PDA

View Full Version : Gator Cases ABS molded case

fender3x
17-12-2020, 08:15 AM
I just got a Gator Case GC-ELECTRIC-A (https://www.gatorcases.com/products/guitar/molded-guitar-cases/gc-guitar/electric-guitar-case-gc-electric-a/) case for my strat project.

I didn't really give too much thought to cases until I started to build guitars. After so many hours building, I just felt like having a bit more protection than the light gig-bags I have used for the last few years.

As I was thinking I watched this video, which added some urgency to my quest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNvjTZ-VqcU&t=451s

I bought the Gator Case for $45 from someone who had bought it for a project guitar, and then never took the case or guitar out of the house. You can get a cheap ABS case for about $70 here. The Gator Case runs about $130. Is it worth the difference? I am not sure. I can say that the ABS plastic is FAR more rigid than my Road Runner bass case (https://roadrunnercases.com/rrmba17-acoustic-bass-guitar-case/). The Road Runner case flexes a bit more than I would like over the body. It's only real virtue over other ABS cases I have seen is that it's big enough for my weirdly shapped bass to fit in. The Gator Case does not really flex, and I suspect you'd need to hit it pretty hard for their to be damage inside. Considerably better than the Road Runner.

The case is advertised as fitting Strats and Teles. It fits a Strat body quite well. It's a fairly fat case because the EPS foam in it is fairly thick. The body pocket is rectangular, and the strap button almost touches the top of the rectangle with the butt fit snuggly against the bottom. The guitar can't move along the long axis more than about a 1/4", which is pretty good since it means that no matter how it is shaken, the top of the headstock can't touch the end of the case. The neck is well supported for almost its entire length--although I suspect that is true for most ABS cases. In pictures the innards all look about the same.

A Tele would slide around in this case and need some extra padding to keep the headstock from banging into the top of the case when slammed about. Although this is better with a Strat, I am considering adding some padding so that it is more than just the strap button on the upper horn that keeps the guitar from sliding around.

The primary virtue of the Gator Case seems to be the relatively thick/stiff ABS shell and EPS foam, while also being reasonably light (about 8 and 3/4 lbs.--or about 4 kg). The hardware and valances seem to be identical to the Road Runner...and probably every other ABS case out there. It seems pretty good for most uses unless you are flying. Is it worth $50 more than a cheap ABS case? I don't know.

For $130, you could spend an additional $30 and get an cheap ATA case. That would be more protection, but would add around 3lbs--mostly due to the poly propylene shell, I think. The Gator Cases cheap ATA case says the polypropylene is "military grade." I think my milk jug is also military grade PP. If you are flying it's probably worth it, but for normal usage it would be hard to break the ABS. My 1960's vintage ABS trombone case has withstood lots of abuse...of course it's thicker than either of the ABS shells in my guitar cases of more recent vintage.

I am curious what folks use to protect their guitars, and hope you'll chime in.

I have an old Black tolex covered Fender case for a bass which I thought was almost as cool as the bass that came in it when I was 18. Orange fur and the big Fender logo. Now, though, it seems like more of a collector's item than serious protection. I mostly have cheap-to-very-cheap gig bags for my other guitars and basses. The best economy gig bag I have is also a Gator Case. Their economy bags are as good as any cheap gig bags I have seen. But they are still cheap bags and the protection is just a bit better than the REALLY cheap ones.

Most gig bags that I have seen provide somewhere between no protection and minimal protection. The ones that seem closest to decent are the Monos (and maybe some others?) that are not really "bags" because they have ABS plates in them to stiffen them up. Next closest thing would be the "hybrid" cases, which are not really cases because they are just a EPS foam shell covered in fabric. I like both of these pretty well, but my banker/wife thinks they are too pricey.

Will be curious what others think!

McCreed
17-12-2020, 10:46 AM
I'll play...

Seven of my electrics are in SKB cases (ABS); five are in plywood/vinyl (tolex). Two of the plywood cases are for LP shape guitars, and one is my Cort acoustic which is a "fitted" case for that model.

king casey
17-12-2020, 10:51 AM
Guitars = 6
Cases = 0

Probably stay that way until I get the courage to perform with one out of the house.

cheers, Mark.

fender3x
17-12-2020, 10:52 AM
Do you see much difference in the protection between the plywood and plastic cases?

