PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Straightedge

fender3x
17-05-2020, 12:03 AM
When I put together my bass neck, I didn't have a notched straightedge to test the flatness of the fretboard. So I went to Harbor Freight. I don't know if these stores are in other parts of the world, but in the US they sell very cheap tools. they have a 48" aluminum straight edge for $5.

https://www.harborfreight.com/48-in-aluminum-ruler-69365.html

I used the a 34" scale bass neck to mark where the frets are on one side, and then used an abrasive blade on my crappy little bench saw to cut slots for the frets. After a little work with a file to smooth off the slots, I had a perfectly useful notched strait edge. I cut it down to the length of the neck to about 25.5". Nice thing is that it has one notched side, and one un-notched side, giving it a multitude of uses in my shop.

However, I did not have one for guitar, and I need one to set up my telestrat project. I also did not want to mask up and spend half a day purchasing and modifying a tool, if I could find one cheap on the internet. A little searching and I found these guys:

Neck check guitars (https://neckcheckguitar.com/)

I got a notched straigthedge from them that has Gibson on one side, Fender on the other. The one I made is functional. This is a thing of beauty. Thick, stiff and precise. $15 shipping included,* I can only beat the price if I count my labor as worth nothing (and some days that would be about right). It came in a stiff cardboard tube two days after I ordered it. It's good enough quality that if I eve have a grandson who decides to be a luthier he'll inherit it. I am sure it will cost more outside the US, but if you were thinking of getting one from SM this may be a better, cheaper alternative.

*Just noticed that the price on the website is higher than this. I got mine on ebay for considerably less than what they advertise on their website.

Chaosblade
17-05-2020, 12:53 AM
That's the same one I bought after I wasn't happy with my attempt to cut grooves into a metal yardstick. Zero complaints about it. Seems plenty sturdy and well machined. No burrs or anything that will damage the fretboard. Will probably buy a baritone and bass scale straightedge from them if/when I ever get around to doing builds for those.