PDA

View Full Version : Wooden knobs?

Jomasgaard
03-05-2020, 12:36 PM
Anyone found a good australian source for wooden guitar knobs? Hopefully looking for some spalted maple bells.

McCreed
03-05-2020, 01:32 PM
Quick search didn't yield anything here. eBay UK seems to be the place. Not cheap though.

Amsterdam Seller (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Guitar-bass-quality-control-knobs-made-from-wood-various-models-new-/121225773464)

Jomasgaard
03-05-2020, 08:22 PM
Thanks, yeah surprised by the gap in the market.

Simon Barden
03-05-2020, 10:01 PM
It's a relatively small market. You won't get rich just making wooden knobs for the occasional guitarist/bass player who wants one, so you'd need to make them as an offshoot of some other wood-product business or have a very large local market available, so that even a small percentage of people interested is a decent number of sales per year.

Jomasgaard
04-05-2020, 07:44 AM
Oh definitely, just surprised I can only find one very basic style coming out of china, and not much else out there. Need to kit out my own wood turning gear I guess.

blinddrew
04-05-2020, 07:07 PM
2x vice + dremel + fidget spinner = handy lathe.
Broom handle makes a good starting point for knobs. :)

McCreed
04-05-2020, 09:16 PM
2x vice + dremel + fidget spinner = handy lathe.

Do you have a YT video of your contraption? I can't wait to see it! :p

blinddrew
05-05-2020, 03:28 AM
Afraid not! When I did the knobs for my ES5 I just had the dremel screwed into one end and it was a bit erratic.
With eagle-eyed hindsight I subsequently tested it supporting the other end and it worked much better. In my case I used a spare bicycle hub I had kicking around, but I figured a fidget spinner would do the same job and would be more likely to be easily found in our current scenario.

Jomasgaard
06-05-2020, 09:24 PM
If anyone else is interested, I found a guy! Handmade in Wisconsin, look great, good price, cheap shipping: Cligan Cables on Reverb

Got two in english chestnut for 18 AUD$ Inc shipping.

Fretworn
09-05-2020, 02:11 PM
Greasy Groove in the US sell them as well, or they used to. Haven’t checked in a while.

There have been a few guys on the site who have made there own wooden knobs before to varying levels of success. Glad you found a supplier that had what you wanted.