PDA

View Full Version : Pure Tone PTT1 jack sockets (TS type for guitar/bass)

Simon Barden
07-02-2020, 10:44 PM
Pure Tone PTT1 jack sockets

I’d read about these somewhere, but the written description didn’t seem all that convincing, just talking about ‘double the contact area of a normal jack socket’. It wasn’t until I was looking for a replacement Switchcraft jack socket to replace a dodgy one in a Strat I was fettling and came across a picture of one that I took more interest, read up about them on their web page https://puretonetechnologies.com/ then ordered a load to fit to my guitars (and obviously the Strat).

They’ve been available in the US since 2016, but now seem to be available in the UK at quite a few outlets (no idea about Australia or elsewhere). I'm surprised I haven't heard about them until very recently.

So here it is, the Pure Tone PTT1 TS jack socket:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/8617/nv0wMN.jpg

And here is it compared against a standard Switchcraft jack socket:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/2122/S09eQt.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/5133/fWfhAC.jpg

And the view from the top:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/3589/nRfVgx.jpg

As you can see, you’ve got two spring contacts for the tip contact, both of which have curved contact points (as opposed to the single flat contact point on a Switchcraft (or other standard jack socket), so there is certainly at least twice the contact area of a traditional jack.

You also have two extra spring contacts making contact with the sleeve. This provides extra support for the jack plug, which stops it from being able to wriggle around in the socket and also makes a more positive ground contact than just the sleeve touching the inside of the threaded barrel of the socket. These are all part of the sleeve solder connection and are positioned so that in the event of a TRS jack socket being inserted, they make contact with the ring connection and ground it out.

Here’s a standard Neutrik TS jack inserted into the Pure Tone socket:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/7775/mr7c7v.jpg

…and the jack in a standard Switchcraft socket:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/8325/KFIL1Y.jpg

It should be obvious from the pictures Pure Tone jack is a more compact solution (length-wise) than the Switchcraft jack socket, which has benefits where space is an issue. I'll highlight Strat jack sockets, which for me are an abomination that should have been sorted out years ago. The socket rout is on a Strat just that bit too small to easily accommodate a standard jack socket.

You have to fit the socket in one position, and one position only, otherwise the spring for the tip presses against the back or the sides of the rout and you can’t fit a jack in. If you copper shield the socket rout, then there’s every chance that the tip will short out on the copper. If you then insulate the copper with tape, you’ll probably find the tape prevents the jack from being inserted properly. Sometimes you just have to get out the Dremel and make the rout a bit wider.

Using a Pure Tone jack socket on the Strat made it easy to fit it in, without needing to do any modifications and without any shorting. You could certainly wiggle an inserted jack plug strenuously (both standard and Silent Plug types) with no hint of a crackle or pop.

The extra contact area also makes them suitable for basic loudspeaker cabinet jack use, where there aren't any switching contacts required.

You may need to use slightly more force than normal to push a plug in, but not much. There's a bit more resistance to pulling the plug out, but I see that as a good thing. But you certainly don't need to be extra strong to use one.

The Pure Tone PTT1 jack sockets cost only slightly more (store prices currently vary from £5-£7 in the UK so shop around) than standard Switchcraft jack sockets (normally just under £4 in the UK).

The only negative comments I have are that they only come supplied with one washer and nut for the barrel. I’d have liked to have seen another nut and a toothed lock washer included. A you may have noticed, the length of the PTT1 threaded barrel is longer than that of the one on the Switchcraft unit. So it’s fine for a Strat, where it doesn’t really matter if there’s 2mm more thread poking out from the dished plate, but for a Tele, Les Paul, SG, Precision or Jazz bass etc. where you want to minimise the amount of barrel poking out from the mounting plate, you’ll need a positioning nut and washer underneath the mounting plate. So you'll either need to utilise any from the existing jack, or buy some suitable nuts and washers from someone like Allparts (e.g. https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/nuts-2-star-washers-2-smooth-washers-2-for-usa-pots-and-input-jacks )

Note that the barrel thread (like Switchcraft) is Imperial, so nuts and washers from metric jacks won’t work.

