PDA

View Full Version : Equinox II Reverb

Bakersdozen
11-07-2020, 09:21 PM
Have been getting stuck into the next cab off the rank, which is the Equinox II Reverb pedal. The verb comes from 2 PT2399 chips set to a very short tail to give the reverb effect. Demos sounded good and this is certainly a step up in terms of build complexity (for me). Also a good chance to test my skills without blowing up an expensive Belton reverb brick.

Here's the layout;

I decided, that I don't need tails or a buffered bypass, so am opting to go traditional true bypass with 3pdt. But I have to put a link between Stomp 4&5. Can still use Stomp 1&2 off the board as the power rails are there and the CLR is quite handy included on the layout.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200711/d8581ac1a883b1640f2e24a6ef4d3dae.jpg

Simon Barden
11-07-2020, 09:28 PM
Unlike delay, you generally want reverb on or off for a song, rather than turn it on and off during the song itself. So not having tails and going true bypass makes sense here.

Bakersdozen
11-07-2020, 09:32 PM
For some reason I forgot to take photos early on, but here are a few stages of the build.

IC sockets, links and resistors.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200711/7f5b0e2076d20371d2bca47fe5df5efa.jpg

Caps
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200711/63305cfb8e4d9b8ffa8befdebb28f703.jpg

Electrolytic caps
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200711/2f9320cff447de96bb1020df98aa4045.jpg

Fully populated and testing
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200711/48d58f1341c4c419978d298e2c3e67c7.jpg

Forgot the sockets have a curved cutaway to orient them on the board, so one of the 16pin and the opamp socket are upside down. That doesn't affect their performance though as the chips can still be installed the right way round.

She has fired up fine with only one slightly loose connection on the switch 4&5 bridge that I had to fix to ensure proper operation. Sounds good thru my little Vox headphone amp (now pedal tester) so happy days.

Next up will be offboard wiring and boxing fun/artwork. Going for a 125b as they are very comfortable to work with and this board fits perfectly the way it is oriented in the layout.

Bakersdozen
11-07-2020, 09:33 PM
Unlike delay, you generally want reverb on or off for a song, rather than turn it on and off during the song itself. So not having tails and going true bypass makes sense here.That was my exact thought process too.

Andy40
12-07-2020, 03:55 AM
Looks really nice and tidy there BD. I built a delay pedal with two PT2399 chips an it works great, I especially like the slapback effect.

High five on the Vox heaphone test!:cool:

KiMT
12-07-2020, 05:44 AM
Hi Bakersdozen, I would like to try building diy pedals. Nothing as complicated as yours, maybe just simple ones. May I ask where you source your stripboard layouts online and components in Australia? Thanks in advance!

Bakersdozen
12-07-2020, 07:16 AM
Looks really nice and tidy there BD. I built a delay pedal with two PT2399 chips an it works great, I especially like the slapback effect.

High five on the Vox heaphone test!:cool:Thanks man, this one has a nice subtle slapback when the pot is dimed. Keen to box it up and test with my little portable rig.

Bakersdozen
12-07-2020, 07:32 AM
Hi Bakersdozen, I would like to try building diy pedals. Nothing as complicated as yours, maybe just simple ones. May I ask where you source your stripboard layouts online and components in Australia? Thanks in advance!Hi KiMT, get into it mate - it's definitely lots of fun. I source the stripboard layouts from here
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/orange-squeezer.html?m=1

In regards to starting out and working out where to get components, there is a great thread here that outlines getting started and wrapping your head around everything, with lots of great links.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebuildyourownguitar%2 Ecom%2Eau%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D10639&share_tid=10639&share_fid=183630&share_type=t&link_source=app

As you said, start out with something basic like a buffer or boost and build your confidence from there. We look forward to seeing some of your builds.

JohnH
12-07-2020, 09:03 AM
Great work! I'm loving all the pedal building that's been happening on here lately

Bakersdozen
12-07-2020, 09:07 AM
Great work! I'm loving all the pedal building that's been happening on here latelyMe too. Such great projects for time like these. Thoroughly enjoying your forays too mate. I just can't get my cat to stay still for as long as yours.

JohnH
13-07-2020, 09:53 AM
I just can't get my cat to stay still for as long as yours.

