PDA

View Full Version : Aligning pickups with no scratch guard

Kitcatski
16-08-2020, 10:24 PM
Hello, I'm currently building the XB-1 kit. I was wondering how exactly am I supposed to make sure the pickups are aligned before drilling the mounting holes with no pick guard? All the tutorials say to just make sure it's aligned with the pick guard. Also is there anything I need to do besides drill the 4 holes and screw them in? Does anything need to be done on the inside screws with the spring? Thanks

McCreed
17-08-2020, 06:35 AM
I was wondering how exactly am I supposed to make sure the pickups are aligned before drilling the mounting holes with no pick guard?

Once you have the bridge mounted and neck fitted (with tuners and aligned - all in the manual) you will have already put on the two E strings which you can use to position your humbuckers. You will want the pickups in their mounting rings to do this.

HOWEVER, when you drill the pickup mounting holes is up to you. It can be done before or after the finish has been applied. There are arguments for both and discussed numerous times here and other forums. I'll leave that up to you to research and decide.

Also is there anything I need to do besides drill the 4 holes and screw them in? Does anything need to be done on the inside screws with the spring?

Short answers are: yes, and no. Need to drill 4 screw holes for each mounting ring, nothing should need doing for the height adjustment screws inside the route unless there is an issue with the factory pickup routing.