PDA

View Full Version : Because you can never have too many resistors!

jugglindan
15-06-2020, 02:05 PM
I grow tired of pedal circuits with uncommon resistor values, requiring me to scrutinise schematics to see if a value substitution will be possible, and sometimes constructing new values from ugly series or parallel concoctions. In the past I have gone to Jaycar, but at $3 for 8 resistors plus the travel time to their store it's less than ideal.

Enter eBay and this monster pack that just arrived:

20 each of 156 different values, at less than 1 cent per resistor.

Won't get caught out now. Except for 10k. Every pedal seems to use more 10k than any other value, sometimes 7 or 8 times as many. So I bought a 100 pack of 10k.

Fortunately they are sorted. Never again will I buy one of those jumbo packs of tangled resistors!

Bakersdozen
15-06-2020, 02:18 PM
Damn Son you just couldn't resist could you?

Sorry I couldn't resist the Dad joke.

jugglindan
15-06-2020, 02:28 PM
Nope, I couldn't resist at all!

I also can't resist checking the tracking info for your pedal. Frustratingly it has shown "Item processed at facility Melbourne VIC" since last thursday. How long can it take to get from the Melbourne depot to you?

Bakersdozen
15-06-2020, 02:29 PM
I was expecting it today, but should be tomorrow. Bugger.

FrankenWashie
15-06-2020, 02:36 PM
In order to resist, you must clear your mind of conscious thought, and repeat the mantra

"Ohm, Ohm, Ohm" Your meter of chant should be in time with your heartbeat, or at least with the pulse of the electrodes....

jugglindan
15-06-2020, 02:44 PM
ohm (zap) ohm (zap) ...

Sorry, I can't keep in time with the pulse of the electrodes. It keeps devolving into a steady rock backbeat.

Also, it was the FS-808 that was the final straw. I had to stitch a couple of resistors together from the parts of others. Kind of appropriate really.

FrankenWashie
15-06-2020, 03:49 PM
I had to stitch a couple of resistors together from the parts of others. Kind of appropriate really.

Igor sees, excuse me I meant, theeth nothing wrong with that.

Simon Barden
15-06-2020, 04:12 PM
Can't you throw in two or three ARM processors to go with the general vibe?

jugglindan
15-06-2020, 05:58 PM
Don't have any, but I found this opamp marked Abby something. Abby ... Normal. Yes, that's it, Abby Normal!

FrankenWashie
15-06-2020, 06:20 PM
Don't have any, but I found this opamp marked Abby something. Abby ... Normal. Yes, that's it, Abby Normal!

It’s pronounced Franken Steeen!

king casey
15-06-2020, 06:23 PM
It’s pronounced Franken Steeen!

pedant warning ...

'Fronken steen'.

cheers, Mark.

DrNomis_44
16-06-2020, 02:35 AM
Yep, I agree...totally, you can't have too many resistors, caps, transistors, semiconductors,etc, I need to build up my stock of electronic components so I can start work on building the big Modular Synthesizer.

I'm reminded of a pun I read in an old Electronics Today International magazine, as far as I can remember, it went like this....."It is beyond my capacity to resist such biased attitudes towards semiconductors,...you might say I have a Fet-ish for them".

Andy40
16-06-2020, 02:53 AM
Now that's forward planning

DrNomis_44
10-10-2020, 07:37 PM
Always remember that, if a circuit you're building calls for a particular resistor value, and you don't have any of that value in stock, you can always substitute the next value up or down, and the circuit should still work normally, say for example that a circuit calls for a 10k resistor, you look through your stash of resistors but can find no 10k resistors, but you can find lots of 11k and 9k8 resistors, you can use either value as substitutes and the circuit should work fine.

Rabbitz
11-10-2020, 04:46 AM
One of my first jobs, straight out of school, was in an electronics workshop. One of the radios were modifying for sale in Australia had some sort of of comparator network involving resistors of closely matched values. At the distance of nearly 40 years I can't remember exactly what it was for but I suspect it was in a PLL.

Every so often a big box of resistors would arrive and all hands would then calibrate their meters and start measuring and sorting resistors. At one point we had 200,000 resistors sorted into storage bins according to their measured value.

We had one chap, a bit of a practical joker, the type who would cut a length of 0.5mm tinned wire about 200mm long and piece it into the solder reel that hung above your bench just to watch you burn your fingers when the "solder" stopped melting...

One day old mate decided to super glue the bosses coffee cup to a shelf.

Later in the day, the boss grabbed his cup as he walked past. Unfortunately the shelf was a piece of plywood sitting on a couple of brackets. As the boss walked away with his cup the shelf followed, distributing the contents of the storage bins onto the floor.

200,000 resistors all mixed up again. Two days later we had them sorted into their bins again.

Old mate got a new nickname that afternoon: "Unemployed".