PDA

View Full Version : June Guitar of the Month

Brendan
02-05-2021, 10:43 PM
June Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in May)

Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars June Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished on (or before) the end of May.

One guitar/bass per member per month.
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable).
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable.

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to brendan (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning guitars around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

Competition for June closes at the end of May (Perth Western Australian time).

The sorts of things we judge on include:
· How well have the body and neck been prepared
· Is the choice of finish for the style of guitar appropriate
· How well has the finish been applied
· How well has all the hardware, pickups, etc, been installed
· Does it have the 'Wow Factor'· Which guitar would you make a beeline for in a guitar shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

BTW - remember that the winner is invited to be a guest judge the following month!

jmax
03-05-2021, 04:25 PM
Here's my entry, finished on the 2nd of May.

An ES-12Q.

Specifics:

Wilkinson tuners
Tesla Shark humbuckers from Iron Gear
KAISH tuneomatic piezo bridge that I converted from 6 string to 12 string
Kluson rimless bridge bushings to compensate for the greater height of the piezo bridge and the too-shallow neck angle of the kit
No name tailpiece
No name toggle switch
3 IKN push/pull pots - coil splitting for the humbuckers, on/off for the piezo
Stock pot and cap for the master tone
mxuteuk witch hat knobs
Generic 1/4" socket
Copper shielding tape in the pickup routes

Finish: Wudtone Azure Lagoon with silver mix-in highlights and extra gloss top coat

jmax
03-05-2021, 04:27 PM
And here are some detail shots

Wayne.Mumford
03-05-2021, 04:41 PM
Nice work J, that colour is really nice and looks great on that quilted top. The way you have splayed the tuners is a bit different, I also found the tuners a bit close on my ES-12G.

jmax
03-05-2021, 04:49 PM
Thanks! I splayed the tuners both for practical reasons, and because I thought it would look interesting.

project_chris
08-05-2021, 04:52 PM
Here is my entry for GOTM, finished on 5th of May

Specs:

27” scale length
Basswood body
Spalted maple top
Maple neck
Rosewood fretboard
Tune-o-matic bridge
Single volume knob with 3-way selector

I stained the whole guitar with Colortone Vintage Amber (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ColorTone-Guitar-Stain-VINTAGE-AMBER-/142316921482?norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-153696-586386-2&mkcid=2&keyword=&crlp=355319841092_&MT_ID=&geo_id=&rlsatarget=dsa-767705936068&adpos=&device=c&mktype=&loc=9070534&poi=&abcId=&cmpgn=2032798714&sitelnk=&adgroupid=77329603372&network=g&matchtype=b&gclid=CjwKCAjw7diEBhB-EiwAskVi18UZtFf6K_JNLiRcXERdXPkWqp0NA0nXA-WtrggpKLNxhvWd5-OieRoCTggQAvD_BwE) stain and then used a Feast Watson Maple (https://www.bunnings.com.au/feast-watson-50ml-maple-prooftint-interior-stain_p1569867) stain on the back over the top of the yellow, i think it worked nicely.

Finished with boiled linseed oil and a couple of very thin clear coats on the top of the body and headstock for a slight sheen.

The 27” scale length lets me get away with using a relatively light set of strings (9-52) for standard B and drop A, as well as having appropriate tension for my play style.

The factory forgot the routing for the pickup selector switch, but as it happens i wanted to change the location of it anyway so it worked out well.

The headstock in the image look ginormous but that's just because of the angle of the photo, it's quite a reasonable size.

Future upgrades will include a graphite nut and some locking tuners, possibly a new set of pickups.

I have always loved the IC shape and so happy to own this, super impressed by the quality of work by Pitbull guitars.

project_chris
09-05-2021, 09:58 AM
Love seeing another IC build, great job. Love the binding and gold hardware!

Is that not a flame maple top though?

lawarmotte
13-05-2021, 02:40 PM
Hi everyone !

Here is my first Pitbull bass guitar, it's a GPB-4M with black hardware.

