I mentioned does not relate to the output jack (not directly, anyway).
This is important: electric guitars and basses should have a ground connection to the bridge or tailpiece which then, through metal to metal contact, makes a ground connection for the strings. This does two things, 1) It helps to reduce hum. 2) In the event of a catastrophic short-circuit somewhere it should help to prevent the player from getting electrocuted (if connected correctly). It's unlikely that would ever happen, but it could, so you need the ground wire just to be safe. End of warning.

In most guitars and basses a ground wire is connected to the bridge (or a bridge post), but as the Beatle Basses have a floating bridge the ground wire would normally be connected to the tailpiece. This typically means that there is a hole drilled under where the tailpiece plate mounts to the edge of the body so that the ground wire makes contact with the plate, thus grounding the tailpiece and hence the strings. However, like I said in my other post, I don't have a HB style kit so I'm not sure if they have a hole drilled for the tailpiece ground wire or not.

If there is no hole pre-drilled for the ground wire at the tail on these kits you may need to consult the oracle, DB, and he can advise you what to do.

dingobass
08-09-2013, 09:20 AM
The Oracle says drill a small hole in the butt end, you will need an extra long drill bit to get through the block.
Feed the wire through and solder to the ground connection on the control panel.
Strip the wire at the tailpiece end, have it protruding enough to make contact with the tail piece when you screw it down.

WeirdBits
08-09-2013, 09:56 AM
And the people give thanks to the Oracle.

(DB, if the holes aren't there for the ground wire perhaps you could encourage Adam to see if the factory can add them in future)

joshj
10-09-2013, 10:22 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from WeirdBits on September 6, 2013, 14:50

/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from joshj on September 6, 2013, 12:47

Either put another hole in the control cavity for the switch, or you could:
a) use a concentric pot as your combined volume & tone and use the other hole for a 3-way switch.
b) use push/pull pots for both your volume and tone so you can switch each pickup on or off.
c) rout out a small cavity for a side mounted switch and use a LP style jack plate to mount it (although, this will also require a path drilled for the wiring to the cavity, which could be difficult).

I've decided to make things simple, there is no way around this but I will simply have to put a 3rd hole in the control cavity for a 3 way, Adam I think you need to talk to the supplier as this kit came with no 3 way switch, capacitor for a tone or a 3 way mounting point

dingobass
10-09-2013, 11:01 AM
The control panel is a direct copy of the Hofner control plate...
Mr Brendan has done a wiring diagram for the HB that will solve all your problems...
(You may run into more dramas if you try to retrofit pots etc as the control panel is pretty much a sealed unit).

joshj
10-09-2013, 08:48 PM
So dingo you don't agree with wiring it like an ex-1 with a new hole drilled in the control cavity for a 3 way?

WeirdBits
11-09-2013, 04:35 AM
I believe DB thought your post was related to a Hofner bass rather than your GD-1.

dingobass
11-09-2013, 11:02 AM
D'OH! Sorry Josh... I got confused there....

pshumack
04-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Hey guys, any TL-1TH wiring diagrams? I've seen a few Thinline diagrams around the web but there are subtle variations in some of those.

keloooe
04-12-2013, 11:25 AM
It would be the same for a standard Telecaster
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/PBG-TL-1.pdf

WeirdBits
04-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Yep, as Pest said, essentially you want the 2 Humbucker wiring diagram (http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/PBG-2Hum2Pot%20v2.pdf) but with the lever switch from the 2 Single Coil wiring diagram (http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/PBG-TL-1.pdf), if that makes sense. So, if you're using the stock humbuckers, just wire them like the single coil diagram.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/dgif7-PBG_wiring_TL_1TB_mod.jpg