PDA

View Full Version : Semi Hollow Scratch Bass Build

wazkelly
19-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Check this out.......interesting place to put control knobs!

http://youtu.be/qDRAyij4aXc

Plenty of machine envy.....wouldn't it be nice to have all of that gear available to do some serious stuff......

Simon Barden
19-02-2020, 08:04 PM
Not quite guitar making as we know it! Sounds like it could do with a better set-up.

Not sure how well a truss rod would work in one of those bases with extended neck attachment to the body. Looks like it's joining at the 12th fret whilst the truss rod looks to extend to about the 17th fret, so adjustment won't be even over the whole length. Still, no worse than on some acoustic guitars with a 12th fret join.

wazkelly
19-02-2020, 08:09 PM
Yeah, the home made truss rod was quite rustic and very 'home made' Backyard Bob style. Not sure how effective it would be.

I was more impressed with all the CNC gear at his disposal plus plenty of other handy wood working machinery.

Simon Barden
19-02-2020, 08:14 PM
Indeed. It sort of took away the mystique and skill of making a guitar/bass though. Very useful for mass-production and accurate reproduction though (if only the PBG factories used CNC kit instead of templates!).

wazkelly
19-02-2020, 08:17 PM
(if only the PBG factories used CNC kit instead of templates!).

Totally agree.

Simon Barden
19-02-2020, 08:22 PM
I expect there's going to be some scarcity of PBG kits for a while as almost all the factories in China have shut down or are working with a skeleton staff.

Sonic Mountain
20-02-2020, 05:13 AM
Indeed. It sort of took away the mystique and skill of making a guitar/bass though. Very useful for mass-production and accurate reproduction though (if only the PBG factories used CNC kit instead of templates!).

It's crazy that they don't in this day and age. A laser cutter and CNC router are not a huge outlay in a factory situation and the improvements in quality and speed of delivery would soon make up the purchase cost.

I wish I could afford even just a relatively small laser cutter, because I know how to design for them the possibilities are endless.

FrankenWashie
20-02-2020, 09:44 AM
I was more impressed with all the CNC gear at his disposal plus plenty of other handy wood working machinery.

It's crazy that they don't in this day and age. A laser cutter and CNC router are not a huge outlay in a factory situation and the improvements in quality and speed of delivery would soon make up the purchase cost.

I wish I could afford even just a relatively small laser cutter, because I know how to design for them the possibilities are endless.

Check this out.......interesting place to put control knobs!

http://youtu.be/qDRAyij4aXc

Plenty of machine envy.....wouldn't it be nice to have all of that gear available to do some serious stuff......

Guitars built by Robots! TOOOKUUURRRJEEERRRRBSS! Or hobbies, pastimes, quiet obssessions, if you will.

Simon Barden
20-02-2020, 03:40 PM
The Chinese government ethos is all about providing work for their population. There's only a finite number of kit and low-end finished guitars that can be sold, so the Chinese government will try and keep those being manufactured by more labour-intensive methods. Get CNC machines in and you're probably cutting the workforce by at least 50%. Also improving quality by 200%, but if what is produced by hand keeps selling, then there's no big reason to change. The kit costs would probably go up as well, as they have to recoup the investment in expensive commercial scale CNC machines and you lose a lot of the benefit of having a cheap labour force.

dave.king1
20-02-2020, 05:38 PM
I expect there's going to be some scarcity of PBG kits for a while as almost all the factories in China have shut down or are working with a skeleton staff.

I hope that is not in the literal sense

Apparently the two items in high demand but unavailable in Hong Kong is toilet/tissue paper and coffins