- BEAD drop, so the nut has been modified for the bigger gauge
- Seymour Duncan SP3B pickups + Homemade wiring --> microswitch CLEAN / OFF / FILTERED (capacitor)
- Copper Shielded cavity
- Homemade carbon thumbrest/fingersboard
- Göldo heavy bridge

For the finish, it's a nitrolack yellow stain + True Oil

Since it was my first "real" build from scratch, I did learn a lot with this kit. It was kind of scary some time, afraid of making a mistake but in the end it was totaly worth it !

Thanks for your comments !

WeirdBits
16-05-2021, 03:09 PM
June Guitar Ozzbike of the Month (https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=11477&page=2)

June Ozzbike of the Month (for Ozzbikes and Ozzbikes finished in May)

Enter your finished Ozzbike or Ozzbike here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars June Ozzbike of the Month.

Please remember:

For Ozzbikes or Ozzbikes finished on (or before) the end of May.

Ozzbike Ozzbike/Ozzbike per Ozzbike per month.
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars Ozzbike (mods and upgrades acceptable).
Ozzbike or Ozzbike must be finished and playable.

We need at least 4 disturbing photos:
· full Ozzbike shot from the front;
· shot of the back of the Ozzbike; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name Ozzbikes)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to brendan (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur Ozzbikes only. If you are making and selling Ozzbikes for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning Ozzbikes around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

· Is the choice of finish for the style of Ozzbike appropriate
· Does it have the 'Wow Factor'· Which Ozzbike would you make a beeline for in a Ozzbike shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

BTW - remember that the winner is invited to be a guest Ozzbike the following month!

project_chris
17-05-2021, 12:03 PM
Ozzbike is the kid that bought all the raffle tickets! :p Good luck to ya!

ozzbike
18-05-2021, 02:11 PM
June Guitar Ozzbike of the Month (https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=11477&page=2)

June Ozzbike of the Month (for Ozzbikes and Ozzbikes finished in May)

Enter your finished Ozzbike or Ozzbike here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars June Ozzbike of the Month.

Please remember:

For Ozzbikes or Ozzbikes finished on (or before) the end of May.

Ozzbike Ozzbike/Ozzbike per Ozzbike per month.
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars Ozzbike (mods and upgrades acceptable).
Ozzbike or Ozzbike must be finished and playable.

We need at least 4 disturbing photos:
· full Ozzbike shot from the front;
· shot of the back of the Ozzbike; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name Ozzbikes)

Please note: This competition is open to amateur Ozzbikes only. If you are making and selling Ozzbikes for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning Ozzbikes around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

· Is the choice of finish for the style of Ozzbike appropriate
· Does it have the 'Wow Factor'· Which Ozzbike would you make a beeline for in a Ozzbike shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

BTW - remember that the winner is invited to be a guest Ozzbike the following month!

Ozzbike is the kid that bought all the raffle tickets! :p Good luck to ya!

Capital "P"...rix.....funny though, the two of you. :) :)

I think Ozzbike will sit this part of the forum out for now.

Edit…30th May. Finished number 4 for the month today. Wow.

Brendan
01-06-2021, 08:24 PM
Hey Ozz - happy for you to put an entry in each month. We're not terribly exclusive :).

dbeltrami
02-06-2021, 12:11 PM
Looks amazing and love the finish colour. Congratulations on your build.
Would love to know more about how you finished the guitar.

Brendan
02-06-2021, 10:57 PM
OK - comp closed. New one open soon.

ozzbike
04-06-2021, 01:53 PM
Hey Ozz - happy for you to put an entry in each month. We're not terribly exclusive :).

Nope, that will not be happening. Good luck to all that enter. It is their turns now.

Wayne.Mumford
05-06-2021, 11:50 AM
Good on ya Ozz, I feel the same and won’t be entering any future GOTMs. I have had a couple of wins and that will do. Leave it to the newbies for now.

