PDA

View Full Version : January 2021 GOTM

Brendan
15-12-2020, 10:01 PM
January Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in December) - be the first to win the comp for 2021!

Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars January Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished on (or before) the end of December.

One guitar/bass per member per month.
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable).
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable.

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to brendan (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning guitars around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

Competition for January closes at the end of December (Perth Western Australian time).

The sorts of things we judge on include:
· How well have the body and neck been prepared
· Is the choice of finish for the style of guitar appropriate
· How well has the finish been applied
· How well has all the hardware, pickups, etc, been installed
· Does it have the 'Wow Factor'· Which guitar would you make a beeline for in a guitar shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

BTW - remember that the winner is invited to be a guest judge the following month!

Brendan
08-01-2021, 12:15 PM
Given no entries from Dec - will run this through to the end of January...

HereIsJT
13-01-2021, 12:41 PM
W00t - first in!

So I put together a little ST-1JR for my kids to mess around on. I assembled it on xmas eve, due to a late request from Mr 6 to Santa Claus for a rock 'n' roll guitar for Christmas, but followed up post New Years with a bit of work on the nut to make it playable.

The kids are so far loving the chance to pick it up, so it's turned over to them now... Here's the pics and specs:

- Custom order hardtail ST-1JR 3/4 scale
- Custom order maple finger board
- Set up as string-through
- Hardtail bridge
- Standard kit nut, strings and tuners (likely to get an upgrade down the track)
- 3 part pearl finish
- Finish in acrylic - SCA filler/primer, Dupli-color Deep Aqua undercoat, ColorSpec custom Blu Cepheus pearl (from Lamborghini) and ColorSpec Gloss clear
- Gibson square output jack cover
- Ferrule neck bolts
- Lightning headstock (as ordered by the young customers in the house - this was masked off for the headstock face and filled with pearl)
- Neck finished with Satin spray on poly (Cabots from memory)
- Fingerboard finished with Nomad F-one oil

Front:

Back:

Finish:

It's hard to get a good shot of the pearl on camera, but here's a go

Headstock:

Sonic Mountain
13-01-2021, 04:23 PM
What a lovely little guitar. Well done.

dozymuppet
13-01-2021, 05:11 PM
Outstanding headstock design

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

HereIsJT
13-01-2021, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the great feedback Sonic and Dozy

ozzbike
18-01-2021, 05:03 PM
Wow how nice is that. Great tweaks and wonderful execution with attention to detail. That looks amazing.

grahamjohnston80
18-01-2021, 05:11 PM
That is one nice looking guitar. I hope it sounds as good as it looks!!

OliSam
19-01-2021, 12:37 PM
Outstanding headstock design

my thoughts exactly. original and really cool!!

HereIsJT
19-01-2021, 12:52 PM
It sounds great, the string-through gives it awesome sustain and the versatility of the humbucker and single coil combo is pretty cool. My boy was all about having lightning on it, so the carve off the neck and angle back is modelled off my Squier strat then we cut the bolts in. Link in my signature has some of his artwork suggestions :)

Rodc
20-01-2021, 04:18 AM
This is a ES1-GT kit I ordered for my son for xmas. It had a couple of problems with it out of the box so I decided to start building it early December after I sorted out a couple of problems. The intentions were to build it after xmas but once I start on a kit I can't stop.
My son wanted a faded denim stain so we set about trying different artist oil paint combos and came up with this colour. The back, sides and neck were done with artist oil paints too. All finished with 20 coats of Tru Oil. I did the surrounds and centre of the headstock in gold leaf. Also the pickup surrounds and trust rod cover. Not real gold luckily! The amount of stuff ups I made it would have cost a small fortune.
I fitted Grover tuners, Gotoh bridge and Realtone PAF pickups. Action is 1.5 on the low E and 1.2mm on the high E. I put in 2 push pull volume pots for coil splitting. It plays great and sounds awesome.
The young bloke is very happy with it..

