PDA

View Full Version : Matte Solar guitar finish

Diggydude
22-03-2020, 08:54 PM
Hello,

I have recently bought some dingotone, Karijini red to be precise, and have been inspired by Solar guitars to do a certain finish.

How would I go about a finish like this? I知 happy with the colour, i知 thinking more about the matte finish. Is this a DT job?

I知 thinking grain fill with ebony timbermate, then do limited final coats to avoid building up a semi-gloss finish.

Thoughts and advice needed and welcome
Dylan

Sonic Mountain
23-03-2020, 05:56 AM
Satin Polyurathane. I like the Cabots marine grade stuff and that's what I used on this:

https://i.imgur.com/s54aZ2c.jpg

Stained with Feast Watson Mahogany, cracks and major blemishes filled with CA glue, an entire can of Poly with lots of drying time between applications.Wet sanded flat before final coat application.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/cabot-s-300g-satin-exterior-clear-spraypack_p1520268

Cliff Rogers
23-03-2020, 06:08 AM
an entire can of Poly
What size can, a boat builder friend moved & gave me a 4L can. ;)

king casey
23-03-2020, 06:15 AM
What size can, a boat builder friend moved & gave me a 4L can. ;)

With that many layers of poly you'd need an arm extension to play it.

cheers, Mark.

Sonic Mountain
23-03-2020, 07:21 AM
Probably the same size in the link I helpfully posted to avoid any confusion.

Diggydude
23-03-2020, 07:34 AM
Thanks Sonic that looks like the right stuff, did you do anything after the final coat?

Sonic Mountain
23-03-2020, 09:11 AM
No, even if the spray job isn't perfect, it really flattens out and settles down very nicely as it cures. You definitely get best results with a fresh can, in the last 1/4 of the can it can be a little splattery. You also have to really shake the buggery out of the can the first time you use it, do a test spray on some scrap before it goes anywhere near the guitar. The very first squirt is usually full of suspension medium and is a big gluggy mess. If you don't mix it well it can clog the nozzle really easily as well. But if you do shake it really well and do a quick blast to clear everything it's great to work with.

Andy40
01-04-2020, 12:22 PM

This is my LP-1SS in Karajini Red with ebony timbermate grain fill and tru oil finish. granted its not a satin finish but if I wanted I could have sanded just to a satin finish.