PDA

View Full Version : August GOTM

Brendan
11-07-2020, 10:13 AM
August Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in July)

Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars August Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished on (or before) the end of July.

One guitar/bass per member per month.
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable).
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable.

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to brendan (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning guitars around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

Competition for August closes at the end of July (Perth Western Australian time).

The sorts of things we judge on include:
· How well have the body and neck been prepared
· Is the choice of finish for the style of guitar appropriate
· How well has the finish been applied
· How well has all the hardware, pickups, etc, been installed
· Does it have the 'Wow Factor'· Which guitar would you make a beeline for in a guitar shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

BTW - remember that the winner is invited to be a guest judge the following month!

joshyouare80
12-07-2020, 03:38 PM
I nearly finished this in April/May, but thanks to COVID the pickups took forever to get here! Finally done at the start of July.

The Procrasticastor: https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10290&page=3

- ATL-1SW kit
- Upgraded to Gotoh SG381 Tuners
- Upgraded to Gotoh S21 Solid Steel Saddles
- Cabot's Jarrah Satin stain & Varnish on the body
- Danish oil & Cabothane poly on the neck.
- Pickups: Wilde (Bill Lawrence) Alnico Microcoils. Stunning pickups, extremely pure even when you crank it, and practically silent to boot!

lorenzo
23-07-2020, 04:31 PM
My GS2Q kit, ordered without hw and electronics.

- Gotoh GE103-BT bridge
- Gotoh GE101-A stoptail
- Kluson locking head tuners
- Seymour Duncan Sh4 pickups
- brass nut
- custom maple control cavity cover attached with magnets.

Finished with crimsons stunning stains brown, orange, amber, yellow and nitro sealer and clear.

TonyV
23-07-2020, 08:28 PM
Finished this just into the start of July. My first kit, this is a GST-1 kit, all stock standard kit parts.

American Ash body, Maple neck, Jatoba fretboard.

The finish is one coat of black Rit dye, sanded back, then two coats of a 60/40 mix of Opaque Red hobby paint and Scarlet Red Rit dye. Then about 20 coats of FW Wipe on Poly. Neck was coated with Tru-Oil and fretboard with mineral oil.

TonyV
23-07-2020, 08:29 PM
The rest of the pics

METAL Rulez 4ever
23-07-2020, 08:47 PM
My FVB-4 Pirate Bass.

Shou Sugi Banned to preserve the wood and highlight the wood grain then engraved each grain including back of neck.
Cherry Pie ink stained and on back of neck and with watered down black on top for back of body.
Body...Scandinavian oiled finished with multiple coats of Tru-Oil with 3000grit light polish in between. Neck...Tru-Oil with 0000 steel wool light polish in between coats and eucalyptus oil for fretboard.
Swapped neck from a ML Bass Kit.
Custom chrome pups. A500K pots and .022 cap.

dozymuppet
26-07-2020, 05:37 PM
- JBA-4M kit
- Black hardware upgrade
- Timbermate ebony wood filler
- Birchwood Casey Walnut Stain
- Birchwood Casey Sealer & Filler
- Birchwood Casey Tru-oil
- Creative-Cuts black block fret marker decals
- Customer headstock decal from fret marker offcuts
- Ernie Ball flatwound strings

dozymuppet
26-07-2020, 05:38 PM

Amicom
26-07-2020, 11:01 PM
Hello everyone from Russia!

We covered the linden tree with Osmo tinting oil, then we covered everything with Osmo hard, colorless silky matte oil. The frets were sanded, shimmered and polished. Everything was assembled, screened, soldered and tuned. A little later, a wooden cap was added to cover the anchor nuts and laser-engraved logos.

We set two volumes, a master tone, and two switches that turn Humbuckers into singles.
The result is a rather thick dense sound and a slight tint of nasal tone.

We are very satisfied with our work and the end result!
Many thanks to Pit Bull Guitars for this builder! :)

Sorry, the photos could not be uploaded for some reasons :(, I sent them to Your specified mail.

DanGroeger
27-07-2020, 09:16 AM
Made during the Covid 19 pandemic. May I introduce to you my first build Pitbull JB4 bass guitar in zebra wood with a matte finish and abalone centered knobs for some colour pop.
Cheers! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200727/bab9d870ec3a95a5ea7426132803fa3e.plist
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200727/1e8a06878516eed154c74166da7683d9.plist
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200727/59f20d642042e8bb079248a2c454cbe5.plist
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200727/261cea845ec35c1a4784f2956caaeb58.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliff Rogers
27-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Cool, what is the finish?