JimC
17-12-2020, 02:17 PM
Which plywood via which plastic... The Tokai case my beloved Jazz came in, which is very much a Fender copy is something like 2.5mm plywood. A full on flight case might be 12mm. There's a hierarchy in cases really which ranges from "protect from scratches, I only ever handle it and gets its own car seat" through "travels in my car with the amp but carefully loaded by me" right through to "safe to be handled by minimum wage baggage handlers out of sight". Once you start getting into rigid materials I reckon there's so much variation it's hard to say one material is intrinsically better than another.

Simon Barden
17-12-2020, 04:39 PM
Almost half of my cases are Gator ABS cases, or badged equivalents. Gator traditionally used a generic Chinese-made OEM case which I've seen sold under several other names with a different label on it. However they may now have branched out into more bespoke products as they also do ATA clasp cases, though I'm not sure if they are any more rugged. And they also do slightly longer than normal cases, which i haven't seen elsewhere, so they may now be a big enough company to have their own exclusive cases made.

A lot of the rest of my cases are now Thomann ABS cases. Very similar to the Gator cases but cheaper. The rest are either the stock Gibson case or Hiscox liteflight cases, one TKL ABS case for a bass (very like a Gator), and one old-style thick cardboard case for the Flying V as a decent shaped ABS case was far too expensive.

None of my guitars are going flying. If they do travel it's in the back of the car being packed and unpacked by myself.

I've certainly made a few adjustments to the inside of cases to get the guitars to fit snugly. Mainly in terms of the neck supports so the neck is supported along its length and the headstock isn't touching the floor of the case.

McCreed
18-12-2020, 05:16 AM
Do you see much difference in the protection between the plywood and plastic cases?

Like JimC is saying, for my purposes, they both do the job. My preference are the ABS though. In part because the SKB ones I buy have a smaller profile (length & depth) than the Gator's I used to own, and fit in my car better (I take 3 at a time). that said, I'd be confident using them if I was touring again as long as it was just "road touring" and only being handled by me or band members. I would definitely be dubious letting luggage gorillas have at them.

My plywood ones are pretty much budget line but more than fine for me. One thing with ABS vs plywood/vinyl is ABS just scratches, whereas vinyl can tear. I suppose ripped vinyl just adds more to the road-worn look though.
Protection-wise, I would say they are equal, and like Simon (and that Tone King guy) I have customised the padding in some to accommodate certain guitars.

fender3x
18-12-2020, 07:36 AM
I don't envision playing anywhere I can't drive, except when someone asks me to do something a song at an event, and that's always been acoustic.

The last time I was playing out I actually started using a gig bag. Not hearing much love for gig bags here tho. The ABS cases seem a better solution for local.

The problem comes when I fly. Usually when I fly I leave the guitars at home, but sometimes I get asked by old friends or family to play something at an event...or I know I am going to have time in a hotel room with nothing much else to do. I do not have a good solution for this. Gig bags can be carried onto the plane...most of the time. Every once in a while they get gate checked. Except when flying with BA. I have talked my way on board so far, but they always tell me their policy is to check the guitar. Any hard case big enough for a bass or an acoustic would have to be checked, and the ABS or plywood cases would only survive that with luck.

That's the problem when you live down at the end of a long peninsula in a big country. My wife's family lives closest--and they are 1500 miles away in South America. I have kids who live in Germany, 5000 miles away. My family in the continental US live 3000 miles away. So if anyone asks me to come play, I 'm flying. What I would really like to find is something like the Mono M80 bags that incorporate ABS panels. These would have a fighting chance if gate-checked, but would mostly make it on the plane. You could buy a decent flight case for what they cost.

Simon Barden
18-12-2020, 04:00 PM
Sounds like you need to buy some cheap but playable guitars to keep at your various family locations and only travel with a new set of strings.

fender3x
18-12-2020, 08:29 PM
Sounds like you need to buy some cheap but playable guitars to keep at your various family locations and only travel with a new set of strings.I hadn't thought of it as an excuse to get more guitars. Great point!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

PJSprog
18-12-2020, 10:17 PM
Most of my cases are SKB. One is a custom soft case with hard foam under the outer shell which came with my 6-string bass. I also have a couple of thin gig bags that I never use, and a really nice and thick gig bag for my acoustic bass guitar.

The last case I bought was an ABS Gator that said it fits 335-style guitars. Turned out that wasn't entirely accurate. My Epiphone Dot Studio does indeed "fit" in it, but it definitely wasn't made for it. The section for the body is too deep, so with the top closed, the guitar is held in place only by the neck, with no support behind the body. I layed a rolled up t-shirt in there to fill the gap. It's a really nice case, it just doesn't fit my guitar.

fender3x
19-12-2020, 03:12 AM
Most of my cases are SKB. One is a custom soft case with hard foam under the outer shell which came with my 6-string bass.

