PDA

View Full Version : Interim project - my PRS1-TS

McCreed
27-08-2020, 07:46 AM
While I'm waiting for the finish to set on my strat build, I took on another project to keep me busy. (at least guitar-wise, there's no shortage of other things that I should be doing)

I recently posted in the Swap/Trade/Unload forum that I was offering my finished PBG PRS1-TS body/neck for sale.

This was due to it not getting much playing time, which was mostly a consequence of my disappointment with the access of the upper frets. Especially soloing in the key of B.
If I was doing the kit over again I would have addressed this before setting the neck and applying the finish.
Oh hindsight, you wonderful thing...

So after having zero interest from any buyers (for which I'm now grateful) I decided I'd just mod it and refinish it.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

My plan was two-part: 1) I'd scallop the inside of the lower horn first and see how that felt. 2) If that wasn't enough,
I'd attack the back side of the neck join and wind up with a bigger finish repair job.
Well happy to report the simple scalloping worked a treat!

Luckily I had written down the recipe for the dye I mixed so was able to recreate it and match it with the original.
I'm just waiting for the Tru Oil to cure before sand & polish.
Over all I'm very happy with the result. Not only does it feel better, but I like the aesthetics more now too.

Here's a before & after:

Anyone doing one of the PSR-style kits, I highly recommend modifying the lower horn and/or tapering the neck join.
If was building this kit now, I would do both, but the scalloped horn has proven to be enough for me as a post-build mod.

dozymuppet
27-08-2020, 08:20 AM
That's a very tasty little mod there \m/

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

McCreed
27-08-2020, 11:06 AM
Thanks! It makes a huge difference.

fender3x
02-09-2020, 10:29 AM
Functional and truly unique. An instrument worth having.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk