PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous pedal projects

JohnH
10-06-2020, 01:47 PM
I spent last night pulling out all my half finished electronics projects, figuring out what I needed to finish them, and then organising them in boxes with parts lists attached so I can work my way through.

There's a few pedals in there, so I thought I'd document them here.

So far I've got (in various states of disarray):

Echo base (all the parts but not breadboarded):

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=60662.0

Valvecaster (all the parts apart from a tube, partly asembled):

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=63479.0

BYOC Scrambled Octave (PCB with all components all soldered, just needs a switch and some jacks)

https://buildyourownclone.com/products/scrambledoctave

JohnH
10-06-2020, 01:50 PM
I'll order a tube for the valvecaster tonight, and drop into Jaycar tomorrow for the assorted switches and jacks. Hopefully I can get these going in the next week or so.

Any suggestions for fun pedals to add to the list are more than welcome!

jugglindan
10-06-2020, 02:51 PM
Are you using a 12AU7 for the valvecaster? That's an interesting circuit and I am eager to hear your experience with it. I have read mixed reviews so have held off making one for now. I am more interested in building a Lamington amp later this year.

JohnH
10-06-2020, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how it'll go either but figured I had all the bits so it couldn't hurt to try. I had an 12AU7 when I started but ended up using it for an art project so that's the only thing I'm missing.

Lamington is on my list too - if be interested to see how it goes for you!

McCreed
10-06-2020, 06:46 PM
I had an 12AU7 when I started but ended up using it for an art project...

What the????

JohnH
10-06-2020, 06:57 PM
What the????

Ha ha ha, yeah. I don't even know if I have pics of it. I've been working electronics into a lot of my exhibitions:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9N28wJh_FO/

JohnH
10-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Just spent an hour cleaning out boxes of random electronic bits and managed to find a whole box of DC jacks in various colours, a handfull of mono jacks and four stomp switches. Looks like I have no excuses now, better get soldering...

jugglindan
10-06-2020, 08:56 PM
Ha ha ha, yeah. I don't even know if I have pics of it. I've been working electronics into a lot of my exhibitions:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9N28wJh_FO/

That looks cool. My reaction was a greater appreciation for the miracles of technology that surround us everyday that we take completely for granted. No idea if that is what you were aiming for, but I like it.

JohnH
11-06-2020, 06:29 AM
That looks cool. My reaction was a greater appreciation for the miracles of technology that surround us everyday that we take completely for granted. No idea if that is what you were aiming for, but I like it.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'm going for. I had a show in 2018 at the Contemporary Art Space in Manuka, and I had about 40 watercolours of components (resistors, capacitors and transistors) and then in the middle of the room I had a turntable hooked up to a stereo amp and preamp that I'd built into a clear plastic box.

It was great! People got such a kick out of being able to see inside the box, even though it's not like looking inside a printing press or engine where you can see the mechanism at work.

It was also interesting because all these people I'd never met came in for lengthy chats about their time spent as electrical engineers, radio operators, computer programmers, etc.

JohnH
16-06-2020, 12:44 PM
Got the tube I needed in the post, so I finally got the Valvecaster together.

Sounds pretty good. It's definitely a boost, but I'll need to play around with it for a bit (and at different volumes) before I decide whether I like it

JohnH
16-06-2020, 05:47 PM
Well, I remember now why the stompswitches I found in a box were in the box - I'd melted the epoxy stuff that holds the lugs at some point when I was first starting out. So, they won't do, and until new ones come next week I can't get the Valvecaster into an enclosure or finish the scrambled octave.

In the meantime I've been looking for some more misc pedal builds, and have settled on these:

Mountainking Electronics Megalith
(http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/06/mountainking-electronics-megalith.html#comment-form)

McSpunckle Gnomeratron VTF (http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2018/09/mcspunckle-gnomeratron-vtf.html#comment-form)

Earthquaker Devices Space Spiral (http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2020/04/earthquaker-devices-space-spiral.html)

JohnH
16-06-2020, 05:50 PM
I think I have all the parts for the Megalith, but will need to order things for the other two...

jugglindan
16-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Those are some ambitious builds there. So far I have been put off by the more complex builds, preferring to do them on PCB. But that's not always an option. I like the description of the Megalith:

Create an unstoppable wall of fuzz and vibratory energy, capable of conquering all in its pathway. Its versatile filter circuitry allows for a wide range of tones and textures that allows the Megalith to work well with both guitar and bass.

