PDA

View Full Version : wire glues (conductive glues) for replacing guitar wiring and soldering?

yejunjung
23-12-2020, 03:40 AM

Found this "wire glue" for alternative for soldering.

it is a electricity conductive glue for some light purposes.

It works for "low voltage" connections, and I'm assuming guitar wiring is considered as a low vlotage connections, since guitar pickups generate an average of 100~300 milivolts where "low voltage" is considered as anything lower than 50 volts.

I only have to attach the wires to the output jack, so my plan is...

1. Wrap the wire around the output jack connector as tight as I can, as firm as I can (or any place where I have to make a wire connection)

2. Apply the wire glue, and wait for it to compltely dry.

3. Apply a gorilla super glue for tighter attachment, so it does not fall apart at any case.

some say the wire glue does work for guitar wiring, and some are doubting it. Have any of you guys done it?

fender3x
23-12-2020, 06:22 AM
I haven't used this stuff, but guitars are definitely low voltage so from that standpoint it would probably be OK. However, I have heard that most of cheap glues are carbon based, and could add resistance to the circuit. So I would be afraid that it might change the sound a little. Also, I have heard that some are quite viscous so you would need to be very careful that it does not run somewhere that you don't want it. I have no idea how long it lasts, but some glues break down over time, whereas solder connections are virtually forever. I think I'd be inclined to stick with solder.

What it might be good for is to use as shielding as an alternative to copper or aluminum tape. Again, judging by what I have read, wire glue sounds similar to shielding paint in composition. I haven't used that either, but a lot of high end mfgs shield with it.

Sonic Mountain
23-12-2020, 07:09 AM
For around $15-$20 you could get a suitable soldering iron?

JimC
23-12-2020, 06:25 PM
What would concern me is the quality of the joint. Guitar electronics is indeed low voltage and low current, but the result is that it doesn't take much to block it. With a power connection a little bit of extra resistance is probably neither here nor there. With signal level it's maybe a bit different.

Simon Barden
23-12-2020, 06:50 PM
As long as it's not too high, saw a few ohms, then it won't make much difference.

Let's say the output signal is 0.3v/300mV. That's running into a typical guitar amp input impedance of 1meg ohms.

So from Ohm's law the current generated is 0.3 V/1,000,000 ohms = 0.0000003A

If the joint had a 10 ohm resistance (and it's more likely to be more like 2 ohms), and being two joints which would give 20 ohms total resistance, then the volt drop across that would be 0.0000003A x 20 ohms = 0.000006 V. Which would be a signal drop of just 0.002%, so nothing to be concerned about in itself. However, from a guitar grounding point of view, the lower the resistance to ground the better, so you are more likely to pick up a bit more noise from the guitar as a result.