DanGroeger
27-07-2020, 10:08 AM
It’s a sprayed polyurethane matte finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnH
27-07-2020, 11:01 AM
Looks great!

dave.king1
27-07-2020, 01:48 PM
Very nice, there's an identical build on Pistonheads ( UK car forum ) but the guy is from Kent in the UK, even has the same headstock shape but has a logo.

On this page here
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=193&t=498718&i=5800

PJSprog
27-07-2020, 11:41 PM
Nice! Been thinking about a zebrawood J-bass or maybe a ST-guitar. Yours looks like it came out great.

METAL Rulez 4ever
02-08-2020, 04:31 PM
Some more closer pics...

Brendan
03-08-2020, 08:56 PM
Hello everyone from Russia!

We covered the linden tree with Osmo tinting oil, then we covered everything with Osmo hard, colorless silky matte oil. The frets were sanded, shimmered and polished. Everything was assembled, screened, soldered and tuned. A little later, a wooden cap was added to cover the anchor nuts and laser-engraved logos.

We set two volumes, a master tone, and two switches that turn Humbuckers into singles.
The result is a rather thick dense sound and a slight tint of nasal tone.

We are very satisfied with our work and the end result!
Many thanks to Pit Bull Guitars for this builder! :)

Sorry, the photos could not be uploaded for some reasons :(, I sent them to Your specified mail.

Photos attached below!

Brendan
03-08-2020, 08:57 PM
And some more photos!

Brendan
03-08-2020, 08:59 PM
And comp closed. IB-6SL received before last beers so will be included in this month's comp. Will open a new one soon!

fender3x
04-08-2020, 05:53 AM
Tough month!

Brendan
17-08-2020, 09:51 PM
So - judges comments are in - results to be posted shortly!

1. Joshyouare80 ATL-1SW
Nice colour scheme. Love the white binding/pickguard combo contrast with that stain.
With the upgraded hardware and pickups I think it would be a pleasure to play.
Only negative I noticed was the finish on the body was not perfect (Few spots of stain on the binding, clear coat didn't look super smooth)
Very clean and understated with great attention to detail (with perhaps the exception of the missing switch tip) Nice upgrades and over all very cohesive build.
Love the colour, and the binding is really tidy. Love to see a pickup selector knob. To me it looks unfinished without it.
Great looking TL, the colour really works for me with the pearloid and binding. Definitely something I'd pick up and play. Nice headstock and logo and clean overall look with some choice upgrades. The missing switch knob is sadly driving me nuts.
Stunning finish, what an inspired choice of colour for the spalted veneer and white binding, this works beautifully.

2. LORENZO GS2Q
Great work on the stain here. Blended nicely. Clear coat came out real nice and shiny! Nice upgrades. Only thing I can think of as an improvement is to get some decent photos of it and it would really show it off!
Nicely handled finishing on the quilt and overall build quality appears good. It might just be the photos, but the back of the guitar isn’t as nicely realised as the front, is there a shim in the neck pocket? Some well considered upgrades and overall solid effort.
Sweet finish with a subtle burst. The colours are great.
Beautiful. I love that particular stain combination and it really brings the top and headstock alive. Stunning stains indeed. The maple control cover is a little stark in contrast for me, but I like the sleekness of the magnets. Is it a glue line, filler or fraction of missing stain at the neck/front of the pocket join? Excellent hardware and great build.
Wow! This is amazing, one of the best subtle burst finishes I've seen. Great work Lorenzo.

3. TonyV GST-1
Great looking strat. Very clean and simple. Nice work on getting the grain to pop with the red stain.
Headstock decal has a nice personal touch. Would buy!
Couldn't fault much with this, only thing would be possibly looking at upgrading pickups/hardware down the track but that doesn't affect my score.
Classic strat is a great way to kick off the building obsession. Grain and finish has come up very nicely and it’s a classic colour combo. Details look good, but a little more attention to things like the pick guard spacing around the bridge and ensuring all the grain is completely filled for a smooth finish would lift it from being quite good to great.
Sublime finish. Great colour. It looks like a guitar that costs $1000 more.
Very clean looking red ST. I think the back looks the best with the grain contrast, as the white plastics on the top give the red a slightly pastel hint (maybe from the hobby paint?). Great looking headstock and logo, and overall a really nice build.
Perfect! Who wouldn't want this in their collection. I would be immediately drawn to this in a Guitar Store.

