PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading components on your Pit Bull Guitar

adam
06-08-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm amazed at the quality of the components that you get with our Pit Bull Guitars Kits. The machine heads, pick-ups, bridges and other bits of hardware are excellent quality for the price. However, if you feel the need to upgrade any components, or perhaps you want to try for some different sounds, you can always modify you kit with more expensive parts.

Here at Pit Bull Guitars, we recommend checking out StewMac.com. They have an excellent range of products and the prices seem pretty reasonable. Check 'em out here:

http://www.stewmac.com/

dingobass
09-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi Adam,
I have been doing business with Stewmac for quite a while now, and I can fully recommend them.
Their customer service is fantastic and orders are shipped out the day you order.
If you choose to ship using DHL, the shipment usually arrives in Perth within 5- 7 days! Faster than getting items sent over from the East Coast of Ausralia!
Regards,
Phil.

adam
09-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Hey Phil, yes, I've heard good things about StewMac. Our tech, Adam Brown, who runs a repair business in the CBD, uses them regularly.

I'd like to expand this business into higher quality upgrades eventually, but in the meantime, I'm happy to recommend StewMac.

Benj
12-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Hey guys, another +1 for Stewmac. Do you mind if I suggest a few others that I've had great dealings with?
Guitarfetish - these guys have a huge range of products that could be used to enhance your Pitbull kits, also sell their Xaviere range which are great entry level guitars (I play a Tele with GFS pickups and it is amazing for the $300 I payed).
Dragonfire Guitars - I think the pickups are out of the same factory as the GFS ones but as far as accessories go, they are a bit cheaper on average, and all of the stuff Ive bought from them has been great. If you want to upgrade a humbucker equipped guitar, hit up their Phat Screamers.

The ST-1 I'm working on will feature plenty of dragonfire products, mostly due to the fact that they have alot of colour selection.

adam
15-09-2012, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the tips Benj. Eventually we'll have a selection of our own upgrades (pick-ups, hardware, etc), but it's nice to have a few good options right now.

MitchellJBurgess
20-10-2012, 10:20 PM
I want to make a suggestion for upgrading the pickups for the sv-1.

The great man that the guitar's design was based on, Steve Vai, uses Dimarzio pickups, these are the pickups he has used, Gravity Storm Neck, Gravity Storm Bridge, The Breed Bridge, The Breed Neck, Evo 2, Bridge, Evolution Bridge, Evolution Neck, Blaze Bridge Model, Blaze Middle, Blaze Neck Model, Evolution 7, PAF Pro.

For more information, here's an information page on the pickup and his other accessories from Dimarzio. http://www.dimarzio.com/player/steve-vai
=)

adam
20-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Quote from MitchellJBurgess on October 20, 2012, 07:20
I want to make a suggestion for upgrading the pickups for the sv-1.

The great man that the guitar's design was based on, Steve Vai, uses Dimarzio pickups, these are the pickups he has used, Gravity Storm Neck, Gravity Storm Bridge, The Breed Bridge, The Breed Neck, Evo 2, Bridge, Evolution Bridge, Evolution Neck, Blaze Bridge Model, Blaze Middle, Blaze Neck Model, Evolution 7, PAF Pro.

For more information, here's an information page on the pickup and his other accessories from Dimarzio. http://www.dimarzio.com/player/steve-vai
=)

That's the great thing about these kits, Mitchell, you can upgrade anything you like on them. If you can afford it, you can try some different pick-up configurations.

dingobass
21-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Benj has recommended Guitarfetish for parts. I also give them a big thumbs up! The service and backup is excellent and nothing is a problem for Dave at Guitarfetish.

Dingobass

Benj
23-10-2012, 01:07 AM
If you can, put some of those DiMarzio Gravity Storms in, they are brand new from DiMarzio/Vai and from the clips I've heard, they sound amazing! And cheers Dingo, yeah Guitar Fetish seem to give really great service. I actually picked up their tuner and chorus pedals which I've lined up against my brothers boss (Chromatic Tuner and Super Chorus) and TC-Electronics tuner and Corona Chorus and they are definately as good, if not better. If I hadnt already bought a Crunch Box, Tubescreamer and Phase 90, I would have bought my whole pedalboard from them!

23-10-2012, 04:28 AM
I've tried GFS before, and they're above OK. I've used several sets of humbuckers and twin rails, but eventually swapped them out. I wanted to like them, but... However, if you want to put down a little bit more coin, there are local alternatives.

