PDA

View Full Version : First gig with my new band tonight

Sonic Mountain
15-01-2021, 12:26 PM
Slightly nervous as I've never had the front man role, but should be fun. Will be playing the Shoegazer and we are supporting another local band who have been doing really well lately 'Sweetlipp'

Wish me luck.

https://www.facebook.com/events/719007942381000/?acontext=%7B%22source%22%3A%2229%22%2C%22ref_noti f_type%22%3A%22event_aggregate%22%2C%22action_hist ory%22%3A%22null%22%7D&notif_id=1610657026177949&notif_t=event_aggregate&ref=notif

And my bands pretty empty page... hopefully we'll get some content tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Fandangled-108722327556540

king casey
15-01-2021, 12:44 PM
I like the instrumental stuff.
Remember the Cruel Sea before bung-hole Perkins joined and hi-jacked it.

cheers, Mark.

DarkMark
15-01-2021, 07:25 PM
Good luck tonight.
Post some footage it you get any.

Marcel
15-01-2021, 10:20 PM
Yeah, hope you break a leg.... ;)

fender3x
16-01-2021, 12:37 AM
BTS vid has a great Greatful Dead vibe to it. Looking forward to pics of vid that you get ;-) Hope you had fun!

Rabbitz
16-01-2021, 03:06 AM
So?

How'd it go?

dave.king1
16-01-2021, 04:22 AM
BTS vid has a great Greatful Dead vibe to it. Looking forward to pics of vid that you get ;-) Hope you had fun!

I'm hearing New Riders Of The Purple Sage a bit more than The Dead, but then again the two bands were almost brothers

Nice track snippet Sonic

dave.king1
16-01-2021, 04:24 AM
I like the instrumental stuff.
Remember the Cruel Sea before bung-hole Perkins joined and hi-jacked it.

cheers, Mark.

https://youtu.be/IAEcWLYrDuc

Sonic Mountain
16-01-2021, 04:33 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the supportive words. We had a blast, completely packed the venue out and had a great response. Once I’ve recovered I’ll sort through the many, many videos and photos I’ve been sent I’ll post some of the better ones. The project is hard to describe, basically 4 very different song writing approaches smooshed together. It results in what we are calling alterno-punk show tunes.

Sonic Mountain
16-01-2021, 06:55 AM
Here's a couple of quick clips and pics. There are more still coming in so if there are any really good ones I'll pop them up.

https://youtu.be/pjz7uSkF48M

https://i.imgur.com/ZlD8CH7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AGymf5u.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jBc42yu.jpg

Sonic Mountain
16-01-2021, 06:57 AM
https://youtu.be/5z2Tcfd-R04

dozymuppet
16-01-2021, 02:41 PM
I dig it. I really need to see some live music.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Sonic Mountain
16-01-2021, 03:39 PM
We are so lucky to be able to do this.

dozymuppet
16-01-2021, 03:48 PM
Looked like there were a few people in the crowd who hadn't seen each other for a while :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Sonic Mountain
24-02-2021, 08:31 AM
Second gig on the weekend and a big leap for us as we had to provide all the sound etc. Wasn't a huge crowd but we had a blast, and got another gig out of it.

Just got a big dump of videos to go through, I'll see if there is a decent complete song there and share it as well, but here is a quick sound test jam.

https://youtu.be/exTb2gFNla0

Sonic Mountain
24-02-2021, 08:37 AM
This ones not too bad except the vox are a little quiet.... and I completely forgot to do the second chorus lol. First time we've tried to play it live so thats my excuse.

https://youtu.be/0Sf_Gl_SKkw

king casey
24-02-2021, 10:24 AM
Didn't seem that bad.

the vox are a little quiet

No, the drummer has no sense of dynamics and was cheerfully drowning everyone else out.

Cheers, Mark.

dave.king1
24-02-2021, 11:33 AM
Didn't seem that bad.

No, the drummer has no sense of dynamics and was cheerfully drowning everyone else out.

Cheers, Mark.

Thunder foot, I've met a few of those over the years, I do like the groove though

Long ago we had a bass player come along to have a listen to the band and he ultimately filled my spot when I left due to the workload.

