PDA

View Full Version : lefty electronics

wolfred
05-05-2020, 02:50 PM
I have a lefty bass playing son and a lefty guitar playing grandson. I have been building guitars for them for a few years totalling four basses and three guitars. The latest is a lefty AG-1.
Previously I used normal audio pots wired backwards and didn't worry about the bad taper.
If you read forums about wiring lefty guitars, many people (all rightys) just say "get used to backwards controls"
or " your volume control on your amp goes up clockwise, so you should be used to it".

But surely leftys should be able to do volume swells and such with mirror image technique!

This latest one, I used lefthand audio pots for volume controls, but linear pots for tone.
The difference is night and chalk.
So, I'm going to change out the linear pots to lefty audio taper for tone too.
Some correspondents say linear pots are fine for tone controls, but the taper is too dramatic between 3 and 0.

My son tells me he always plays with volume on 10 because of volume taper issues.
Any leftys out there who have been told to get used to poor controls?

colin2121
05-05-2020, 05:14 PM
I know exactly how they feel. Even on manufactured guitars I have had problems.
It is also a pain if a lefty wants a guitar that is not a strat, tele or LP.
My way around the pot issue is to put in lefty audio taper pots for both volume and tone. I don't like linear tone pots. They don't seem to increment well.

Just my thoughts.

All the best

Simon Barden
05-05-2020, 06:43 PM
Reverse audio taper pots are certainly the way to go.

You then have the problem of finding reversed numbered knobs to match, unless you use plain ones. Allparts do reversed Gibson style bell knobs (for USA/CTS split shaft pots), but that's about it that I could find.

wolfred
06-05-2020, 08:01 PM
I found a site new to me that has some lefty knobs and other useful stuff ie

Guitartrade.
It looks Australian, might be another resource for hard to find parts.

Simon Barden
06-05-2020, 08:11 PM
Good find. Again, Gibson styles, but you can probably live with that.

colin2121
07-05-2020, 02:05 PM
I found a site new to me that has some lefty knobs and other useful stuff ie

Guitartrade.
It looks Australian, might be another resource for hard to find parts.

Thanks, I will have a look at it.

Fretworn
09-05-2020, 02:09 PM
If you read forums about wiring lefty guitars, many people (all rightys) just say "get used to backwards controls"
or " your volume control on your amp goes up clockwise, so you should be used to it".

Really! Some of us righties can be elitist b@$t@rd$, can’t we!