The MORE HEAVY feature will allow you to cause localized disturbances in the Earth's magnetic field and may cause temporary blurred vision...

I plan to build a Deep Blue Delay (https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/mad-professor-deep-blue-delay.html)some time this year, but that is nowhere near as complex as those. Kudos!

JohnH
16-06-2020, 06:08 PM
Well, they might still prove to be too hard! I've been trying to tackle projects of increasing complexity, and so far they've all worked (usually with a lot of troubleshooting).

JohnH
16-06-2020, 06:09 PM
That delay looks cool

jugglindan
16-06-2020, 07:21 PM
Based on my results so far, I am pretty sure I could build something that complex, but I know I would find it stressful. I build pedals to relax so the stress of making sure such a large board is correct is not something I feel like doing right now.

And yes, I like the sound of the deep blue delay. I just can't decide between it and the Earthquaker Disaster Transport Jr (https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2017/12/earthquaker-disaster-transport-jr.html). It's mostly the same circuit, but Earthquaker added a tone control that only affects the repeats. It's harder to find reviews on so I am still undecided.

JohnH
16-06-2020, 07:26 PM
Yeah, fair call. I enjoy the challenge but there's definitely been times I just need to put everything down because it stopped being fun

jugglindan
16-06-2020, 07:52 PM
I am about at that point at the moment. Once I finish the FS-808 I am going to take a breather from pedals for a bit. I want to turn my focus back to my Blueycaster build, and that other thing. No, not that other thing (https://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/collection/works/355.1998.a-c/), the other other thing. Playing guitar. Yes, I am sure that's the other thing I want to focus on for a while.

DrNomis_44
17-06-2020, 09:37 AM
The Space Spiral is one I've never heard of before, since it uses a PT2399 IC, I'm going to assume that it's a delay effect of some sort, looks really interesting so I wouldn't mind building one.

DrNomis_44
17-06-2020, 09:46 AM
Well, they might still prove to be too hard! I've been trying to tackle projects of increasing complexity, and so far they've all worked (usually with a lot of troubleshooting).

A lot of the time, most of these complex pedal projects can be broken-down into much more simpler parts, a complex circuit such as the Space Spiral, is nothing more than a whole heap of much simpler circuits connected together, if you can understand how the simpler circuits work, then you can understand how they all work together as part of a more complex circuit.

jugglindan
17-06-2020, 10:14 AM
The Space Spiral is one I've never heard of before, since it uses a PT2399 IC, I'm going to assume that it's a delay effect of some sort, looks really interesting so I wouldn't mind building one.

Yeah, it's a modulated delay. Not sure what sort of modulation it does to the repeats though. The Deep Blue Delay also uses the PT2399. What I like about it is that the original signal doesn't go through the digital chip, only the repeats do.

A lot of the time, most of these complex pedal projects can be broken-down into much more simpler parts, a complex circuit such as the Space Spiral, is nothing more than a whole heap of much simpler circuits connected together, if you can understand how the simpler circuits work, then you can understand how they all work together as part of a more complex circuit.

I have started to get a handle on that by studying drive pedals, identifying the common elements and differences and so on. For myself, it's not the circuit complexity or understanding how it works that puts me off the larger stripboard builds. It's simply the concentration needed to get it right. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I relax my expectation of how long a build should take.

DrNomis_44
17-06-2020, 12:49 PM
Yeah, it's a modulated delay. Not sure what sort of modulation it does to the repeats though. The Deep Blue Delay also uses the PT2399. What I like about it is that the original signal doesn't go through the digital chip, only the repeats do.

I have started to get a handle on that by studying drive pedals, identifying the common elements and differences and so on. For myself, it's not the circuit complexity or understanding how it works that puts me off the larger stripboard builds. It's simply the concentration needed to get it right. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I relax my expectation of how long a build should take.

I'm a bit like that too, there's part of me that's a real perfectionist when it comes to building things, and sometimes I can get a bit too obsessive about making something perfect and it has often gotten in the way of me finishing something, I've been in the process of training myself out of being so perfectionistic about things.

jugglindan
17-06-2020, 01:41 PM
I'm a bit like that too, there's part of me that's a real perfectionist when it comes to building things, and sometimes I can get a bit too obsessive about making something perfect and it has often gotten in the way of me finishing something, I've been in the process of training myself out of being so perfectionistic about things.

I am quite relaxed about cosmetic failures, but not at all relaxed about functional ones. "This damn thing will work even if it takes me forever" is a thought I am fairly familiar with.

