PDA

View Full Version : DIY octave down pedal?

Joe Garfield
10-06-2020, 07:59 AM
Has anyone built one? I'd like to have a pedal that emulate bass notes with my guitar, for loops/backing tracks, etc.

JohnH
10-06-2020, 08:14 AM
I made this, and really love it. I don't know if it's what you were going for though, and I really use it to make a lot of noise (as in drone/doom), so I don't know how well it would work as a bass emulator. Also it kind of let's both notes through together, which sounds good but maybe isn't what you're after. It's fun though

https://www.parasitstudio.se/u235.html

jugglindan
10-06-2020, 08:23 AM
No, sorry. It's not an effect I would use and have never built one. I experimented with the sound on an old digital multifx box I had (Zoom GFX-707).

From your description, you are looking for an octave down effect which seems less common than an octave up. The two kits I can find are the Uboat (https://effectpedalkits.com/shop/uboat-suboctave-pcb/) and the Rocktave Divider (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/octave/rocktave/). I have no experience with either though.

Not a kit, but there are things like the EHX Bass9 (https://www.ehx.com/products/bass9). Looks like a digital pedal, and not a kit.

That's my attempt to give an informative no, but really, it's still "no, never built one, never seen one". Sorry.

Simon Barden
10-06-2020, 04:09 PM
I have an 80's Pearl Octave pedal, which does 1 and 2 octaves down, and one above. It's a little bit better than the Boss octave pedal, (which only has octave down and above) but they are pretty similar.

Tracking is always a problem with these, and the lower the note, the less accurate the note is. Also, the octaves are rather a fuzzy sound, not a perfect pitch changed version of the original.

If you want something simple, good sounding and reliable to use with a looper, then you need to go digital. Like that EHX9 pedal (or maybe one of EHX's POG pedals which also track very well).

In a DAW, then a pitch shift plug-in (normally one comes as standard with the DAW) will do a rough job.

Though obviously the real answer is to get a bass kit and build that.

JohnH
10-06-2020, 05:37 PM
The EHX Bass9 looks pretty cool, but I'd never have that kind of cash to throw at a pedal

McCreed
10-06-2020, 07:12 PM
re: Bass 9 - Yeah, that's a pretty cool pedal for sure, but like JohnH, not one I'd lay out 500 bucks for.
I'll keep my $30 SX Jazz Bass (and continue to play it badly :o)

I have set it up properly and modified it, so it's actually pretty good when a real bass player has it in their hands.

JohnH
10-06-2020, 07:51 PM
re: Bass 9 - Yeah, that's a pretty cool pedal for sure, but like JohnH, not one I'd lay out 500 bucks for.
I'll keep my $30 SX Jazz Bass (and continue to play it badly :o)

I have set it up properly and modified it, so it's actually pretty good when a real bass player has it in their hands.

Ha ha ha, I was literally just saying to my wife that I may as well buy a bass kit for $500

jugglindan
10-06-2020, 08:59 PM
I didn't even look up the price of the Bass9, but that is on the expensive side of expensive.

Joe Garfield
13-06-2020, 04:23 AM
Please don't make me buy that double-neck SG and convert one side to a bass. Shame on you for putting such a crazy idea in my head. ;)

Fortunately I do have a digital piano so I'm more likely to use that than a real bass guitar. Whew.

JohnH
13-06-2020, 07:35 AM
Please don't make me buy that double-neck SG and convert one side to a bass. Shame on you for putting such a crazy idea in my head. ;)

Fortunately I do have a digital piano so I'm more likely to use that than a real bass guitar. Whew.

I'd be keen for a bass/6-string SG, but also probably shouldn't be thinking about it lol

JohnH
13-06-2020, 07:40 AM
Going back to the OP though, that sub-octave generator might actually be ok for what you want after all. I was playing around with it yesterday, and swapped my low-tuned guitar for my sons standard tuned ST-jr. It tracks pretty well when it's dropping a high note down on the one octave setting, though it gets messy with chords.

It just makes noise when I drop the three lower strings on my guitar down an octave, but I'm starting in drop C and I usually use the detune setting.

I only had a quick play last night but will try to record something on Monday when the kids are at school