PJSprog
20-01-2021, 10:37 PM
Nice! Both look great.

Fretworn
24-01-2021, 11:16 AM
I’ll make up the numbers....

GTH-1
Tonerider AlnicoII neck
Tonerider AlnicoIV bridge

Yellow stain from GuitarAust
TruOil top coat and neck coat
The photos don’t do the colour justice. It’s a deeper almost gold colour in real life.

rod_farmer
24-01-2021, 12:29 PM
Beautiful guys. Absolutely timely as I’m about to do my first ever build - the ST 3/4 for my son. We wanted to do the Fender Surf Green Peal, so I couldn’t believe my luck in seeing this.

Thanks for the overview in products, too.

JamesRoy
25-01-2021, 11:22 AM
Fantastic choice of colour, and great finish, JT.

Brendan
31-01-2021, 11:13 PM
Couple here from Richard Arnold:

This is my ES 1Q just finished.
Its finished with dingo tone coolangata gold with a Jarrah tint over that. Grover locking machine heads and Artist pickups. It plays as good as it looks and I'm very happy with it.
Oh and about 10 coats of tru oil.

Brendan
31-01-2021, 11:15 PM
And some from Vichammer

My first build using the zebra wood kit. Using custom automotive paint with a mini jet. A real heavy weight weighing in at 10.5 lbs.

Brendan
31-01-2021, 11:17 PM
And some more photos:

Brendan
07-02-2021, 10:57 PM
Comp closed.

Brendan
18-02-2021, 09:22 PM
So to the comments - first off a great thanks to those who judge month in / month out - you know who you are. This is a great comp for amateur builders and to get the range of comments takes time and we appreciate all the feedback we get.

HereIsJT's ST-1JR -
So much to love here – headstock has come out beautifully. Colour and spray are awesome. Overall effect looks awesome. Hope that it is getting hammered!
This is a gorgeous little beast, with the headstock a spectacular stand-out. Great finish and the maple works so well with the blue. Nice choices and upgrades, it's a really fantastic looking build. Lucky kids.
Beautiful clean lines and aesthetics. It is very difficult to achieve a professional-looking finish like this at home. Very well set up and just asking to be played. Any child would be lucky to have this guitar. Well done!
Very nicely put together junior guitar, great finish, inventive head stock and fantastic attention to detail. A very cohesive build. My only gripe, and it’s a minor one, is that the gap between the pickguard and the bridge isn’t even all the way around.

Rodc's ES1-GT -
Everything from the photography through to the colour choices for the finish have been done well. Nice little addition on the electronics and overall effect is fantastic. Great job.
A striking looking guitar. I love the faded denim and I love the brown and gold. Less so all together, but only slightly. Clearly a lot of effort with the gold touches and upgrades. Nice result.
This is clearly a labour of love. Beautiful paint/stain job which is very even and without noticeable glue stains - this can often be difficult to achieve on kit guitars. I appreciate the lovely clean binding, including the f-hole bindings. Gold leaf gilding takes it up a level. I prefer low string action so extra brownie points there. I would instantly gravitate towards this guitar in a shop. Excellent work, thanks for making my day!
Another really cohesive build where the finish, colour choice, hardware and assembly all complement each other nicely. Great head stock treatment, alludes to the brand that shall not be named without actually trying to be a copy. A very solid effort.

Fretworn's GTH-1 -
More than making up the numbers Fretworn – I love the elegant simplicity of black on golden yellow. New pickguard with a few little unexpected curves really makes this yours and I like the overall effect. Great work.
I look at this and I think 'workhorse'. Eat, sleep, play, repeat and it's always ready to go. Great colour and I love the smooth lines of the headstock. Black hardware compliments it nicely. Excellent.
Beautiful finish highlighting the natural grain of the wood. Set up looks immaculate. Would love to play this in a shop. Wonderful execution.
A clean build with appropriate upgrades, I’d expect nothing less from one of the forums consistent contributors. Lucked out with the grain and the finishing serves to highlight it really well. This is a great build, but perhaps missing some of the ‘wow’ factor that would draw me to it in a music store.