JohnH
17-06-2020, 07:18 PM

Yeah, that's kind of how I've been trying to tackle projects as they get more complex. There's usually good info online, or at least a read of the datasheets gives a clue as to whats happening. I'm still completely baffled by the whole thing, but when I look back at how confused I was when I started I can see some progress.

JohnH
17-06-2020, 07:19 PM
I am quite relaxed about cosmetic failures, but not at all relaxed about functional ones. "This damn thing will work even if it takes me forever" is a thought I am fairly familiar with.

Ha ha ha, yep. I've started factoring in like 80% extra time for troubleshooting

jugglindan
17-06-2020, 08:15 PM
With my most recent failure with the EQ mod to the FW-808, I was quite a lot more relaxed. I just left the pedal for a day and came back to it with a new idea which turned out to work quite well. So there is hope for me yet!

JohnH
25-06-2020, 06:19 AM
Decided to add this to the growing list:

https://www.coda-effects.com/2017/12/black-hole-sunn-model-t-preamp.html

Will order the PCB but will probably have to wait until next pay to buy the other bits I need - daycare fees have come back, so my very small window of having spare cash has apparently closed

JohnH
01-07-2020, 05:19 PM
Got another haul from Tayda this afternoon, so I can finish a few of the pedals I have on the go. I bought the 1590DD enclosure for the Purgatory Pedal, which is honestly just such a ludicrously huge enclosure. The only reason I need one so large is the 450V capacitor, so I should have just swapped the capacitor for a smaller one.

JohnH
02-07-2020, 04:47 PM
Got a bit done in my lunch break today. Drilled the enclosures for the Parasit Theremin Fuzz and the Valvecaster. I almost drilled the huge enclosure for the Purgatory pedal too, but when I looked at the Tayda site again I realised the 1590XX was what i had meant to buy, so I will order that next pay (and a 100V capacitor to replace the giant 450V one)

Will finish the wiring for these tonight, but won't spray them until next week. Thinking of trying decals for these as I can't get in to Megalo to print yet.

JohnH
03-07-2020, 08:29 AM
All boxed up, and both working fine. The Thermin fuzz is wild - I think I'll use it quite a lot. The Valvecaster is quite good too.

jugglindan
03-07-2020, 08:50 AM
Is that a straight Valvecaster build, or something based on Dr Nomis's mods in another thread? Is the sound worth the hassle over opamp or FET-based drive pedals? I know that's subjective, but I am interested in your thoughts.

JohnH
03-07-2020, 08:59 AM
It's just the straight valvecaster, no mods.

Good question, and I would probably say no (though I've only played around with it for an hour or two). Like all these things it depends on what you want I guess - I enjoyed building it, and it sounds good. It was much more fiddly and expensive than an op-amp or FET based build, and for the small amount of noodling around I do it doesn't add anything groundbreaking. I like it though, particularly with the gain all the way up. I really dig the Purgatory one from the other thread (which I built without Doc's mods), and would definitely recommend it.

jugglindan
03-07-2020, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the info. I am pausing my pedal building efforts for the moment while I finish the blueycaster, but I have started planning some new builds. First will probably be the Deep Blue Delay and then more drive pedals of some sort :)

JohnH
03-07-2020, 10:02 AM
I'm keen to see how you go with the delay.

I really need to take a break from pedals too. I have an exhibition in November and I'm wholly unprepared, but when I get home from work the guitars and pedals are kind of fun whereas preping for a show feels like work lol. Once I get some paint down and can see the show start to come together I'll be into it, but it's pretty tedious when it's just putting gesso on paper.

jugglindan
03-07-2020, 11:35 AM
Ah, the old Procrastination as a Productivity Tool (for other things) strategy. otherwise known as getting things done while avoiding doing that other thing I really should be doing :)

I do a fair bit of that. I built 8 or 9 pedals while avoiding finishing my tele because the guitar build is much further out of my comfort zone.

Is your exhibition going to be in Canberra?

JohnH
03-07-2020, 12:05 PM
Ha ha, yeah, that is exactly what it is.

The exhibition will be in Goulburn, at the regional gallery. They have a small project space at the front, so it's not actually that big an exhibition. Maybe 12 - 20 small paintings.

I'm painting my collection of vacuum tubes, so it will at least be tangentially related to electronics

Simon Barden
03-07-2020, 03:42 PM
I really don't like that exposed valve from a H&S point of view. I know it's got a screening can around it, but it's just soft aluminium and I still wouldn't consider it safe from misplaced feet.

