PDA

View Full Version : JM-1 bridge type

ubikq
26-09-2020, 03:21 AM
Is someone able to help me figure out what type of bridge the JM-1 (https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-jm-1-electric-guitar-kit/) has, so I can investigate my upgrade options? (I am a prospective first time guitar kit builder looking at possibly buying one of these kits.)

Looking at the photos of the bridge, it kind of looks a little like some kind of Strat style bridge, but not like any of the 2 or 6 point bridges I have seen. The body also has two holes that are off-centre to the hole where the trem block would fit, next to where the bridge fits. For the life of my I can't figure out how the bridge is mounted and it all fits together.

JimC
26-09-2020, 03:57 AM
Incorrect info removed.

Simon Barden
26-09-2020, 04:06 AM
Whilst it may look slightly different, it is a standard 2-point Strat style bridge, so any Strat 2-point bridge (if there are metric and imperial options then it will be the metric one) should be a simple drop-in replacement. I have a very similar Wilkinson bridge (WVPSBCR) waiting to go in a still to be purchased project.

Better quality than the kit bridge with a steel block. I think that Wilkinson bridge has now been discontinued, as it was hard to find but it was going very cheaply.

The trem block hole is offset relative to the posts because the trem block is also offset on the bridge plate as the trem arm fits in one end of the block, hence the offset.

Hope that helps.

Simon Barden
26-09-2020, 04:11 AM
It is, unsurprisingly perhaps, a Jazzmaster type.
https://www.realparts.com.au/bridges-tailpieces/jazzmaster-jaguar.html
Not everyone's favourite I believe, but I have no experience of them. You'll find material on line about changes and upgrades.

It’s not, Jim. Its a Strat style trem on that kit. Jazzmaster/Jaguar trems fit in a much larger squarish rout that doesn’t go all the way through to the rear.

Simon Barden
26-09-2020, 04:30 AM
Though any different post hole size or spacing could be solved by gluing dowel in the existing holes and then drilling new ones. I know a few people have done this on this and/or similar kits.

Sonic Mountain
26-09-2020, 04:40 AM
The JM was the first kit I built and now the main guitar I play, although it’s been modded quite a lot. The kit bridge is actually pretty good and works well. I have mine setup as a floating bridge and I use the tremolo without the arm on it by pushing or lifting it. What I did find was that the saddles were a bit ordinary and tended to bind up on each other making adjustment a pain. I swapped them out for some fender ones and it was a huge improvement. It did take me a while to really zero in the setup on the guitar, getting the bridge floating with low action and solid tuning was a bit of tinkering back and forth, but now it’s pretty much my favourite to play.

ubikq
26-09-2020, 03:24 PM
Thanks so much for the helpful info Simon.

I decided to go for the:

JMA-1 kit
Babicz FCH Z Series 2 point Strat tremelo

Can't wait to start my first build.

Whilst it may look slightly different, it is a standard 2-point Strat style bridge, so any Strat 2-point bridge (if there are metric and imperial options then it will be the metric one) should be a simple drop-in replacement. I have a very similar Wilkinson bridge (WVPSBCR) waiting to go in a still to be purchased project.

Better quality than the kit bridge with a steel block. I think that Wilkinson bridge has now been discontinued, as it was hard to find but it was going very cheaply.

The trem block hole is offset relative to the posts because the trem block is also offset on the bridge plate as the trem arm fits in one end of the block, hence the offset.

Hope that helps.