Richard Arnold's ES-1Q -
Love the colour and the overall effect of the quilting. May need a few more photos (closer up) to give a better overall effect and higher scoring, but great work otherwise.
The colour and finish combinations have really produced a rolling fire to the flame top. Really nice looking build, it's a shame there aren't more photos.
This may be the best quilt maple top finish I have seen on a kit guitar! The top really pops - something I always find difficult with veneers as they limit the amount of sanding. Nice clean binding lines. Set up looks flawless. This belongs in a catalogue! Marvellous.
Wow, get a load of that quilt! This looks to be a pretty well realised build, but there aren’t really enough photos to get a good look at the detail, which often makes or breaks a build for me. It does look pretty spectacular in these images, so definitely a good effort.

Vichammer's DJZ-4 -
The month for blue guitars! Blue is nicely done and great work on the black which is notoriously difficult to get right. Great logo, just struggle personally with the headstock fitting in with the theme from the rest of the guitar.
I love the black and blue of the body in the first series of shots, it really works. But, in the second set it looks almost blue-grey and is less striking. Flash vs fluoro maybe? The headstock shape and colour is a bit overwhelming for me, and I think the black hardware on the maple may have been enough. It's still nicely done. Great result.
Excellent first effort at guitar building! Paint and finish look even and clean. Love the color scheme - simple yet enticing. Set up is impeccable. For your next kit consider shaping the headstock - not that is there anything wrong with the current one, but our eyes are conditioned to expect certain headstock shapes and when it doesn't conform it is jarring. Well done, I look forward to seeing more of your work!
Quite a striking looking guitar. I’m a bit confused as to why it’s a solid colour over zebra wood? I am guessing there were some finishing gremlins. That said the blue and black does look nice, particularly in the first set of images. There are a few things that don’t work for me personally, the headstock shape is a bit heavy and awkward and I’m not sure about the blending to wood on the back where it transitions to the neck. Interesting idea though and I do like it when people try something different. So, points for creativity but overall it doesn’t jibe quite as well as it could for me. A good effort .

Brendan
18-02-2021, 09:25 PM
So to the runner ups - we have a draw with Rodc and Fretworn both delivering amazing guitars:
Rodc
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38870&stc=1&d=1611090951

Fretworn
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38907&stc=1&d=1611462062

Brendan
18-02-2021, 09:27 PM
And the winner by a small margin - HereIsJT's ST-1JR -

HereIsJT's ST-1JR - great work and hope the kids are loving it!!
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38792&d=1610515951

Rodc
19-02-2021, 05:40 AM
So to the runner ups - we have a draw with Rodc and Fretworn both delivering amazing guitars:
Rodc
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38870&stc=1&d=1611090951

Fretworn
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38907&stc=1&d=1611462062

Thank you Brendan and to the other judges as well! I feel privileged to be selected for being drawn as runner up considering the high standard of guitars on show! Congratulations to HereIsJTs...well deserved!

dozymuppet
19-02-2021, 11:27 AM
Awesome work all round. I'd be happy with all those.

DarkMark
20-02-2021, 06:45 PM
Yeah, nice guitars. I particularly like HereIsJT’s lighting bolt headstock.

Eric67
21-02-2021, 01:50 AM
one close-up of the headstock.

Sonic Mountain
21-02-2021, 03:52 AM
All good, Brendan will fix it up.

Fretworn
21-02-2021, 11:09 AM
Congrats to everyone, especially HereisJT and RodC. Very worthy entries all round.

HereIsJT
23-02-2021, 09:50 AM
How good - thanks so much for all the positive feedback!! I've just been moving house and got distracted. I'm super happy with the vote of confidence and I can report that the kids are really getting into it.