Ronnie one of our singers asked Rob what he thought of our drummer, Rob said he sounded like he was building a chook shed.

The bass player was Rob Bailey the bass player with acca dacca before Mark Evans, a really decent human being and a damn fine player

Sonic Mountain
24-02-2021, 12:49 PM
Well we're having fun. I'll let you guys get back to your 12 bar blues.

king casey
24-02-2021, 01:33 PM
Thunder foot, I've met a few of those over the years

A 'few'? yer lucky.

Every rehearsal complex I've walked into features several hammering away simultaneously.
I've only encountered 2 individuals who I would consider professional drummers.

It means everybody else has to crank up the volume just to be heard.

cheers, Mark.

FrankenWashie
24-02-2021, 01:34 PM
I'd be happy to be able to sing....or play guitar...you can do both at the same time! I can't drink and walk at the same time.
Great Job!

wazkelly
24-02-2021, 06:23 PM
Didn't seem that bad.

Cheers, Mark.

I think this might fix it......at least they come with a volume control.....

Sonic Mountain
25-02-2021, 04:38 AM
Well he's been a huge asset to us and we are happy with his playing. We've had a great reaction every time we have played so far, which has been nice for a band which is purely about creating original music for fun.

There are plenty of people on this site who post their own music and by and large it is boring, unoriginal, over produced, old man, clap trap. You know what I do when I happen to click on it and listen to their dreary re-interpretations of chord structures and scales that have been done to death?

I resist the urge to criticise and move on without commenting.

It's been a long time since I've managed to find a group of people who are willing to experiment and work on something other than covers. Not only that, they all turn up to rehearsals and are lovely people to boot. We aren't going to set the world on fire and we'll be happy to gig locally until we inevitably run out of steam.

It's never going to be for everyone, but that's ok, the world would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things. The primary directive is to have fun. And we will continue to do that, loud drummer and all.

I'll resist sharing in future.

dave.king1
25-02-2021, 04:47 AM
Well we're having fun. I'll let you guys get back to your 12 bar blues.

And that folks is exactly what it's about, musos enjoying themselves and getting joy back from the punters on the floor.

As artists we don't choose music, it chooses us

FrankenWashie
25-02-2021, 05:46 AM
Well he's been a huge asset to us and we are happy with his playing. We've had a great reaction every time we have played so far, which has been nice for a band which is purely about creating original music for fun.

There are plenty of people on this site who post their own music and by and large it is boring, unoriginal, over produced, old man, clap trap. You know what I do when I happen to click on it and listen to their dreary re-interpretations of chord structures and scales that have been done to death?

I resist the urge to criticise and move on without commenting.

It's been a long time since I've managed to find a group of people who are willing to experiment and work on something other than covers. Not only that, they all turn up to rehearsals and are lovely people to boot. We aren't going to set the world on fire and we'll be happy to gig locally until we inevitably run out of steam.

It's never going to be for everyone, but that's ok, the world would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things. The primary directive is to have fun. And we will continue to do that, loud drummer and all.

I'll resist sharing in future.

It’d be boring if well all liked the same thing and nothing changed. Keep doing what you do SM. Keep sharing, keep doing it your way.
different ideas collide and mix and make new ideas.
I find huge inspiration in what you and many others on this site share, It gives me the drive to do the silly things I do and share them with the forum.

Sonic Mountain
25-02-2021, 05:52 AM
Thanks Frankie, I'm not having a cry about it. It is the internet after all.

But this little corner does differ from the rest of the internet in that there is an unspoken rule that if you don't have anything nice to say, you don't say anything.

There are also polite ways of framing constructive and helpful criticism. Certain members at times struggle with their tone and there is one in particular here that I try and be accommodating to, but who in real life would probably find a pretty adverse reaction to some of their posts/opinions, if indeed they had the courage to say such things to a persons face. Which I doubt.

That has rubbed me the wrong way a bit here, where I was sharing mostly for fun and because I'm excited to be playing live again after a long break.

No comments would have been fine and conveyed the same message.

king casey
25-02-2021, 08:56 AM
Eh?

