PDA

View Full Version : Hipshot Ultralite Bass Tuning Machines

fender3x
04-07-2020, 01:46 AM
I have a set of the Korean made Hipshot Ultralites on one of my basses. I like them pretty well, and was searching for the best price I could get on some more for a current project, when I ran into this at Guitar Center

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Hipshot/HB6C-1-2-Bass-Tuning-Machine-Set-Chrome-1274034477320.gc

Normally the discounted price for USA Hipshot Ultralites is $100-$120. So this is a pretty good price that is also available at 123Music and Musician's Friend. The difference, at least in the US, is that they do free shipping and will pretty much always give a !0% if you ask for it. That make USA tuners with the cloverleaf $68. The best price I have seen for the Korean cloverleaf ultralites is less than $3 cheaper from a single seller on Ebay.

Comments on the website make me think that the sleeve on these may be 16mm like the Korean ones, rather than 18mm like the USA made, but I was able to confirm that they are, in fact, the USA tuners. For the difference in price, I am pretty sure I am OK with putting a couple of wraps of tape around the sleeve if that's the case.

Just sprung for a set. If they are not as advertised I will report, but this seems like a deal worth reporting even if it's only a benefit to the US/CDN users.

Simon Barden
04-07-2020, 02:06 AM
If they are like the ones I've got (but ever yet used), you can simply change them from L/R to R/H (or vice-versa) with a hex key, so can be used on four-in-a-line and 2+2 configurations (or 3+1 or 4+ 1 etc) so can easily be transferred to another bass (with a suitable hole diameter) if needed.

fender3x
04-07-2020, 04:56 AM
These should be reversable. Evidently the Korean ones are not. Not sure what the difference is.