Adam probably knows Perry Ormsby who is there for your hand wound pickup needs. He's winding the pickup* for Junior, who will be unleashed on the world prior to summer. I've only ever used his P90s, but they make GFS' P90s run away and hide.

Every quote he's given me says that if you're in Perth and drop your axe in he will install for free. However, best not to annoy him right at this very time- he's moving workshops.

There's also Chris Kinman Pickups in Brisbane. Cost wise they are less than the top end brand names, but in a lot of people's opinions basically crap on them and are noiseless while they do it. Anyone who produces the pickups that Tommy Emannuel insists on and Hank Marvin uses must be doing something right.

There was also the guy who was doing all my pickups, but he is no longer with us... :(

* (P90 Old School+ Alnico V Scatterwound)

dingobass
23-10-2012, 12:07 PM
I have seen Ormsby pups for sale at Kosmic here in Perth.

24-10-2012, 02:30 AM
Quote from dingobass on October 22, 2012, 21:07

He was at Beaconsfield, and apparently last seen moving several hundred kg (if not several tonnes) of equipment and wood to his new top secret bunker. These mad geniuses... We're not like that, are we? :D

dingobass
25-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Ha ha ah aha :D
Mad genius indeed, I saw a photo on FB where they were moving a monster machine that weighed in over 850 kg.... got it on the tralier with a forklift but had no forklift at the other end. Apparently they unloaded it with a couple of planks, and a lot of grunting and swearing no doubt!

Perry does build some awesome axes and deserves the accolades he has recieved!
Hope he can stay at his new location for a decent length of time, from memory this is his second move in 2 years?

dingobass
01-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Quote from dmac on October 22, 2012, 13:28

There's also Chris Kinman Pickups in Brisbane. Cost wise they are less than the top end brand names, but in a lot of people's opinions basically crap on them and are noiseless while they do it. Anyone who produces the pickups that Tommy Emannuel insists on and Hank Marvin uses must be doing something right.

Just checked out Kinman's web site..... OUCH, that is expensive! They must be something else for that kind of coin.. But I do trust dmac's judgement on these things so I might get these rather than Bareknuckles Nail bombs to swap out the GFS pups I installed in the Axe of Destiny...

01-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Quote from dingobass on October 31, 2012, 18:38

There's also Chris Kinman Pickups in Brisbane. Cost wise they are less than the top end brand names, but in a lot of people's opinions basically crap on them and are noiseless while they do it. Anyone wset of piho produces the pickups that Tommy Emannuel insists on and Hank Marvin uses must be doing something right.

Just checked out Kinman's web site..... OUCH, that is expensive! They must be something else for that kind of coin.. But I do trust dmac's judgement on these things so I might get these rather than Bareknuckles Nail bombs to swap out the GFS pups I installed in the Axe of Destiny...

They are expensive. They are good. But also remember- I've got one set of pickups that are in their third body. So if there in, say, a strat guard, they won't be disturbed.

Funnily enough, that reminds me of the name of one band I was seen with. It was about 10 guys who would make up a band of 4 or 5 when the booking came through. It was called Grandad's Axe- Grandad's had his axe for 50 years. He's changed the handle 3 times and the head twice, but it's still the same axe.

dingobass
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Grandad's had his axe for 50 years. He's changed the handle 3 times and the head twice, but it's still the same axe.

Ha ha ha ha! :D

I can remember my Grandfather telling me that one when I was a little un!

Totally convinced now dmac....The Kinmans are going in the Axe of Destiny!

dingobass
02-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Quote from dmac on October 23, 2012, 11:30

Quote from dingobass on October 22, 2012, 21:07

He was at Beaconsfield, and apparently last seen moving several hundred kg (if not several tonnes) of equipment and wood to his new top secret bunker. These mad geniuses... We're not like that, are we? :D

Afraid we might be, dMac... I think it is an occupational hazzard for the creative.

stui
26-01-2013, 02:04 AM
Quote from on October 22, 2012, 13:28
I know I'm ressurecting an old thread here, but for those interested, it's worth checking out the twin blade pickups made by Bill Lawrence at Wilde Bill pickups.
These are actually made by Bill in his workshop to order, and are not to be confused with the Bill Lawrence USA pickups, which were designed by him originally. He hasn't been involved with Bill Lawrence USA for quite some time now, and is back making pickups under a different brand name for legal reasons.
He has been refining his designs over the years, and many regard his pups as world beaters, whilst being extremely well priced.

