PDA

View Full Version : Bridge upgrade

Groovyman32
11-03-2021, 04:59 PM
Hi all,

I'm currently working my way through the TL-1HA build and I'm considering upgrading the kit bridge to a Gotoh GTC-102 (https://g-gotoh.com/product/gtc102/?lang=en).

It looks like a drop in replacement - will I notice the difference?

FrankenWashie
11-03-2021, 05:25 PM
Hi all,

I'm currently working my way through the TL-1HA build and I'm considering upgrading the kit bridge to a Gotoh GTC-102 (https://g-gotoh.com/product/gtc102/?lang=en).

It looks like a drop in replacement - will I notice the difference?

You might want to do some very careful measuring up, just in case. I've found that if it looks like a drop in, then there's going to be a small or a major hiccup in something. Very occasionally it all works as it should.

The Gotoh will be a noticeable step up in finish quality, feel and the utility of the thing (adjustment screws working easily, saddle height adjustment precise etc. they are a noticeably better quality part.

Groovyman32
11-03-2021, 05:26 PM
Cool - thanks - I'll measure up

McCreed
11-03-2021, 06:15 PM
You might want to do some very careful measuring up, just in case. I've found that if it looks like a drop in, then there's going to be a small or a major hiccup in something. Very occasionally it all works as it should.

What Frankie said! Especially the "Very occasionally it all works as it should." part!!! :p

I also agree with the quality assessment. As to whether you'll notice a difference in tone or sustain... that's the million dollar debate.

There are so many variables in what generates electric guitar tone, from the player to the amp (and in between) it's near impossible to say definitively one way or the other.
I stopped commenting (well almost :o) about tone woods, steel block vs zinc block yadda, yadda, yadda...
I reckon it's more about individual perception and if that perception makes us feel good, and that good feeling makes us play better... then it's a good thing!

I have always contended that if I handed Jeff Beck one of my cheap over-capitalised strats, he would make it sound just fine. (like Jeff Beck)

Sorry, too much caffeine to day I think....

FrankenWashie
11-03-2021, 06:23 PM
What Frankie said! Especially the "Very occasionally it all works as it should." part!!!

I have always contended that if I handed Jeff Beck one of my cheap over-capitalised strats, he would make it sound just fine. (like Jeff Beck)

Sorry, too much caffeine to day I think....
I reckon you could hand Jeff beck a tennis racket and he’d make it sing. That man is a guitar god.

Groovyman32
11-03-2021, 07:06 PM
Totally understand - I agree most of "the sound" is the player.

My first ever guitar is a '94 squier fibre board strat. It lived in the cupboard for 15+ years. I recently dug it out and it sounds so better then I remember (about 15 years better in fact). So now I play it just as much as the others.

I think the saddle material may have an impact on the brightness - brass v.s. steel? I'm not sure what the kit bridge is made of - but I'm not after super bright country twang.

Perhaps having branded parts will give me a better chance of setting it up correctly. Also, I opted for the gotoh lockers so my OCD wants matching gotoh at the end other end.

McCreed
12-03-2021, 05:19 AM
My first ever guitar is a '94 squier fibre board strat. It lived in the cupboard for 15+ years. I recently dug it out and it sounds so better then I remember (about 15 years better in fact).

LOL!!!

Also, I opted for the gotoh lockers so my OCD wants matching gotoh at the end other end.

Yes, feeding the beast... I get that!

FrankenWashie
12-03-2021, 06:39 AM
Also, I opted for the gotoh lockers so my OCD wants matching gotoh at the end other end.

I get that OCD Twitch with my TLA-TH, it has Gotoh Machine heads and a Schaller Hannes 6 bridge. Not sure i can afford the schaller machine heads i want though!