PDA

View Full Version : Paint a 3 way switch black

ThatCluelessGerman
04-06-2020, 02:05 AM
Hey there,

I'm planning my next kit build and I want all black hardware. But all I found was a switch with a black cap. Close, but no cigar. So I'd like to paint the switch. But the question is, what is the best way to do it? Not sure now much I can disassemble it, so I thought probably a water resistant sharpie might do? Or probably black enamel nail paint? That's pretty tough stuff.

Has anybody here ever painted their switch?

JimC
04-06-2020, 03:02 AM
Are you talking about a Fender style blade switch or what? There are such things as black toggle switches if you go to mainstream electronics suppliers rather than guitar part vendors, but the Tele/Strat style 3/5 way blade switch seems to be a guitar special. But if you want a blade switch just try getting a black tip and painting the arm with enamel modellers paint or something.

ThatCluelessGerman
04-06-2020, 04:24 AM
I'm talking about the Gibson style switches. Have looked at the electronics store, they looked back at me like an idiot, "noooo, these are only available like this... No, we don't have them in funky colours!". Thanks for the idea with the modellers paint, we have plenty of this!

Edit: I actually just found on eBay. But not sure about ordering such a tiny thing as a switch from the webz, probably will try the paint first.

Simon Barden
04-06-2020, 04:30 AM
Black 3-way toggle switch here. https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/3-way-short-straight-toggle-switch-assemby/

But no all black 3-way blade switch that I can find.

You could certainly paint the shaft of one of those black. You could mask off the body and spray it for a smooth finish. It's not going to get much wear, so the finish doesn't have to be that durable.

fender3x
04-06-2020, 08:58 AM
I found the Gibson style on Amazon and at guitar electronics. Gotoh makes one, which ought to be available all over.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ThatCluelessGerman
04-06-2020, 04:09 PM
Thanks guys, I found one on Amazon Germany. 13 bucks is pretty steep for such a thing! I'll try the paint first. If I mess it up, I'll get a full black one.

fender3x
05-06-2020, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys, I found one on Amazon Germany. 13 bucks is pretty steep for such a thing! I'll try the paint first. If I mess it up, I'll get a full black one.

Perhaps, but I have paid pretty close to that for a good quality switch, and I don't have VAT to contend with. The black one will be anodized and much less likely to have the finish chip or flake than a painted one. FWIW.