PDA

View Full Version : Tru oil over final coat

Diggydude
11-06-2020, 09:33 AM
Hello,

I’ve applied dingotone on both the body and neck but have since read that the body final coat isn’t string enough for the neck. Is this true? I haven’t applied it to the fretboard, just the back and headstock.

I’ve heard you can put tru oil over dingotone but is that over the colour? Can I put it on over the final coat mix?

Thanks

Simon Barden
11-06-2020, 04:45 PM
You certainly can. TO has a slight yellow tinge to it, so will affect the colour slightly. It will also go slightly more yellow as it ages, so try and think ahead to what the colour will be like. If you don't like it, then you'll need a clear finish over the top. But I wouldn't apply any extra finish of any sort until the Dingotone has had a long time to dry thoroughly first. It's not the fastest drying finish in the world. You don't want any solvents trapped under the clear coat as it could cause adhesion issues.

Diggydude
11-06-2020, 05:40 PM
Thanks simon.

I like the colour as it is and I’d rather it not yellow, so do I need an oil based clear coat? Any recommendations?

Simon Barden
11-06-2020, 05:46 PM
I really don't know. I'd have thought once it was dry it wouldn't be 'oily' any more (as the oil should have polymerised so it's more like a plastic) so it should take most finishes. Others here have used it, but it's not available outside Australia. Hopefully someone else will reply. Otherwise you can try searching build diaries for 'tru oil' and 'poly' or 'lacquer'.

m0j0
21-08-2020, 05:54 AM
Thanks simon.

I like the colour as it is and I’d rather it not yellow, so do I need an oil based clear coat? Any recommendations?

Hey Diggydude, did you end up finding a suitable clear coat to put over your dingotone finish? I'm going to be faced with the same dilemma soon. I want to try for a nice glossy polished finish over a stained flame veneer but no idea what's the best/correct product. I've got a large unopened bottle of tru-oil but I'm also concerned about the colour change. I'll look at doing some tests on the scraps I cut from the headstock but that's a long way off since the kit's on backorder at the moment.

Dacious
21-08-2020, 08:51 AM
I have a Dingotone finish on my SG Jnr. After a month it's smooth and pretty hard. I may put a coat of poly on. But it doesn't seem to be wearing. Feels pretty much like a normal satin finish.