WeirdBits
03-07-2020, 04:44 PM
Maybe a U Bolt of some sort as protection? If you can get one tall enough to still allow removal of the tube when needed.

JohnH
03-07-2020, 04:50 PM
I really don't like that exposed valve from a H&S point of view. I know it's got a screening can around it, but it's just soft aluminium and I still wouldn't consider it safe from misplaced feet.

Yeah, I agree. I figured for this one it wouldn't matter, given it's not likely to be in high use and I don't gig.

I think I'm likely to use the one from the other thread quite a bit more, so I'm planning on putting the socket inside the box, though I still need to think a bit about how to tackle it. My brother showed me a tube pedal that had a neat acrylic window so you could still see the tube, which I'm tempted to try.

It's a pity because I do enjoy seeing the tube poking out the top, but it's a bit different if it's a stereo preamp or something sitting on a shelf.

Simon Barden
03-07-2020, 04:57 PM
A U-bolt either side would probably do it, though the extra weight high-up would make the pedal less balanced.

Acrylic windows look nice but don't really add anything, and certainly not ventilation. A lot of that sort of pedal use lower voltages for the valve and use a red LED to obtain the valve 'glow' for show.

JohnH
03-07-2020, 05:24 PM
Maybe a U Bolt of some sort as protection? If you can get one tall enough to still allow removal of the tube when needed.

Yeah, I reckon that's the ticket, thanks WeirdBits. Will have a look online and see what I can find.

Acrylic windows look nice but don't really add anything, and certainly not ventilation. A lot of that sort of pedal use lower voltages for the valve and use a red LED to obtain the valve 'glow' for show.

I think looking nice is an ok justification. People like to see tubes, so even if it's not utilitarian it still adds something. In the end it will probably come down to how much time I have spare, and what design I come up with for the enclosure. Given Lawry's choice of Purgatory for the name I was thinking of maybe ripping some Durer engravings to print on the box, and a window will probably be inconvenient to navigate around.

JohnH
03-07-2020, 05:46 PM
Any thoughts on something like this?

https://youdaelectronics.com/guard-protector-preamp-for-12ax7-p0685.html

Simon Barden
03-07-2020, 11:25 PM
The 4-layer one might be tall enough. You really don't want any part of the valve poking out of the top. I've seen 3-layer ones with the top of the valve poking out a fair way. That may be OK(ish) for a small hi-fi amp that sits on a shelf, but not for something that will go on the floor. Looks like you've got 60mm of height with the 4-ring unit. So I'd get the ruler out and see where you are. Looks like there are other ones available (designed for bigger valves) and you may find one of those will give more protection (and some are nicely chromed so will look smarter). So I'd check their dimensions as well. It's trying to find the right level of balance between giving insufficient protection and going completely OTT.

JohnH
04-07-2020, 05:59 AM
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Cool, I'll measure it up and have a think.

I managed to sneak in a bit of soldering last night, and got the board for the Megalith populated. I realised I accidentally bought the wrong rotary switch, as I needed one with a pin to set the number of turns. I found a DPDT switch in a box of bits, so will use that instead, and hopefully have it wired up (if not boxed) by the end of the weekend.

JohnH
05-07-2020, 06:18 PM
UPDATE: totally changed my mind about the valvecaster - turns out I love it, and have been playing with it all day.

I ran it through my 30W amp instead of my small practice one, and fiddled around with the gain a bit. It's really nice. I think I'll end up using it a lot, so have been rethinking my enclosure. Will definitely need something sturdier to protect the tube

JohnH
15-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Just finished the Megalith, and it is brutal. Absolutely love it!

Will try to get a pic (and a sound bite) tomorrow. I tried a powder coated enclosure from Tayda, which is pretty nice. I had a few issues with drilling, so will probably have to buy a new stepped bit and another enclosure at some point

jugglindan
15-07-2020, 04:56 PM
What are the advantages of a stepped drill bit vs a regular drill bit? I do all my pedals by centre punch, 2.5mm pilot hole followed by the size I need.

Bakersdozen
15-07-2020, 08:06 PM
Stepped drill bits are fast and make small work of holes rather quickly. They're handy as they stop at different sizes. And you can get different size steps. Some go up two sizes, some one etc. And you don't have to keep fumbling around for different drill bits. The issue with using them on a painted surface is that if your not careful between the second last and final step, you can kind of countersink around your hole which would take some finish off around it.

