PDA

View Full Version : Billy Bo build

grak
14-06-2020, 08:21 AM
I always wanted one of these guitars but they are very expensive and hard to find. I have included some pictures of this build. I used a pitbull LP style neck and the body is fully chambered. Most of the hardware is Gretsch.

Sonic Mountain
14-06-2020, 08:57 AM
Wow. Unreal work. Wish there had been a diary of the build to follow, you clearly know what you're doing.

McCreed
14-06-2020, 09:38 AM
Yeah, very cool. Beautiful work.
It's not my thing guitar-wise, but I certainly appreciate the craftsmanship.

I particularly like your paint rig! I presume the tube that the right angled re-bar is welded to spins around on a shaft and locks in position some how?

Good solution to spraying a set neck guitar.

Simon Barden
14-06-2020, 03:40 PM
Looks superb. Well done.

JohnH
14-06-2020, 05:13 PM
Great work!

Andy40
14-06-2020, 05:23 PM
Awesome work man.

Simon Barden
14-06-2020, 06:00 PM
Given the 'recipe' part of the section's title, could you give us a run-down of all the parts you used once you've fully finished, along with a few more shots of the guitar?

grak
14-06-2020, 06:46 PM
that's correct McCreed , it was the only way to easily manage the thing. It is just a simple mounting on a base with a lock knob that can be clamped onto a saw horse or the like.

dozymuppet
14-06-2020, 06:47 PM
Very cool contraption. What does it weigh all up?

grak
14-06-2020, 07:27 PM
No problems Simon. The bridge ,tailpiece control knobs and switch as well as the strap locks are all Gretsch items. The pickups are Gretsch filtertrons. Hipshot open back locking tuners with Gibson style buttons are used . The body woods were supplied by a person that uses Australian woods for his instruments. I wanted woods that were similar to mahogany and maple.He supplied me a one piece Australian cedar for the body and a white bookmatched version for the top. I also put a matching veneer on the Pitbull neck. I bought the basic plan from overseas but designed the chambering as I built it. I did build another version first but as a reverse body with a bolt on neck. It was OK but I wanted a 24.5 tilt back neck on set neck body. The back is just clear coat. The neck stained to match. The top is clear candy apple red with a natural masked binding.

grak
14-06-2020, 07:33 PM
From memory mid 7lbs. I removed a fair amount of wood in the chambering!

dave.king1
16-06-2020, 03:16 PM
Very nice work right there.

I've got a mate here in Sydney who turns these out in very small numbers each year for not a very small price but very high quality workmanship and components.

https://youtu.be/dVVocBY1DpU

grak
16-06-2020, 07:42 PM
Verry nice!!

Fretworn
17-06-2020, 07:26 PM
Well done...............

IngridM
16-02-2021, 10:14 AM
Grak this is gorgeous. A Billy Bo is on my dream list to build. Lovely colours.

Where did you get the plans from? Also wondering what the effect of not chambering it would be? Just excess weight? I don't have any routing equipment.

What was your approx cost for all the hardware $AUD?

I've been thinking about getting a blank Pitbull body + neck to have a go at a Billy Bo next (a bass).