Thanks Frankie, I'm not having a cry about it

And then followed with

I resist the urge to criticise and move on without commenting

Somebody requires a digestive biscuit and a bit of a lie down.

cheers, Mark.

fender3x
25-02-2021, 11:35 AM
Playing with folks you like is great. Doing so front of an audience that enjoyed it is awesome. I hope you'll keep posting. There is something really fun about listening music recorded live. I also really like seeing and hearing instruments that have appeared here.

Sonic Mountain
25-02-2021, 12:05 PM
Struck a chord with you did I Mark?

Cheers fender3x. I don't have a lot to share at the moment anyway so was just trying to stay in touch.

king casey
25-02-2021, 01:14 PM
Struck a chord with you did I Mark?

Sorry I didn't realise I was in the thread of an exciting original musical pioneer.

cheers, Mark.

P.S. some of the other 'old men' around here may not be so deferential.

fender3x
26-02-2021, 06:09 AM
P.S. some of the other 'old men' around here may not be so deferential.

You might be surprised. I am old. I play 12 bar blues. I try to be deferential. I have had 4 teenagers. Believe me, I can live with the fact that what I like is not everyone's cup of meat. I don't need my deference to anyone else's taste to be reciprocated (referencing, once again, the teenagers). I am pretty sure that deference is a part of how I got old.

wazkelly
26-02-2021, 02:05 PM
Hi Sonic, totally agree with positive energy only or no comment at all.
The electronic drums pic was just for laughs and hope no offence was taken and apologize if there was.
Cheers Waz

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

fender3x
27-02-2021, 01:41 AM
* 4 teenagers does not put you in the old category. 4 grandchildren are more likely to do that but old is really just a state of mind.

I didn't say they were still teenagers... The oldest is now 30. They were at their most unfiltered critical at that age. I am pretty sure that living through their teenage years is also part of what made me old.

Funny that you say it's a state of mind... One reason for building instruments for me has been to get them lighter. For me it's not just a state of mind, but also a state of back ;-)

I agree with 100% of the rest of the post, BTW

fender3x
27-02-2021, 03:39 AM
Hi Sonic, totally agree with positive energy only or no comment at all.
The electronic drums pic was just for laughs and hope no offence was taken and apologize if there was.

I did not see this as a critique of the drummer. Also, Colin nailed it about the recording. Drummers are often the only member of the band who doesn't have a volume control. Nothing very unusual about other's adjusting to his/her volume. I just bought a better amp to be able to keep up with my son. I used to play with a buddy who had one of those electronic kits because he could not play in his apartment on a regular kit. One thing I learned from him is that he may turn it down at his house, but at the gig he can also turn it up ;-)

McCreed
27-02-2021, 06:08 AM
FWIW, I thought the "I'll let you guys get back to your 12 bar blues." comment was pretty snarky.

I think diminishing someone else's music with your 12 bar blues comment is exactly what you were railing against after taking offense to another's criticism.

How many great pop, rock, country songs follow a I - IV - V format??? They may not all be 12 bars or straight up blues, but that progression is a template that is the DNA of western popular music. Any of your songs ever fit that progression?

I have written, recorded and performed my own music for many years, and yes, it is definitely rooted in blues, but goes on from there. It's about how it's played, what it says, and less about the number of bars.

And believe me, not everyone can play blues. It ain't just notes.

fender3x
28-02-2021, 02:10 AM
FWIW, I thought the "I'll let you guys get back to your 12 bar blues." comment was pretty snarky.

I don't disagree. But the blues has survived racism, appropriation and segregation. It'll survive a little snarkiness. Just grist for the mill.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

DrNomis_44
29-04-2021, 07:57 PM
Cheers for posting the videos and pics, I just checked-out a couple of them, I always enjoy checking-out new local live bands, I liked the performances, I'm seriously thinking of moving to Shark Bay where my mum lives, while I was looking after her while she recovered from her operation, she and I were talking about a lot of music-related stuff I could do after the move, she mentioned to me that she's a bit of a Rolling Stones fan, and said that it would be cool if I learnt how to play the song, Brown Sugar, cause lots of people would like it, so, that got me thinking, maybe I could see if I could get a live band together and do some live gigs in Shark Bay, would be cool, my mum also mentioned that there are a few people who would love to learn how to play the guitar, I thought those were some pretty cool ideas, we'll see how it pans-out.