I've used that to my advantage with the plastic LED holders I use, to get them sitting down a bit and flush with the surface, which looks nice.

Bakersdozen
15-07-2020, 08:08 PM
Just finished the Megalith, and it is brutal. Absolutely love it!

Will try to get a pic (and a sound bite) tomorrow. I tried a powder coated enclosure from Tayda, which is pretty nice. I had a few issues with drilling, so will probably have to buy a new stepped bit and another enclosure at some pointKeen to hear this thing, mate. And see it.

JohnH
16-07-2020, 06:52 AM
Basically what BakersDozen said. It's a really quick way to drill all the holes without swapping bits. Mine goes up to 25mm, so on the Valvecaster I could drill everything with the one bit, including the tube socket.

I somehow managed to both bugger up my template for this one, and also mislabelled the pot hole sizes - so I drilled the first two to be almost the same size as the pot washer, and the switch and one of the LED holes is in the wrong spot.

I realised the pot holes were too big because they looked wrong, and even though the washer covers them it's not a good look if I ever end up giving it to someone else. The LED and switch being out is obviously the main reason I'll have to buy a new box.

JohnH
16-07-2020, 09:39 AM
Here are some pics. The More Heavy and notch selections are fantastic - very doom

Bakersdozen
16-07-2020, 09:42 AM
Awesome! Is that a 1590BB ? Looking forward to a sound clip when you have a chance

JohnH
16-07-2020, 11:09 AM
Yeah, 1590BB. I've seen some people managed to get theirs in with the pedal oriented the other way, but this way gave me a bit more wriggle room.

I'll try to do a demo this afternoon - it's a bit crazy at work this week with student return imminent, so will have to see how I go!

jugglindan
16-07-2020, 02:19 PM
Crazy fuzz is not my cup of tea, but it looks good. I like the u-bolt valve guards on the valvecaster. And did you build the rat pedal? I quite like the sound of a Rat for the < 1% of the time that I want a distortion. I breadboarded one earlier this year but haven't committed to a permanent build. Might breadboard the Red Llama and see how that goes

JohnH
16-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I made the rat. I made all the pedals on the board, which is kind of nice. I need a good loop pedal though, which isn't something I can DIY.

I use the rat all the time, ha ha ha. It's probably my most used pedal, but I have been looking for some more doom level distortion.

The U-bolts worked out great. I can still fit the shield, but I like being able to see the tube. And now it's on the board it's much more secure. Both my uncle and brother have had a play around with the Valvecaster and rated it, so I might make two more for their birthdays later in the year.

I don't think I've come across the red llama (or I've forgotten). Will check it out.

JohnH
19-07-2020, 09:39 AM
Haven't had a chance to record the Megalith as my mum's come to stay (somehow I suspect she wouldn't be that into it lol)

I ran out of vero board, so I'll buy some more in the week to build the others on my list.

The Sunn preamp PCB should arrive in the week too, which I'm quite keen to build.

I've also decided I need a compressor, so think I'll try one or both of these:

Keeley 4-knob compressor (http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/07/keeley-4-knob-compressor.html)

5-knob compressor (http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2016/01/5-knob-compressor.html)

jugglindan
19-07-2020, 12:42 PM
I really like my orange squeezer, but nothing beats the adjustability of the Ross style compressor.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

JohnH
19-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Your orange squeezer is what got me thinking about compressors!

Bakersdozen
19-07-2020, 04:27 PM
Your orange squeezer is what got me thinking about compressors!It's a great circuit. I only really today bedded it into my setup. I was struggling for ages trying to figure out why it didn't play well with my humbucker and p90 equipped guitars. No matter what, they were mildly overdriving the signal, making it unsuitable for anything clean. Whereas the Strat, TeleMaster and the lower output P90 guitars sounded freaking fantastic. I've worked out the best spot (for me) to get it working well all round is to have it in the fx loop. I'm super pumped on it now and the juicy goodness is shining thru . Settled the bias bang on 1.35 volts as well DC - thanks for the tip.

jugglindan
19-07-2020, 06:02 PM
Yeah, it can get a bit dirty with a strong signal. That's part of what I meant when saying its not totally transparent. It adds a bit of colour (or is that juice?) to the signal. I don't have any high output pickups though, so it works great right at the front of the chain after the buffer. Although if I had a boost/buffer like you it might not be as happy with the boosted output.

The more transparent Ross-style have their place too, so I am super interested to see how a stripboard build of one goes.