PDA

View Full Version : A bit of pedal p*rn for you DIY'ers

McCreed
27-04-2020, 02:42 PM
First, I didn't make this pedal. I bought it in 2016 off of Reverb.com from a guy in Greece.
It's called The SOB - Son Of Blues.
It's a point-to-point dual overdrive based on the Boiling Point Overdrive (left side) and a Marshall Bluesbreaker MkI (right).

I just like looking at the guts. To me, not being a pedal builder, it just looks so steam punk!
Hope you like it. Oh, btw, it absolutely rocks!

I can post details about clipping and tone circuit if anyone is interested.

jugglindan
27-04-2020, 04:15 PM
That does look tasty. Makes me a little weak at the knees :)

I hope it sounds at least as good as it looks. I have found layouts for both, but I really don't need more overdrives just now.

Well, OK, maybe just one more ...

Andy40
27-04-2020, 04:56 PM
Dang, that is very very cool

McCreed
27-04-2020, 07:31 PM
I was hoping you guys would like it! It's like art in my eyes...

And yes, it does sound really good too.

jugglindan
27-04-2020, 08:40 PM
I can never post the interior of one of my pedal builds again :(

McCreed
28-04-2020, 06:28 AM
I can never post the interior of one of my pedal builds again

That's how I feel when I see some of the guitar builds that come out of this place!

I have found layouts for both, but I really don't need more overdrives just now.

Well, OK, maybe just one more ...

I went through a dual overdrive pedal phase a few years ago. I had a heap, but this is the only one I've kept.
Not only because it sounds good, but it's just so unique.

The builder did a variation on the switching via a 2-way clipping switch and a 3-way Fat switch to the Boiling Point circuit, and toggle on the Bluesbreaker side switches between clean boost and overdrive.

I still have a thing for OD's but I've mostly curbed my apatite for them and way less obsessive about them.

jugglindan
28-04-2020, 06:52 AM
I went through a dual overdrive pedal phase a few years ago. I had a heap, but this is the only one I've kept. Not only because it sounds good, but it's just so unique.
Agreed. I would never sell that pedal. It's a work of art. If you don't want to use it anymore you could take the lid off and hang it on the wall!

The builder did a variation on the switching via a 2-way clipping switch and a 3-way Fat switch to the Boiling Point circuit, and toggle on the Bluesbreaker side switches between clean boost and overdrive.
My OD-2 has both of those mods. The 3-way EQ: flat, mid-hump, fat (boosts low end), and switchable clipping between silicon diodes, no clipping and my now socketed LEDs.

McCreed
28-04-2020, 07:10 AM
I believe this just uses LED's and switches between symmetrical and asymmetrical.

It also has an order switch so you can change which feeds which when combined.

jugglindan
28-04-2020, 07:29 AM
I believe this just uses LED's and switches between symmetrical and asymmetrical.

It also has an order switch so you can change which feeds which when combined.

That's something I wish I had. My OD-2 has the TS and a clean boost but I can't change the order they are in. I couldn't even mod it easily since they share a circuit board. I don't use the boost much anyway, preferring to use a light overdrive for a dirty boost more often.

I discovered a great setting on my Barber clone: a light drive that seems to give every note extra clarity and articulation.

jugglindan
19-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Resurrecting this thread with some more pedal p*rn:

It's the interior of a Barber Dirty Bomb, taken from the reverse engineering thread (https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5592) at freestompboxes.org.

That's what I call an incredibly elegant hand-built pedal. To echo one of the fsb comments, it makes my pedals look like a family of rats have been living in them for several years. I particularly like the way he mixes solid-core non-insulated wire with the traditional insulated bendy stuff. As well as keeping it neat, the solid core wire gives a lot of structural integrity, using the hardware to hold the board in place despite not using PCB mounted hardware for the most part.

I am going to see if I can apply this technique to my next pedal build. I have been slowly trying to improve the neatness of my builds.

Andy40
26-06-2020, 04:20 AM
Cool build. I too am trying to work on the neatness of my builds as well. I'm also trying to figure out why the rubber feet plus velcro on the bottom of the enclosure?:confused:

Simon Barden
26-06-2020, 04:25 AM
The pedal was made with the rubber feet, then someone stuck velcro on to fit it to their pedal board. It's a pro-built pedal, so if the owner didn't need to take the feet off to fit it, then it was easier (and less financially damaging to its used value) to leave them on.

jugglindan
26-06-2020, 05:37 AM
A couple of my pedals have feet and Velcro for the same reason. Except for the selling part.

I will have to get creative applying this to stripboard builds, since the connection points for wiring so rarely line up neatly with the enclosure layout. But I am confident I can make it work. Insulated solid core wire is an option too, it bends and stays put.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Simon Barden
26-06-2020, 03:01 PM
I took the rubber back off my '81 TS-808 so I could stick first velcro, and then 3M Dual Lock to attach it to the pedal board. But somewhere along the way I've lost the back (along with its serial number) and devalued it significantly. I keep hoping it will turn up, but haven't had any luck at all.