4. METAL Rules 4ever FVB-4
Very unique bass with some great techniques involved.
Personally not my taste but it definitely catches my eye.
The headstock is pretty cool. Looks like it wants to be played hard and loud! Quality of build and techniques used I will go [score removed] ... Would I make a bee line for it in a shop..probably not.
Another very interesting build from MR4E in his unique style. Like many other members who have build a lot of kits he’s really carved out his own look and approach. Finishing is brutally appropriate and unique. This guitar really looks like it means business. Lots of unique touches like the tuner mounting and various doodads to play into the style. While not to my taste, the extra effort into giving the guitar a unique personality is worth some extra points in my book.
You’ve perfected this technique now. Neck looks incredible. Personally I would have left the metal V off ands the angles don’t quite work.
Insane, in a good way. I think I like the back of the body and neck most, a real 'played it 'til I bled' vibe. Show-stopping headtstock and overall look.
my friend, you have done it again! Brutal and brilliant! You must be running out of room with all these awesome builds of yours.

5. Dozymuppet JBA-4M
A nicely finished and simple clean looking bass. The stain and clear coat look really well done. I like the black pick guard/ black hardware.
Don't know if I'm a massive fan of the block fret markers but overall a nice build. I wouldnt mind this in my collection.
Another very clean and understated approach. As much as I enjoy wild customisation, there is a lot to be said for nice tidy straight forward builds. This one is a great effort for a first timer with lots learnt along the way. Finishing and assembly has been done with a lot of care and a few nice custom touches. Again, I’d probably like to see a little more of the grain filled for a smooth finish, but as it stands it’s very clean and tidy.
Impressive finish. Colours are subtle but it looks incredible and the block “inlays” really add something.
Subtle, tasteful and very nice. Clean classic look of the brown with black hardware and plastics, and nicely deceptive look with the headstock teeth. The block decals really add to the overall look. Very nice.
Classic! Another great choice of finish that works for the grain, mapleneck and black hardware. Well done DozyMuppet

6. DanGroeger JB-4Z
Another pretty cool looking bass. The zebra wood looks great, I like the matte finish with this one. Abalone knobs look good, don't really know where they fit in to the rest of the guitar but they don't look bad.
Logo on the headstock would have been nice.
Try as I might I can’t seem to come around to the zebra wood, but that’s very much a personal taste thing. Finishing appears quite good and assembly the same. It’s very tidy, but perhaps lacking a little something in the context of this months entries, which are of a very high standard. Very commendable build regardless.
Like great spalted tops, the zebra kits just look naturally good. You’ve kept out of the way and let it be itself. Good job. Is that a scratch on the back though?
Nice treatment of the zebra look and it works well with black hardware and plastics. I really like the soft curves of the headstock, but it looks a touch plain without some sort of logo. The overall matte look is great and suits it nicely. Well done.
This looks fantastic, nice work Dan, you really got the best out of the Zebrawood body.

7. Amicom IB-6SL
Unique build. The headstock is pretty awesome. Nice grain in the body. The placement of the logo is a little bit different but overall a nice looking guitar. Good job.
What a beast, six strings of lefty spalted thunder. Another very clean build that’s hard to split from the pack this month. Some nice touches and doesn’t shy away from it’s Pitbull Origins.
Lovely stain finish that really suits the spalted top. Great job.
Stunning bass. These things just look amazing showing off their natural beauty. Even the decal on the body looks great, which is something I never thought I'd type. The spalt looks fantastic with the finish and is enhanced further with the black hardware. Nice choice with the electronics and I love the TRC. Excellent build.
2 Pit Bull Guitars decals are better than one, nice work Amicom. I saw this one on facebook (I think) and was blown away. Great build.

Brendan
17-08-2020, 09:55 PM
So to the runner up - congratulations to Dozymuppet's JBA-4M - awesome work and a worthy guitar in its own right...
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=36681&d=1595755997

And the winner TonyV GST-1 - immaculate and clear favourite of the judges.
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=36621&stc=1&d=1595506322

dozymuppet
18-08-2020, 05:53 PM
Nice! Congrats TonyV and all the other entries.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

blinddrew
18-08-2020, 10:29 PM
Cracking work folks!

TonyV
19-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Wow, I'm blown away by the comments, and am truly humbled and honoured to have picked up the gong this month. Thanks to the judges. All the other guitars this month looked great. This kit was a lot of fun to put together as my first ever kit, the quality of the kit was excellent, and I learned a lot along the way, especially from spending hours and hours reading threads and comments on this forum. It is such a treasure trove of information and experience.

Even though this one plays like a dream, and the kit pickups sound great, I can't wait to get started on my next PB kit (A DSS-1 Custom Special). I've got one other project on the go before I start the DSS, but looking forward to starting a build diary on the DSS-1 very soon (promise I'll be better at posting progress on this forum, and not just on Facebook groups as well).

Cheers and thank you again,

Tony V.

Fretworn
23-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Congratulations guys. Well deserved in both cases.