PDA

View Full Version : Humbucker mounting springs

Brutus
03-05-2020, 03:26 PM
Hello all
I have humbucker pick ups in my flying v bass my question is once the springs are fitted to the screws to be installed they will be fully compressed and only maybe 5mm of thread to screw into the timber. Do I cut the springs so the pick ups have some movement and the screws mount in further.
Any help would be appreciated thanks

Simon Barden
03-05-2020, 06:08 PM
Yes, I've cut mounting springs down in the past with no problems.

Alternatively, if you can find some cheap latex tubing on eBay or Amazon etc. then that's always useful as a spring alternative. Fender used it in the past for pickup mounting. The mounting screws are normally 3mm diameter, so 3mm I/D tubing is ideal, though 4mm will work.

Mr.Drifter
03-05-2020, 10:23 PM
A lot of brands will use springs and foam or something under the pickup, so it's held by the foam as well as the springs, if not just the foam

Brutus
04-05-2020, 04:00 AM
Ahh thank you very much for the info I will give it a try today

tortex
25-06-2020, 12:51 AM
Hi! I've been looking for threads of people who are just as crazy as me! I also bought a custom flying v bass kit, even though it won't arrive until November 😅. I'm glad I'm not the only one, I would love to see photos of your project, if at any time you decide to post them please quote me, good luck with that FVB 🤘🏼