PDA

View Full Version : Finished PRS-1TS for sale sans hardware

McCreed
12-07-2020, 07:37 AM
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone is interested in buying my stripped down 2018 PRS-1TS (Tiger Stripe) build.
It would just be the set neck and body with no hardware. However I will leave the Tusq nut in place and I believe I have the kit HB's which I'd include if wanted.

There are some imperfections on the back of the body, but the rest is very nice.
The finish is Tru Oil over water based dye.

I'm selling because I just don't play it very often. My strats & teles get most of my attention these days.
I could also use the space for another one of those :o. It does play very nicely. Good action, excellent intonation.

The original kit was $215 two years ago. Shipping (within AU only) will be about $40 insured.
I'd like to get 200 + shipping, but I'm open to reasonable offers if that's unrealistic.

I've attached one photo below, but can email more to anyone interested. Just PM me.

Thanks,
Mick

edited to change kit price from $249 to $215

king casey
12-07-2020, 02:05 PM
I can agree about not holding onto guitars that you don't really play.

I recently off-loaded my Epiphone for that reason, as well as appeasing the 'too many guitars' angle from my partner, it allowed me room for the 'mustang duo-sonic' kit.

If nobody takes it off your hands you may be best fitting the kit pickups and flogging it on ebay.
I got an unexpectedly good price for my Epiphone probably due to it's 'custom' paint job.

cheers, Mark.

Andy40
14-07-2020, 12:15 PM
Nice guitar McCreed. not, my thing though. hope it goes to a good home.

Sonic Mountain
14-07-2020, 02:36 PM
I've sold quite a few of my kit guitars, but I haven't got much more than $200 completed and fully loaded (even with upgraded parts and what I would consider pretty good finishing) unless they are ones I've been specifically asked to build. Just for some perspective.

On the other side of the coin, it is worth asking for payment for your time and craftsmanship.

At the end of the day its worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it, so I hope you find a buyer.

McCreed
14-07-2020, 04:59 PM
I've sold quite a few of my kit guitars, but I haven't got much more than $200 completed and fully loaded (even with upgraded parts and what I would consider pretty good finishing) unless they are ones I've been specifically asked to build. Just for some perspective.

Yes, there's what it's worth, and what it's worth. IYKWIM.
The sad truth is with kit builds or parts-casters (even with top range parts) are worth more parting them out than fully assembled.
It's a huge PITA, but that's what I've resigned to doing to move some guitars.

If it doesn't have F or G on the headstock, forget about it. And even re-sale of F's & G's are great anymore.

JimC
14-07-2020, 06:45 PM
The trouble is that very playable far eastern assembled guitars sell for almost no money. I may think that my ESB-4 is a far better instrument than any second hand Ibanez or Squier Affinity (although I might struggle to explain why) but realistically if the kid next door came and asked me for advice on what to get as a first instrument it would be the cheap Precision.

fender3x
30-08-2020, 10:16 AM
If I lived in AUS, I'd be very tempted with this one. If it plays as well as it looks it'll make someone very happy.

My daughter's boyfriend just asked about buying a bass. My recommendation is just like JimC's, with an offer to help him set it up.

The world has gone a bit nuts with regard to electric guitars and basses. Bases like my mid-1970s Precision go for $1800-2500 US on ebay. It sounds and plays great, but if I put light tuners on it to help with neck dive, it will play better but be worth less. My SX bass (decent quality Chinese) has been upgraded with EMG pickups and electronics, a bone nut, leveled and dressed frets, Gotoh Res-o-light tuners. It's a better instrument to play than my genuine Fender, but I'll never get what I paid for out of it. Best case scenario is that someone will give it the left-handed compliment of being a "player."

People won't pay for a guitar or bass just because it's a great playing, unique instrument. But they'll pay through the nose for one that has been sitting in the case for years without getting played. This must really confuse the extraterrestrials.

McCreed
30-08-2020, 11:02 AM
Thanks fender3x.

I have actually decide to keep it. I posted another thread about that last week. (didn't much traction)
I'd delete this thread if I could but I think you can only do that for recent posts or something.

Other thread here if you're interested: PRS1-TS is a Keeper (https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10837&p=202163#post202163)