You can check out his gear at wildepickups.com

dingobass
26-01-2013, 02:30 AM
Quote from stui on January 25, 2013, 11:04
[quote]Quote from on October 22, 2012, 13:28

Thanks Stui,

Always great to hear of new gear.

Gavin1393
26-01-2013, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the headsup Stui! Much appreciated...although I suspect a certain DB may be winding his own shortly!

keloooe
26-01-2013, 03:43 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 25, 2013, 12:33
Thanks for the headsup Stui! Much appreciated...although I suspect a certain DB may be winding his own shortly!

Yep, he probably would *hint*

GlennGP
26-01-2013, 04:23 AM
Quote from stui on January 25, 2013, 11:04
I know I'm ressurecting an old thread here, but for those interested, it's worth checking out the twin blade pickups made by Bill Lawrence at Wilde Bill pickups.
These are actually made by Bill in his workshop to order, and are not to be confused with the Bill Lawrence USA pickups, which were designed by him originally. He hasn't been involved with Bill Lawrence USA for quite some time now, and is back making pickups under a different brand name for legal reasons.
He has been refining his designs over the years, and many regard his pups as world beaters, whilst being extremely well priced.

You can check out his gear at wildepickups.com

Thanks Stui - bookmarked!

GGP

yakkmeister
27-01-2013, 03:02 AM
My 2c worth ...

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/

These guys are awesome!
Also, you can get Tonerider pickups here. I have Tonerider pickups in a few of my guitars and I have installed them in mate's and customer's guitars ... They *always* sound great and they're not expensive.

keloooe
27-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Quote from yakkmeister on January 26, 2013, 12:02
My 2c worth ...

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/

These guys are awesome!
Also, you can get Tonerider pickups here. I have Tonerider pickups in a few of my guitars and I have installed them in mate's and customer's guitars ... They *always* sound great and they're not expensive.

Just checked them out, might use them instead of StewMac!!!

AJ
21-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Probably the wrong spot to ask this , but am looking at getting some "cheapish" nut files.. I came across this on EBay and was wondering if it would be suitable for doing "nuts" string slots?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AxeMasters-Guitar-NUT-SLOT-FILE-SET-KIT-Luthier-Saws-BEST-AVAILABLE-/181042331681?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a26f6c021

Gavin1393
21-05-2013, 11:04 AM
I'd say that these would work for a nut that you put into a vice, however for fine tuning the string slots you'd really be better off with a proper nut file. The last thing you need it a cumberson saw damaging your fretboard, frets or headstock when you are trying to finetune the nut!

AJ
21-05-2013, 12:03 PM
:( bummer everyone one wants a million bucks for a set of files that cost maybe $1 to produce in Thailand.....

Gavin1393
21-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Have you seen the Stewmac ones?

Brendan
21-05-2013, 12:29 PM
My plan for now is to use the supplied strings to file down the grooves - I've got a set of Ernie Balls en route with my bass' name on them...

Brendan
21-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on May 20, 2013, 21:05
Have you seen the Stewmac ones?
Agree with AJ - @ $13 per file for the cheap ones + delivery - it's an expensive way to build a couple of guitars. :(

Gavin1393
21-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Quote from Brendan on May 20, 2013, 21:29
My plan for now is to use the supplied strings to file down the grooves - I've got a set of Ernie Balls en route with my bass' name on them...

Brenden, I wouldn't do that. If you have already got the groves in place you can use strings to assist to file the nut. But working from scratch with guitar strings will take you far linger to make the slot and it will be very hard to control getting the slot at exactly the right spot.

Brendan
21-05-2013, 12:39 PM
This looks a little cheap though - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Guitar-care-Maintenance-Tools-Kit-3-Files-Ruler-string-Winder-carry-case-bag-New-/330842599512?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item4d07c17058

Gavin1393
21-05-2013, 01:37 PM
I think the rule is cheap and nasty when it comes to precision tools. I bought a set of 5 files from Stewmac when I was a naive young luthier almost two years ago. I was supplied with what effectively was a bass string file, and 4 other files in my kit. The problem was that only 2 of the files were reasonably close to the string size. I worked with this since I didnt know any better until i realised after watching another luthier file his nuts with precision and saw how the strings drop into these perfect slots and no string rattle! I immediately went out and bought the missing files and have never regretted paying the price asked.

dingobass
21-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Yep, I agree with Gavin.
$13 each may seem expensive for the nut slotting files, but they will last you a lifetime.
I know an elderly Luthier over east that has had his nut files for over 30 years!

