PDA

View Full Version : Old 80's Tascam 20-Ch Analog Mixing Desk.

DrNomis_44
22-06-2021, 04:53 PM
Hey Everyone,

Geez, you wouldn't believe what a mate of mine will be giving me next week, an old 80's Tascam 20-Ch Analog Mixing Desk, my mate said that it may need some restoration work, but it does have the power supply that normally comes with it, want to know what it looks like?....here's a pic of it:

I'm not sure exactly what the model number is, but it should be fairly easy to work-out, hopefully I'll be able to find a user and service manual for it online.

Simon Barden
22-06-2021, 05:02 PM
It looks fairly modular, but you'll still have fun taking it apart and cleaning pots and faders. Some recapping probably necessary as well.

20:8 model, so really for use with an 8 track rather than as a live desk, though you obviously can do that as well using only 2 of the output channels.

But it's got the meter bridge, which is useful.

Simon Barden
22-06-2021, 05:05 PM
M520 would seem to be the model. One on Reverb here:

https://reverb.com/item/7613662-tascam-m520-20-8-2-16-vintage-analog-mixing-console-with-power-supply-and-cable

DrNomis_44
22-06-2021, 05:18 PM
Hey cheers Simon, I can confirm that it is indeed a Tascam M-520, what's more, the service/user manuals are available for free on the internet as a pdf download, my mate is giving the desk to me....for nothing.

I wonder how hard it'll be to connect it up to the mic/line-ins of my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40?, the Saffire Pro 40 has a total of 8 mic/line ins.

Simon Barden
22-06-2021, 05:41 PM
Well, it's got 8 main line-outs, so it should just be a case of 8 TRS to TRS cables, though an 8-way loom may be more convenient. And then you'll want your outputs 3-10 connected back to the desk if you want to use it as a proper analogue mixer.

But the mic inputs on your Focusrite are probably better than the ones on the desk, which will invariably add more noise.

Adding a mixer to a digital recording setup isn't normally a wise move unless you really want to mix in an analogue way. But then you really need a fair bit of analogue hardware like compressors and reverb and gates etc. otherwise you are just using it as an analogue summing box.

DrNomis_44
22-06-2021, 05:55 PM
Well, it's got 8 main line-outs, so it should just be a case of 8 TRS to TRS cables, though an 8-way loom may be more convenient. And then you'll want your outputs 3-10 connected back to the desk if you want to use it as a proper analogue mixer.

But the mic inputs on your Focusrite are probably better than the ones on the desk, which will invariably add more noise.

Adding a mixer to a digital recording setup isn't normally a wise move unless you really want to mix in an analogue way. But then you really need a fair bit of analogue hardware like compressors and reverb and gates etc. otherwise you are just using it as an analogue summing box.

I do happen to have an ARX 6-Gate, and a DBX 166XL Compressor/Limiter/Gate, and apparently some studios are getting back to using analog gear, so it would be nice to have the option to be able to mix in an analog way, digital plugins can sometimes be a bit of a cpu hog.

DrNomis_44
23-06-2021, 01:41 PM
Update:

I've just been able to find some more documentation for the Tascam M-520 online, including some circuit board layouts, I've noticed that most of the circuitry in the M-520 seems to be using 455X series Op Amp ICs, like the JRC4558, which I'm familiar with, since the JRC4558 Op Amp is an inherently noisy one, I'm wondering if I will be able to replace the stock 455X series ICs with maybe TLO7X series ICs to reduce the noise levels, since the TLO72CP is a low-noise JFet Dual Op Amp IC?, I'll see what 455X series ICs the M-520 actually uses and see if I can find IC Datasheets for them online.

I've just gone through all the documentation I was able to find for the Tascam M-520, and it looks like I've got all the documentation I'll ever need to give it a good service and restoration job......fun times ahead!!!!

Simon Barden
23-06-2021, 02:20 PM
I’d do the minimum possible to start with, and only change things if there is a real problem, rather than making work for yourself.

I’d start by measuring the power supply voltages and noise levels, as noise there will be passed on to the whole mixer.

Whilst the op-amps may be noisier than more modern ones, I’d measure the noise on a channel or two as a baseline. And change a component at a time and remeasure to see what difference (if any) your change made. The mic preamp is going to have the most gain, so that may benefit from quieter opamps (if it uses them rather than discrete transistors). Most opamps will be operating at pretty low gains, so you may not hear any benefit after making the mic-pre quieter (much like fitting the quietest 12AX7 you have as the first valve in a guitar amp as that makes the most difference).

When measuring, don’t forget to fit an XLR or jack with a terminating resistor across it to simulate a mic or preamp output, as any open/unconnected input will be noisy.

DrNomis_44
23-06-2021, 02:30 PM
Found this cool video on youtube, here's a guy showing how to put-together a Dub Reggae track, and, you can clearly see the Tascam M-520 studio mixing desk he's using to mix all the instrument tracks into a stereo mixdown, what a Fat analog sound he's getting there, I like it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-c9KR5SBi8

DrNomis_44
23-06-2021, 02:33 PM
I’d do the minimum possible to start with, and only change things if there is a real problem, rather than making work for yourself.

I’d start by measuring the power supply voltages and noise levels, as noise there will be passed on to the whole mixer.

Whilst the op-amps may be noisier than more modern ones, I’d measure the noise on a channel or two as a baseline. And change a component at a time and remeasure to see what difference (if any) your change made. The mic preamp is going to have the most gain, so that may benefit from quieter opamps (if it uses them rather than discrete transistors). Most opamps will be operating at pretty low gains, so you may not hear any benefit after making the mic-pre quieter (much like fitting the quietest 12AX7 you have as the first valve in a guitar amp as that makes the most difference).

