PDA

View Full Version : AG-1 neck scale

Diggydude
06-10-2020, 11:27 AM
Hello,

Does anyone know what the scale is for the AG-1 kit neck? I'm thinking it's 24.5"?

I messed up a fret replacement (I wanted bigger) and am considering replacing the fretboard as it chipped horribly. Considering a stewmac fret scale template or something similar. Any recommendations?

McCreed
06-10-2020, 11:42 AM
Those would be 24.75" scale, as they are modelled after a particular branded "SG" guitar.

If you've never done a full fretboard replacement, it would probably be cheaper (certainly easier) to just buy a replacement neck.

Diggydude
06-10-2020, 11:49 AM
Thanks McCreed, I was close...

I have never done a replacement before but it definitely won't be my last. I already have a fret saw on it's way so I'd still like to go through with it

Sonic Mountain
06-10-2020, 12:37 PM
For the fretboards I've made, I drew up the layout in illustrator and had it printed at 1:1 at officeworks. Then I just glue it to the blank and saw away. Works really well and is cheeeep.

https://i.imgur.com/Yk9Rsan.jpg

I've pulled a couple of fretboards now and it's not rocket science, just a sharp wedge, lots of steam and patience.

Here's one I documented on here:

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9146&page=3

Diggydude
06-10-2020, 12:58 PM
That's not such a bad idea SonicMountain...

Do you just find the exact measurements online and transfer them into illustrator?

Sonic Mountain
06-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Yeah, Stewmac has a calculator on their site. So you just punch in the number of frets and scale length and it gives you the distance from the nut for each one to 3 decimal places of a mm. Conveniently, Illustrator works to 3 decimal places as well. So I just use the rectangle tool, make them all 60mm wide and then one box of each height. Centre and top align and bingo. I haven't done a G one yet, but I have fender to 24 frets if you want the file? Even just to have a look at how I've put it together? If you PM me your email I'll send it thru.

Diggydude
06-10-2020, 02:27 PM
Thanks, I've PM'd