PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Decal Cutter

Trevor Davies
05-09-2021, 08:18 PM
There have been a couple of posts lately of people using the CRICUT cutting machines.
I have just got a CRICUT Joy (smart cutting machine). It seems like an economical way of making your own vinyl stickers. I picked up a machine for $200 and the vinyl was about $10 for a 13 cm x 120 cm roll. Lots of different vinyl colours available.

And no, I'm not getting a commission from this!

The machine connects via bluetooth to a computer or smart phone. It uses a program called Cricut Design Space. I have uploaded my black TJD logo , originally a jpg file. Used a jpg to svg online converter (https://convertio.co/jpg-svg/). Uploaded the svg image to the design space. It was easy to adjust the logo size and number of copies. Ran the Cricut machine. Within a minute I had a (3) gold coloured logos.

It was quite easy to pick off the unwanted sections of the vinyl. Then used some transfer tape to move the logo onto the headstock. Did not take long at all. Not sure how many coats of tru-oil I will need to cover it (but probably no worse than packing tape)!

Than also did a white SG sticker to put on the truss rod cover of my AG-2.

Anyway , I was impressed, so I thought I would share.

FrankenWashie
06-09-2021, 05:14 AM
I am trying to negotiate similar use of the brides silhouette machine (like your cricut, but does 300x300 sheets of vinyl)
no joy so far😢

FaustoB
26-09-2021, 09:17 AM
Hey Trevor,
this is interesting, thanks for sharing!

Do you have any tips on how to install the vinyl decal onto the headstock?
I would love to install decals on the side of the headstock, opposite to the machine heads.

Thank you in advance!

Trevor Davies
26-09-2021, 01:08 PM
Hi FaustoB,
not really sure what you mean with "Do you have any tips on how to install the vinyl decal onto the headstock?"

I prepared the headstock the same way as when I added slide decal paper logos or packing tape logos. That is with a few layers of final coat. Sand this smooth. Then add the vinyl logo (literally pushed on like a sticker). Then added more final coats to bury the edges of the vinyl.

As far as the Vinyl material goes:
Once the unwanted part of the vinyl was removed from the backing, stick some Cricut Transfer Tape (which keeps all the logo parts with their correct spacing) onto the front side of the vinyl logo. The transfer tape is pushed/rubbed hard to the logo. The white backing is then carefully peeled off and removed. This then reveals the underneath (sticky side) of the vinyl logo. The transfer tape with logo is then placed onto the headstock. The logo part is rubbed onto the headstock. The transfer tape is then carefully peeled off and (hopefully) the vinyl logo stays on the headstock.

I hope this helps.

Rabbit
26-09-2021, 04:21 PM
As far as the Vinyl material goes:
Once the unwanted part of the vinyl was removed from the backing, stick some Cricut Transfer Tape (which keeps all the logo parts with their correct spacing) onto the front side of the vinyl logo. The transfer tape is pushed/rubbed hard to the logo. The white backing is then carefully peeled off and removed. This then reveals the underneath (sticky side) of the vinyl logo. The transfer tape with logo is then placed onto the headstock. The logo part is rubbed onto the headstock. The transfer tape is then carefully peeled off and (hopefully) the vinyl logo stays on the headstock.

The other option which leaves less edge and gives a few more options is to use a low tack vinyl, and instead of picking up the decal as a sticker, you weed out the decal part and use the negative space as a one shot stencil. You can then use colours the printer won't do, as well as shading which the printer will do. The application is the same but you pick up on the transfer tape (which itself is good for making one off stencils) the parts of the decal you would normally throw away.

FaustoB
26-09-2021, 04:30 PM
I prepared the headstock the same way as when I added slide decal paper logos or packing tape logos. That is with a few layers of final coat. Sand this smooth. Then add the vinyl logo (literally pushed on like a sticker). Then added more final coats to bury the edges of the vinyl.

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you!
Sorry I realise now that my question was very generic, your response is very comprehensive, I appreciate it.

I'm currently considering one of these vinyl cutter machines as it could be handy for other projects non music related.

FaustoB
27-09-2021, 05:46 AM
And thanks Rabbit, the one shot stencil is a great idea!

Trevor Davies
15-01-2023, 11:38 AM
Some examples of the vinyl decals I have used in my builds.

Rabbit
16-01-2023, 07:31 PM
Looking good Trevor :)

It always comes as a surprise how crisp and how fine the cuts can be with the cricut. The stencil I did for Henry on the axe bass headstock turned out great.

Trevor Davies
17-01-2023, 06:26 AM
Looking good Trevor :)

It always comes as a surprise how crisp and how fine the cuts can be with the cricut. The stencil I did for Henry on the axe bass headstock turned out great.

Thanks Rabbit. Maybe you could add a pic of Henry as an example of a vinyl stencil.

Rabbit
17-01-2023, 01:46 PM
Thanks Rabbit. Maybe you could add a pic of Henry as an example of a vinyl stencil.

Not so much the stencil but the results of the stencil:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/y35/colective/Mean_Gene_headstock_cleared.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

Its basically the same as what you would do with your vinyl logos, only you weed out the parts you would normally use as your logo, and use this as the stencil to airbrush the logo. You end up with a thinner edge than the vinyl, and like Henry (the name of Black Sabath's logo), you can have multiple custom colours. In this case red and black candy.