That sounds like what some mfgs are calling a hybrid case. Do you like it? I like the weight, but most are fairly thick, and I have been concerned that a good whack on the neck would break it right in half.

The last case I bought was an ABS Gator that said it fits 335-style guitars. Turned out that wasn't entirely accurate. My Epiphone Dot Studio does indeed "fit" in it, but it definitely wasn't made for it. The section for the body is too deep, so with the top closed, the guitar is held in place only by the neck, with no support behind the body.

This is similar to the issue I had with the Road Runner case for my hybrid bass, which has a fender neck with a ES335 body. I had to use a fair amount of padding to get the body to fit right. The funny thing is that, once I did that, my Fender Coronado fits in it as well. Take the padding out, and my dreadnaught fits.

I am thinking about what to do with for my other basses. Back when ignorance was bliss, saw that my G&L ASAT, my Frankenjazz bass, and my '74 Fender Precision all fit rather nicely in my '74 Fender case. What I did not realize at the time is that (a) it doesn't protect the Pbass that came in it all that well, and it's now probably worth more than the basses I'd take out in it.

We live in an odd world where a post CBS bass case is worth more than a bass that plays, sounds and looks better than the bass that came in it.

Simon Barden
19-12-2020, 05:20 AM
My Gator 335 case fits my Hamer Echotone 335-style well IMO. Not supported all along the body, but the rear half is, and the neck sits well on the two supports and the headstock is kept well away from all the edges.

It's a big thick beast though. The Thomann hard card case I bought for my ES-1/330 fits a lot better all round and is a lot slimmer and lighter. However it would provide a bit less protection if it fell from a height or something heavy fell on it.

PJSprog
21-12-2020, 10:31 PM
That sounds like what some mfgs are calling a hybrid case. Do you like it? I like the weight, but most are fairly thick, and I have been concerned that a good whack on the neck would break it right in half.

No, not really. The bass is a custom 6-string, and it came with this case, made specifically for this bass. It's hard foam covered with a canvas outer cover. It was made wrong to begin with, as the handles were sewn on in the center, making the back droop when carried. I, too, have worried about traveling with it. It's only ever traveled with me locally in my vehicle. I kept telling myself that I should have a flight case made for it, but I never did, and that's harder to justify now that I no longer play live shows with it.

fender3x
23-12-2020, 10:12 PM
No, not really. The bass is a custom 6-string, and it came with this case, made specifically for this bass. It's hard foam covered with a canvas outer cover. It was made wrong to begin with, as the handles were sewn on in the center, making the back droop when carried. I, too, have worried about traveling with it. It's only ever traveled with me locally in my vehicle. I kept telling myself that I should have a flight case made for it, but I never did, and that's harder to justify now that I no longer play live shows with it.

Not a ringing endorsement, although I see why you have not purchased a new one.

https://roadrunnercases.com/road-runner-rr5eg-premium-electric-guitar-gig-bag/

I have occasionally considered something like this, which would fit 4 of the basses I have... Better than any gig-bag I have had in my hands, and lighter than a case, but the guitar can still move around lenght-wise. It says it has "corrugated boards front and back which might strengthen it...but of course "corrugated boards" is not very descriptive. Could mean cardboard.

fender3x
01-11-2021, 11:34 PM
I recently saw this at a Sam Ash store...

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/10322752618200666605?lsf=seller:43845,store:155095 69827184532324,s:h&prds=oid:4765317517182971938&q=guitar+research+bass+case&hl=en&ei=fgaAYb-EKuG2qtsP49-JmAk

The straps and handle looked pretty so-so, but the interior is nice. Easily fits a p- or j-bass. Looks like it would fit four of my basses actually--one at a time, of course ;-)

I have only ever seen "Guitar Research" stuff at Sam Ash, so I am guessing it's a house-brand-generic. The closest I have seen to something similar is this:

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-Foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87

Essentially the same price. Interiors look pretty much identical. I haven't seen the Gear4music case IRL so I can't be sure.

The G4M case looks like it may have a better handle and finish. The GR case has more external pockets. Not really a fair comparison, tho since I have actually touched just one of them.

Anyone have experience with either of these or similar? I can't get the G4M case anywhere I can find. The Guitar Research bag is just up the street from me. The hard foam cases are light, but look like they'd offer decent protection without being too bulky. Curious if anyone has tried one of these, aside from PJSprog's not-s0-good experience?