PDA

View Full Version : Standard neck inlay depth/size?

Diggydude
25-10-2020, 08:14 AM
Hello,

I've messed up replacing the frets on the neck for an AG-1 kit. When I pulled the frets out loads of wood from around the slots came with it. If it had been covered by the frets, it would have been cool but unfortunately some broke wider than the frets.

Next issue was that when trying to slot the new frets in, the tang (I think that's the right word, the thinner bit that goes into the wood) was larger than the slots, so much bigger that it went in with more chipping. To make things worse, I then tried sawing the slots wider which I of course made too wide, allowing the frets to come out way too easily.

My first thought was to replace the entire fretboard. Large job, a bit pricey for me and more waiting for this build to be finished (it's already been too long...).
My current idea is to sand the fretboard down until the chips are gone but the slots are still there, even just slightly. This means that once I sand the chips out, I can just deepen the slots with my new, proper fretting saw (it has a depth guide so I'll know how deep to go).

I am thinking about doing the second idea, but I have some questions.

1) How deep are the pitbull inlays? I don't mind losing them to sanding, I would just like to know before I start.

2) Anyone played an electric with a flat fretboard? I'm think just sanding it flat with no radius. I play classical so I don't think it will feel that weird, I just want some other perspectives. This idea came from lack of a radiusing block/jig (although I could go and order one, I know) and a desire to do something different.

3) Are there any other concerns/traps I need to know about before doing this?

4) Any easier alternatives?

king casey
25-10-2020, 08:33 AM
I've pulled the frets and sanded a few necks now.
Mine have been sanded to a radius of 7.25" which sounds quite severe yet in reality isn't that much.
So if it were a mere 12" radius (which all the Pitbull necks are) the difference wouldn't be much different to completely flat.

cheers, Mark.

jonwhitear
25-10-2020, 10:11 AM
Your bridge will have a 12” radius as well, so a flat board will have high D and G strings.

Diggydude
25-10-2020, 11:55 AM
Damn I forgot about the bridge radius...

I guess a sanding block is my go to then.

Sidewinder
26-10-2020, 01:45 AM
Depending upon how bad the chipping is you could fill them with CA and sawdust. Get a small scrap of the same kind of wood from a local supplier and make some. Gently recut the slots and insert new frets. While I've never done this with frets I have done it with other types of chipout or small cracks on furniture.