When measuring, don’t forget to fit an XLR or jack with a terminating resistor across it to simulate a mic or preamp output, as any open/unconnected input will be noisy.

Cheers Simon, I will definitely do that because I want to restore the mixer to a fully-working condition so that it is working well enough to be usable in a studio session.

I've got a good Digital Multimeter (has a capacitance function), and a 20Mhz Dual Trace Analog Oscilloscope I can use as test equipment while working on the desk, I may need to buy a Function Generator on eBay for use as an Audio Signal Generator, I've also got a Semiconductor Analyser as well.

What value of Terminating Resistor could you suggest using?

DrNomis_44
02-07-2021, 09:42 AM
Hopefully by next week, I'll have the Tascam M-520 desk set-up in my little studio room, will post some more pics for you guys.

DrNomis_44
06-07-2021, 12:09 PM
Update:

Today is the day my mate said he was going to be bringing the Tascam M-520 desk round to my place at 5:30pm this afternoon, so I decided to get busy and do some re-organizing of my studio room so I have somewhere to put the desk, will post pics of the desk later on.....stay tuned!!!!

Here we go, as promised, here's a pic of the desk set-up in my little studio room:

DrNomis_44
06-07-2021, 06:21 PM
As luck would have it, I managed to find an online company that sells replacement parts for my Tascam M-520 desk, so this is looking like a very viable restoration project.

https://www.tascamninja.com/collections/tascam-mixer-parts?page=8

DrNomis_44
07-07-2021, 11:08 AM
The good news is that all the input channels do have their link in place, so I'm not missing any of them, one thing I am missing is the cable that connects the rackmount power supply module to the desk, until either my friend finds it, or, I manage to buy one online, I can't really do any testing of the desk for the time being.

Some of the panels do look a bit corroded, so I'll have to either get them restored, or source replacements, I also noticed that one of the channels is missing one of the EQ knobs.

JohnH
07-07-2021, 12:02 PM
Looks like an amazing bit of gear!

DrNomis_44
07-07-2021, 12:51 PM
Looks like an amazing bit of gear!

Cheers, I'm pretty stoked that I've got it, I can't wait to start honing my mixing-chops on it, once I've got it all restored and it's in good condition, I'm going to put lots of hours into learning the desk and familiarizing myself with it.

Hopefully I can get it working and playing nicely with my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 audio interface.

Simon Barden
07-07-2021, 02:42 PM
Those PS-520 cables are very rare and hard to find. You may end up having to make one (if you can get the parts).

Here’s a blog of someone who made his own cable to return a M-520 to standard after a previous owner had done a hardwired link from the PSU to the mixer (presumably after losing the cable and not finding a replacement).

http://rainbowjoe.byethost9.com/ReplacementHiroseConnectorandCord.html?i=1

Though some butchering and a hardwired link may be your only option as those Hirose connectors are also very rare now. Canford Audio in the UK sell Hirose, but they only have the current range of round connectors in stock.

DrNomis_44
07-07-2021, 02:49 PM
Those PS-520 cables are very rare and hard to find. You may end up having to make one (if you can get the parts).

Here’s a blog of someone who made his own cable to return a M-520 to standard after a previous owner had done a hardwired link from the PSU to the mixer (presumably after losing the cable and not finding a replacement).

http://rainbowjoe.byethost9.com/ReplacementHiroseConnectorandCord.html?i=1

Though some butchering and a hardwired link may be your only option as those Hirose connectors are also very rare now. Canford Audio in the UK sell Hirose, but they only have the current range of round connectors in stock.

What if I retro-fitted a different connector plug/socket that had the same number of pins as the originals, but was easier to source?

Simon Barden
07-07-2021, 03:29 PM
You can certainly do that. You may need to fit a blanking plate on the PSU and mixer to fit them on but that isn’t hard. A right-angled connector for the mixer would be best so it can sit flatter against a wall.

Simon Barden
07-07-2021, 03:32 PM
But much better if your friend can find that cable!

Even if the mixer doesn’t work as a whole, the cable will be worth selling and working mixer channel cards could be sold separately for spares.

DrNomis_44
07-07-2021, 03:46 PM
But much better if your friend can find that cable!

Even if the mixer doesn’t work as a whole, the cable will be worth selling and working mixer channel cards could be sold separately for spares.

I've got a sheet metal nibbling-tool that I can use to cut rectangular shaped holes in sheet aluminium pretty easily, it cuts nice 90 degree corners, so, if my friend can't find the original power cable, I'll seriously look at retro-fitting both the desk and the power supply with new, and easily source-able connectors, as much as possible, I really want to try and get the desk restored so it's in a good, and usable condition, the prices for spare parts look reasonable enough to make restoring the desk a viable proposition, it may take a lot of my time though, but it'll be worth it.

Just so happens, I enjoy a bit of a challenge anyway.

DrNomis_44
07-07-2021, 03:52 PM
You can certainly do that. You may need to fit a blanking plate on the PSU and mixer to fit them on but that isn’t hard. A right-angled connector for the mixer would be best so it can sit flatter against a wall.

Fitting a new blanking-plate sounds easy enough to do, I've got some spare aluminium sheeting that should do the job, I think it's about 1.5 mm thick or so.

DrNomis_44
09-07-2021, 09:49 AM
I've also got a smaller Allen & Heath Icon DP1000 digital mixer that I want to restore to fully working condition as well.