PDA

View Full Version : Neck adjustment after changing to lighter strings

jugglindan
30-05-2020, 08:00 AM
OK, so I just changed from 10-46 strings to 9-46. D'Addario EXL110 to EXL125. The three treble strings are lower tension but the three wounds strings are the same. The strings have now settled down and are holding a stable tuning. But I am now getting some buzzing on the 6th string when fretting notes.

I think this means I need to adjust the truss rod since I have lost a bit of forward bow due to the lower string tension. But before I start adjusting, does this mean I should tighten the truss rod clockwise turns?

Hopefully I don't need to intonate again.

DC

McCreed
30-05-2020, 08:32 AM
Is this your G&L? I believe those have a two-way truss rod, but either way the same rule applies:

If the neck is too concave (action too high), turn the truss rod nut clockwise to remove excess relief.

If the neck is too convex (strings too close to the fingerboard), turn the truss rod nut counter-clockwise

It's always best to check intonation after. It may be fine, or it may need a tweak. It's not a huge task if it does need adjustment (unless you have a Floyd Rose).

jugglindan
30-05-2020, 09:02 AM
Is this your G&L? I believe those have a two-way truss rod, but either way the same rule applies:

If the neck is too concave (action too high), turn the truss rod nut clockwise to remove excess relief.

If the neck is too convex (strings too close to the fingerboard), turn the truss rod nut counter-clockwise

It's always best to check intonation after. It may be fine, or it may need a tweak. It's not a huge task if it does need adjustment (unless you have a Floyd Rose).

Thanks, and glad I checked. The neck feels too convex, leading to the fret buzz on 6th string. But I was about to start adjusting in the wrong direction. And yes, it is a Floyd. Finally something to appreciate about that horrid lump of metal.

DC

McCreed
30-05-2020, 02:15 PM
And yes, it is a Floyd. Finally something to appreciate about that horrid lump of metal.

I will never appreciate the FR.
I have two FR fitted guitars coming in next week for a set up. My least favourite jobs. Oh well, gotta make the doughnuts...

jugglindan
31-05-2020, 11:59 AM
Neck relief adjusted.
Buzzing gone (except for my bum notes).
Intonation OK. It's not perfect on 5th string - a little sharp on 12th fret - but it was like that before and I am used to it.

And I like the tension in the new strings much better. Whole tone bends on 1st string are now doable, but still need practice.

Case closed :)

McCreed
31-05-2020, 02:10 PM
If you put 10's on, what did you have on there before?

jugglindan
31-05-2020, 02:31 PM
I was using D'Addario EXL110s (https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/electric-guitar/xl-nickel/exl110-nickel-wound-regular-light-10-46/) for the last year or so - 10-46. Before that when I only played rhythm and fingerpicked things I used 11-49s (https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/electric-guitar/xl-nickel/exl115-nickel-wound-mediumblues-jazz-rock-11-49/).

I just switched to EXL125s (https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/electric-guitar/xl-nickel/exl125-nickel-wound-super-light-top-regular-bottom-09-46/), which are 9-46. It's like the 3 treble strings from a set of 9s, and 3 bass strings from a set of 10s. So instead of 10 13 17 26 36 46, I have 9 11 16 26 36 46.

It's that ~20% less tension on the treble strings that led to needing the truss rod adjustment.

When moving from 11-49 to 10-46 I paid for a setup, so I appear to be learning something here after all :)

McCreed
01-06-2020, 07:07 AM
Sorry, just realised you stated size change in your OP... D'oh!!!