PDA

View Full Version : I can't post photos anymore, advice please

McCreed
02-06-2020, 06:23 AM
The past 2 days I've tried posting photos and when I click "Upload File/s" the dialog box closes and there's no photo in my post.

I've tried clearing the cache, log out/log in. Photos have all been sized appropriately and jpeg format.
I use Chrome and it self-updated so I don't know if there's a connection there

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Mick

EDIT: I'm using the "Insert Image" button on the control panel.

EDIT: It appears I can add them as Attachments, but not embed them from Insert Image (????)

Sonic Mountain
02-06-2020, 07:31 AM
The forum uploader is pretty rubbish.

I use Imgur as I already had it for another forum using the same format and I Reddit, so it's a convenient storage area to post from.

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8108

fender3x
02-06-2020, 07:35 AM
Have you tried using a different browser like Firefox. That might tell you where the problem is the browser or something else... Or you could try uploading from your phone.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

McCreed
02-06-2020, 11:47 AM
The forum uploader is pretty rubbish.

Maybe, but I've not had any trouble with the Insert Image pathway before.

FWIW, just tried Firefox and appeared to work properly. I didn't submit post, just viewed it in Advanced. Images was there in preview.

My need to downgrade Chrome version.
Thanks guys.

fender3x
02-06-2020, 08:36 PM
You might try uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome. It may have become corrupted. Taking payments from the Russians, no doubt.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

McCreed
02-06-2020, 09:18 PM
Tried the uninstall/reinstall as per some online help recommended. No joy.

Looked into downgrading, seems way harder than it ought to be. Just could't wrap my head around it.
Decided I'd say stuff it for the time being. I'll just post as attachments until Google gets their sh*t together.
Lots of other people complaining about it. I submitted a bug report...

fender3x
03-06-2020, 06:09 AM

Just tried to upload as a test with Chrome...seems to be working for me with Win10 on Chrome Version 83.0.4103.61 (Official Build) (64-bit)

fender3x
03-06-2020, 06:15 AM
Maybe use Firefox for the forum for a while? Firefox tends to be the most compatible from a developer standpoint. I use a bunch of different systems, particularly during the Covid-19 outbreak. Some don't like Chrome. Some don't like Firefox. Most are happy with either one. You might try clearing your history...especially caches and cookies, then reboot, then try again. If that doesn't work, Firefox ;-)

McCreed
03-06-2020, 08:30 AM
Thanks fender3x.
Tried clearing cache (all time). Made no difference.
I've checked all the Chrome settings, extension etc and can't find anything there that may be the culprit.

I can use FF, and like it as a browser, but I really don't feel like jumping back & forth. I also noticed that the forum displays/behaves differently in FF than it does in Chrome. Don't know wth is up with that either.

fender3x
04-06-2020, 05:27 AM
I go back and forth between the two all day. I use FF for most things at work and Chrome for everything else. I am used to the differences, but if you're not I can see the issue. So, let's see... You've rebooted. You've flushed the history/chache/cookies. You've reinstalled. Have you jiggled the cables on the back of the box? That's about all the IT training I have left...

king casey
04-06-2020, 05:54 AM
I go back and forth between the two all day. I use FF for most things at work and Chrome for everything else. I am used to the differences, but if you're not I can see the issue. So, let's see... You've rebooted. You've flushed the history/chache/cookies. You've reinstalled. Have you jiggled the cables on the back of the box? That's about all the IT training I have left...

You forgot 'turn it off and then turn it back on again'.

cheers, Mark.

McCreed
04-06-2020, 05:57 AM
Have you jiggled the cables on the back of the box? That's about all the IT training I have left...

Hah!!! We must have gone to the same technical college!

jugglindan
04-06-2020, 07:36 AM
I am almost certain it is an issue with the latest Chrome build. I have seen this before from time to time. Some websites stop working with a certain browser for a version or two, and then it gets fixed. It's usually either a problem with the Javascript engine, or the CSS support. Both are complex standards with lots of different versions. Almost no browser is 100% compatible with the full standards, and the compatibility they do have is a bit of a moving target.

RagingBull
15-06-2020, 03:24 PM
Hi mate, I've been having a read of your post and a fiddle in Chrome which I also use. I've been using the same process as you since starting my build diary a few weeks back.

So two questions:
1. Can you confirm that the image file is displaying next to the "Choose file" button before you click Upload File(s)?
2. You mentioned that your files were in jpeg format. Have you tried saving them as jpg/png/gif to test?

If these two can be ruled out as contributing factors, then I suspect it's a Chrome setting. Might be worth checking the notification to the right of the address bar for any odd looking icons (eg: popup blocker etc)

Let me know if anything obvious turns up. I can screenshot my current Settings if you like and then you can compare them to yours.

Bugeye29
15-06-2020, 07:15 PM
I have posted photos in a build and all that comes up when i look at the forum is " Attached Thumbnails " but no actual photos shown, what am i doing wrong ?

In my settings i have ticked the display images.

Thanks

king casey
15-06-2020, 07:30 PM
I've been using Google Chrome for years and suddenly uploading photo's here didn't work anymore.

Solution: I use 'Opera' instead.

cheers, Mark.

Simon Barden
15-06-2020, 09:14 PM
I have posted photos in a build and all that comes up when i look at the forum is " Attached Thumbnails " but no actual photos shown, what am i doing wrong ?

In my settings i have ticked the display images.

Thanks

What process are you going through to display the photos? I've never worked out how the thumbnail thing comes up. My pics uploaded to the forum just post.

ThatCluelessGerman
15-06-2020, 09:54 PM
I have the same problem since a few days. Chrome on mac.

I try to work around it by:
- Go to advanced reply, upload first image.
- Preview post
- Upload next image
- preview post
- upload next image

and so on...

Tedious but works most of the time.

McCreed
24-06-2020, 12:53 PM
Sorry, I haven't been back to this post in a while.
FWIW, I still can't embed photos using Chrome. Even with a re-install and at least one update since, still isn't working like it used to.

Firefox works fine. I do like FF and was a loyal user for years until they got a bit boggy, then switched to Chrome.
May have to switch back as FF has improved since I gave it away.

Rossc0
24-06-2020, 01:03 PM
Me to, chrome does not work, Edge works for me.