When it comes to tools, never buy cheap because cheap tools give a cheap result ;)

Brendan
21-05-2013, 01:47 PM
I guess that's one thing that bass builders have over guitar builders - we only need 4 files... :D

Small silver lining...

Brendan
21-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Has anyone used the preslotted nuts from http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/nuts/bone-nuts.html?
Unfortunately the bass slotted nuts have a curved bottom on them and I believe the PBG necks are all set up for flat nuts...

dingobass
21-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Yep. Once.... These are the El Cheapo bleached rubbish from Asia, I wouldn't waste my time!

Brendan
22-05-2013, 03:33 AM
Gracias - will save my hard earned.

Tony Bones
08-06-2013, 03:20 AM
Quote from dingobass on October 20, 2012, 18:45
Benj has recommended Guitarfetish for parts. I also give them a big thumbs up! The service and backup is excellent and nothing is a problem for Dave at Guitarfetish.

Dingobass

There are two reasons I don't use Stewmac, and neither has anything to do with the quality or selection of their parts. I do not make any purchases from vendors in the same state(Ohio) because I do not pay sales tax for online purchases. In the future if I need something only Stewmac sells I'll go for it. The second is that their in-state shipping is prohibitive. I'm not paying 9 dollars US for a 5 dollar Switchcraft 1/4 inch jack. Other than those two glitches, I highly recommend them.

Guitarfetish has a selection of esoteric and hard to find mod parts that is right up my alley and I expect to do a lot of business with them. Shortly I plan on buying Pit Bull's Firebird. I will be using the Gibson Les Paul Deluxe/Gold Top Mini humbuckers. GF has the ring/mounting adapters that will make my 3 pickup Firebird scream.

Bones

travisloughhead
29-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Hi Guys.
Ive been looking around for new hardware to fit the look of my LP-1P,Ive noticed that the hardware made in Japan and Korea are built to 7/16" whereas the china made ones are 3/8". Adam, would you be able to tell me where the hardware that comes stock is from? Also I found that the machine heads I'm looking at require a 8.8mm hole and mine are just about 1-1.05ish. will that have a large affect on how it comes together?

GlennGP
29-11-2013, 11:08 AM
(Not related to Travis' post)

I'm on Guitarfetish's mailing list, and they have a pretty major sale on now, using coupons. If you're in the market for upgraded anything you can save some hefty percentages, as follows (I figure I can repost this here, since I could have forwarded the email anywhere, but putting it here should send a bit more business their way!):

These coupons go live on WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 27 at 10:00PM and run until Midnight on December 2nd!

We will be FILLING our clearance section with new items every day for the next five days- and the 15% coupon applies to ALL-
so we have given each coupon code an unlimited amount of uses-
since we know many of you will be coming back several times to grab the best deals.
Also note that ALL of our hardshell guitar cases and 6-guitar hardshell case stands
are back in stock and discounts DO APPLY!

Buy ANYTHING on the Guitarfetish.com website and save 10%
by using the coupon code 10black

Buy ANY item in our Hardware Section and save an instant 15%
by using the coupon code 15black

Buy ANY item in our Redactive plug-n-play category or any item in our
Redactive electronics category and save an instant 15%
using the coupon code 15black

Buy ANY item in our Clearance section-
Yes ANY ITEM- NOTHING HELD BACK
and save an ADDITIONAL 15% using the coupon code 15black
YES- This DOES apply to our Factory Blowout section!!

Buy ANY Item in our Tremolo Section and save an additional 15%
using the coupon code 15black
This goes for everything- Even Xtrems!

SO let's go over this one more time-

10black Saves 10% on ANYTHING
15black saves 15% on Redactive hardware and plug-n-play kits
15black saves 15% on EVERYTHING in the clearance section
15black saves 15% on ALL Tremolos
20black saves 20% on ALL Guitar Hardware

Use ALL coupons on the same order.
Simply fill your cart, then add each coupon, one at a time,
to the coupon code box. All three will work ON THE SAME ORDER but will not stack.
YES- These coupons apply to items EVEN IF THEY ARE ALREADY ON SALE!

Have fun everyone!

adam
29-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Hi Travis, to answer your question, our kits are made in China. I thought all the parts are pretty much interchangeable, but I'm sure the regulars here can offer some more accurate advice.