We really lucked out with how chill our cat is. Yesterday she fell asleep on the kids keyboard, slid off, smacked into the ground, looked slightly annoyed for about two seconds and then went back to sleep right where she fell, ha ha ha

Bakersdozen
13-07-2020, 09:55 AM
We really lucked out with how chill our cat is. Yesterday she fell asleep on the kids keyboard, slid off, smacked into the ground, looked slightly annoyed for about two seconds and then went back to sleep right where she fell, ha ha haClassic manovure!

jugglindan
13-07-2020, 03:24 PM
I have decided that small predators (cats, dogs, pythons) make the best pets. We have a rabbit, and although they are fairly relaxed most of the time, the fight or flight response seems to be always just one sudden movement or unexpected noise away. I blame the fact that they are prey animals. Usually they just run away, but I do seem to get bitten every week or two. Cue the Monty Python references with "That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide!".

Slightly more on topic: I am planning a PT2399 delay soon. I would love to hear some audio samples once you get it all boxed up as well as a description of what type of reverb it does well.

Bakersdozen
13-07-2020, 04:21 PM
I have decided that small predators (cats, dogs, pythons) make the best pets. We have a rabbit, and although they are fairly relaxed most of the time, the fight or flight response seems to be always just one sudden movement or unexpected noise away. I blame the fact that they are prey animals. Usually they just run away, but I do seem to get bitten every week or two. Cue the Monty Python references with "That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide!".

Slightly more on topic: I am planning a PT2399 delay soon. I would love to hear some audio samples once you get it all boxed up as well as a description of what type of reverb it does well.Cool I will do, just troubleshooting weird some boxing issues .. unsure what's going on yet. Was working perfectly then stopped... I'll get there..gotta be an earth short somewhere I think

Bakersdozen
13-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Slightly more on topic: I am planning a PT2399 delay soon. I would love to hear some audio samples once you get it all boxed up as well as a description of what type of reverb it does well.

Okay here you go. A super quick a dirty demo of this circuit.

https://soundcloud.com/a-bakers-dozen/equinox-reverb-sound-demo/s-C7KcKUyVj61

First run is clean. Then level at quarter, half, 3/4 and finally full.

I would describe it, for the way it is configured in this particular circuit, as going from a subtle spring reverb effect to a more pronounced spring reverb. Then spring reverb with some slapback and then the slapback gets increasingly more and more as the level goes up. I like how it blends the short and longer delays together to create a faux of both worlds. It's responsive to how hard you play and if you give it heaps the longer delay line will ring out more. Pretty cool for a <$25 pedal.

Simon Barden
13-07-2020, 09:12 PM
I like it up to the 1/2 setting. Above that, it just gets too echoey for my own tastes. I do like smooth reverbs without obvious echo components, which are nothing like you'd normally get in nature.

With a few more of those chips set for different delay times, you could probably get a smoother reverb sound when set for more intense sounds.

Bakersdozen
13-07-2020, 09:24 PM
Yes I agree. My brief for this pedal was a subtle reverb, so utilising it between 1/4 to 1/2 will be my sweet spot. The slapback thing is just a bonus, but won't get used much at all. It really is a faux reverb, but I'm happy with it for its intended purpose, which is to sit next to my small Little Smasher amp head driving a 1 X 12 cab. A small and portable rig. As opposed to the big heavy Marshall amp, which obviously has its own reverb tank anyway.

JohnH
15-07-2020, 04:11 PM
Sounds good! I actually quite like a bit of echo. Might have to add this one to the build list

Bakersdozen
15-07-2020, 08:10 PM
Sounds good! I actually quite like a bit of echo. Might have to add this one to the build listYou should dig it. Just waiting on some final bits for finalising the enclosure .

Bakersdozen
23-07-2020, 08:14 AM
Here she is now all completed. Took some time for the vinyl letting to arrive. It's a little brighter than the sca red and the racing stripe, but I'm still happy with how it's turned out. It may fade a little over time. The black face, is also some vinyl wrap I had laying about.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200723/aab2d00e70a6efdc7fe4f9ee5116bf5b.jpg

Bakersdozen
23-07-2020, 03:16 PM
Thanks again to @jugglindan for the great 125b template files. Worked great for this and the pulp squeezer, so handy.

jugglindan
23-07-2020, 03:21 PM
I think the brighter text is good. Makes it really pop.

And no worries about the drilling templates. I needed them for my own use so may as well share them too. Once you get the basics of Inkscape it's really easy to modify them as needed for specific pedals.

Bakersdozen
23-07-2020, 03:43 PM
I think the brighter text is good. Makes it really pop.

And no worries about the drilling templates. I needed them for my own use so may as well share them too. Once you get the basics of Inkscape it's really easy to modify them as needed for specific pedals.It certainly has a learning curve, but is very powerful. I'm getting there slowly navigating around it.

Simon Barden
23-07-2020, 03:47 PM
Yes, Inkscape is very good. It did exactly what I needed to do for my basic headstock logos, which a paid-for program couldn't. But it is quite confusing to start with, which is where I'm at with it.