PDA

View Full Version : .....and thankfully I was wearing earplugs......

Andy40
09-10-2020, 09:07 AM
Yesterday, I picked up a Tonemaster Twin for a price I literally could not refuse.

I didn't want a twin I wanted a deluxe reverb and I didn't want a Tonemaster, I wanted to build it myself. That all went out the window.

I could sell it tomorrow and make a tidy profit but after today....I'm not going to do that.

Got it to 106db. And that was on 6.5 vol at 85w. I reckon it could get to 110db which is getting into jumbo jet category.....but I got too scared I'd break something!

Man alive it sounded righteous.

It's comically huge, there's headroom for days, bedroom levels sound awesome and the reverb is just beautiful.

I'm not going to sell it. I'm going to keep it and try out recording with the XLR out. I'll need some tips on that when I have time. I cannot wait. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201009/485bda7007f44d90bd4508fbe7536c0e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201009/f624b7857b93d374a90a5e9658d0c6e1.jpg

Bakersdozen
09-10-2020, 09:09 AM
Nice acquisition brother!

Sidewinder
09-10-2020, 09:27 AM
I got rid of all my big amps years ago. All I've got now is an Orange Crush 20. My wife gets upset when I go past 3.

FrankenWashie
09-10-2020, 10:50 AM
You have my envy sir. It makes my little Roland Micro Cube seem woefully inadequate.

McCreed
09-10-2020, 01:05 PM
Nice Andy!
I have the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb and it's fantastic. I've played with some fairly loud drummers and the highest I've run it is on the 12w setting and volume at 4.5. I bought mine (pre-order) this first week they came out in AUS. Even after 12 months the prices have hardly dropped.

Did you get the twin new or used?

FWIW, I've sold all my tube amps and now just the Tone Master and a Roland Blues Cube 1x12. Between the two, they cover my 6V6 and 6L6 tube sound requirements just fine!

Andy40
09-10-2020, 03:26 PM
Hey Mcreed. Love my blues cube artist.

I bought the twin second hand. There's no way I would have got it for that price retail.

I thought it would be okay. I never expected the modelling to be this good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

dave.king1
09-10-2020, 06:25 PM
What a snag, that makes me very happy in the gentleman's area.

McCreed
10-10-2020, 01:00 PM
I thought it would be okay. I never expected the modelling to be this good.

Yep. There are a few very well done videos out there doing A/B's of the Tone Master DR and all tube DRRI and the results/opinions were very positive. Some said, yes, there is a very slight difference that may be noticeable in a studio situation, but playing live it would be virtually imperceptible.

I used to own an original '64 DR (still kick myself for selling that one!) and going off my memory (FWTW) the TM DR is all there.

Also, I didn't know you have a BCA too. I really like mine but have only played it at one rehearsal since I got the TM Deluxe!

Andy40
10-10-2020, 03:11 PM
Yep, massive fan of the BCA, I have all of the tone caps too!! so much fun.

I've been playing the TM Twin today...this amp is going to ruin me!:eek:

Bakersdozen
10-10-2020, 04:05 PM
Yep, massive fan of the BCA, I have all of the tone caps too!! so much fun.

I've been playing the TM Twin today...this amp is going to ruin me!:eek:Maybe won't ruin you, but your neighbours/family [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

McCreed
10-10-2020, 04:31 PM
I haven't used the XLR out for recording on the TM yet.
I've had a massive crash and data loss recently and just now getting sorted with a new install of Reaper and all my plugins.

I was literally planning to have a play with that just before the crash! Hope to get something happening there soon.

Simon Barden
10-10-2020, 04:43 PM
You'll need the Deluxe Reverb version to make a matching pair and for when you want something similar sounding but smaller.

DrNomis_44
10-10-2020, 07:10 PM
@ Andy40 Hey Andy, nice score mate, I've heard lots of great things about those Fender Twin Tonemaster amps, you get the Fender Twin sound without the back-breaking weight, I remember doing some servicing-work on a Fender Twin Reverb amp a few years ago, think it was a blackface, and yes those amps are heavy, maybe roughly as heavy as my Fender Super Twin amp, I'm going to be buying myself a brand-new 1 X 12 100 Watt Boss Katana Mk II amp soon so I have something I can easily tote to live jams, sure I have my Marshall MA100C amp, but I put my back out last time I took it to a live jam last week, I saw the light after I got my gear back home.

I used to own a 2 X 12 solid state Fender Stage Lead II amp before I moved to Darwin, wish I still had it.

McCreed
11-10-2020, 06:56 AM
I'm going to be buying myself a brand-new 1 X 12 100 Watt Boss Katana Mk II amp soon so I have something I can easily tote to live jams...

If you're only doing home playing/recording and local jams, I would think the 50w would be plenty.
The 100 does have a couple minor extras, but the 50 is much more backseat and back friendly. 50w is still ridiculously loud and plenty of headroom.

DrNomis_44
11-10-2020, 06:24 PM
If you're only doing home playing/recording and local jams, I would think the 50w would be plenty.
The 100 does have a couple minor extras, but the 50 is much more backseat and back friendly. 50w is still ridiculously loud and plenty of headroom.

I want to get the 100 Watt Boss Katana cause, firstly I can always switch it to 50 Watt mode on the power switch, secondly the 100 Watt Mk II comes with extra preset slots for FX, thirdly it also features an external FX loop.

McCreed
12-10-2020, 07:16 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ahhh, that all makes sense.

kuanjb
12-10-2020, 08:46 AM
I have a Fender Mustang III V2. It doesn't have quite as many features as the new Mustang GT line but it's arguably better sounding. This could partly be due to it having a single Celestion 12" amp speaker as opposed to the more full-range hifi speaker used in the GT-100 (from what I've read).
The Twin Reverb '65 preset is probably the one I use the most. Not sure exactly how close it is to a "real" amp but sounds pretty nice to my ears none the less. I'd certainly be tempted to pick up the Twin Reverb Tone Master if I saw one for a good price. At the moment I'm pretty content though and I do use some of the added features over a normal amp like built in pedals, noise gate, and usb sound device (to allow direct recording on a computer). It even sounds quite nice in it's own right with the modelling turned off.