Brendan
22-06-2021, 08:29 PM
Judges comments are in - apologies, but have been down with the dreaded man flu... https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/man-flu-really-thing-2018010413033

Jmax's ES-12Q -
You could swim in that finish – nicely done. Like the colour choice and the overall effect of the guitar. Beautifully done!
Great finish, vivid and sharp. Really highlights the quilting. Very good detailing with logo, neck joint and general shine to the whole instrument.
Great colour. Gives the illusion of tropical waters. Definitely eye-catching. Nicely done.
A very eye catching colour, the Quilted top looks like ripples in a shallow pond, very nice.
The fittings are well installed, like the tuners that are slightly turned out. I know the tuners are a little close on the ES-12 and hard to get your fingers on, a good remedy that looks great.
A lot of mods done on this guitar, but I would’ve liked to see a better truss rod cover used instead of the kit one. Well done.

Project_Chris' IC-7 -
Understated and classy – not what I expected from an IC – but gives it a new feel. I like it! Well done Chris.
7 strings and spalt - 2 of my favorite things. Very subtle finish really lets the veneer show off is figuring. Not a fan of the headstock but it is all about personal taste.
Nicely finished with good smooth gloss on ash. Simple but effective colour scheme.
A nicely turned out guitar, I am a sucker for spalted tops. A nice clean and simple look with the one volume and one selector switch. The black hardware always looks great with the natural timber. The lighter colours used really brings the spalted top to life.
Another nice looking axe, but again it would have looked better, in my opinion, with a better truss rod cover.
Lost points for no head stock logo.

lawarmotte's GPB-4M -
Elegant and classy. Only distraction for me is the sticker that seems to step away from this vibe. Otherwise – one I’d like to test out!
Neat build. Again i like the subtle finish. The black hardware and plate really look good against the plain body. Some nice pickup upgrades and unique wiring option.
Well executed overall, nice warm earth tones.
A nice looking P-bass, the carbon fibre thumb rest is interesting, as I thought it was another pick up.
The bridge looks great, the clean look with no volume or tone knobs is a bit different but pleasing, as it doesn’t conform to tradition and has it’s own identity.
A great job for a first timer with some interesting mods.
Loses points for no headstock logo.

Brendan
22-06-2021, 08:32 PM
Given we only have three entries and we had two winners last month - we're going with just the winner this month to spice things up... And the winner is
Jmax's ES-12Q -
With a finish that you could take a dive in - for someone on the other side of man flu (hopefully), the feel of summer and sitting by an azure sea is appealing!

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40405&d=1620029603

PJSprog
22-06-2021, 09:27 PM
Fantastic looking guitar, jmax. Congrats.

Wayne.Mumford
23-06-2021, 08:21 AM
Well done Jmax.

ozzbike
23-06-2021, 03:50 PM
That is a great quilted top. Nice work.

project_chris
23-06-2021, 04:19 PM
Congratulations to jmax, really well done on the W.

jmax
23-06-2021, 04:38 PM
Thanks! I'm pretty chuffed to get chosen - the entries were all really impressive.

I really lucked out with this quilted top - nicely book matched and no real problem with glue soaking through.

After a number of tweaks over the past month and a half, this has turned into a really well playing guitar. And I'm having to learn a whole new style of playing - 12 strings are very unforgiving of sloppy playing!

project_chris
23-06-2021, 05:01 PM
If 7 took me a while to get used to I can only imagine what 12 feels like!

Also, shout out to Brendan for the comments on my guitar, I appreciate the kind words.

I'll just have to buy another kit soon and enter again :p

blinddrew
24-06-2021, 07:00 PM
Good work everyone, and congratulations Jmax!

dave.king1
25-06-2021, 10:42 AM
Given we only have three entries and we had two winners last month - we're going with just the winner this month to spice things up... And the winner is
Jmax's ES-12Q -
With a finish that you could take a dive in - for someone on the other side of man flu (hopefully), the feel of summer and sitting by an azure sea is appealing!

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40405&d=1620029603

That is simply stunning, a worthy winner well done