Pure Tone jack socket options:

PTT2 TRS jack socket (looks like the PTT1 except the two sleeve spring contacts are now ring contacts with their own solder connection).

Nickel or gold finishes.

There is a Pure Tone TRR5 barrel jack socket (TRS) available, which I presume has the double tip and ring contacts internally, but details on the website for this are sparse, so I can’t guarantee it.

Hardcoretroubadour
08-02-2020, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the review Simon, looks like a good simple upgrade for most builds

fender3x
08-02-2020, 10:36 AM
These look great! I have an ongoing strat build, and the jack in my Frankenjazz has gotten loose. These look like they're not only better they're surprisingly affordable. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Simon Barden
08-02-2020, 04:55 PM
I know StewMac stock them in the US.

JimC
08-02-2020, 07:55 PM
Interesting. I'm unconvinced about conductor area on a guitar (output side on amps is a different thing entirely, but the right change there is to replace jack with speakon) but the more compact design looks like quite a benefit.

fender3x
08-02-2020, 07:59 PM
I know StewMac stock them in the US.Just got two from Amazon for under $10 with free shipping. I see them all over now that I know what to look for. From just under $5 to about $7 (the SM price). That's only a little higher than a mono Switchcraft which is $4.25 at SM. Always nice to see a really superior product at a reasonable price.

fender3x
08-02-2020, 08:03 PM
Interesting. I'm unconvinced about conductor area on a guitar (output side on amps is a different thing entirely, but the right change there is to replace jack with speakon) but the more compact design looks like quite a benefit.I agree. It's more about the compactness and grip.

Simon Barden
08-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Certainly the conductor area isn't really an issue with a guitar/bass jack, but certainly a standard jack can lose its springiness over time, so that a pull on a lead can move the tip of the jack away from the contact and you get crackling. That is far less likely with this design as a pull in one direction away from a contact is normally pushing in the other direction against the other contact.

As the tip of a jack is a wiping contact, you aren't likely to get oxidation of the contact if the guitar/bass is used regularly. So it's now a question of fitting some and seeing about long-term reliability.

I think there is certainly a benefit in fitting them on speaker cabs and output jacks for valve amps where all the connections are via jacks, as you don't want to lose a speaker connection and damage the amp. And certainly if you are talking about a 100W or above valve amp, where the maximum output can be nearer 200W than 100W, then the extra current carrying capacity of this design would be very useful IMO.

fender3x
08-02-2020, 11:03 PM
The reason I like normal Switchcraft open jacks is that I have never had one fail...until now. I put a set of EMG Geezer Butler pups in my Frankenbass. I thought I had put a Switchcraft in when I installed them, but they came with a wiring harness and I may just have used what they sent, figuring "it's an EMG harness how bad can it be?". In whatever case the jack is getting loose...and this looks like a good replacement.

I think if you have a cab or amp that is already using a 1/4" TS jack these might be a good replacement. Aside from power handling and grip, why wouldn't you use the better jack if it's only a couple bucks more?

On the other hand for someone building a cab, I think the Neutric combo jacks are still my favorite, due to their practicality. They are a good solid TS jack, but will also accommodate 2 conductor speakons 33680

Chaosblade
09-02-2020, 05:26 AM
They also offer the PTT1 in black, might be newer since availability appears more limited than the other two. Might give it a try since it will match the black hardware I'm going to use with the EX anyway.

Andy40
09-02-2020, 11:03 AM
Such a simple design, I'm amazed that its taken until 2016 to invent it.

wazkelly
09-02-2020, 01:22 PM
Definitely solves the Strat problem.

fender3x
10-02-2020, 01:20 AM
The shaft is a little longer which will make installation in an ES type guitar easier.

What I did not see until they arrived is that the it puts a double squeeze on the shaft as well as the tip. Nice!

Wish I'd known about these before putting the wiring harness in my ES.

HatchA
10-02-2020, 01:35 AM
...it puts a double squeeze on the shaft as well as the tip...

Tell me I'm not the only one who sprayed their drink all over the screen on reading that!? :D

DrNomis_44
11-02-2020, 02:15 PM
I bought some of these True Tone jacks from Stewmac, got one installed in my Fender USA Strat, one in my Mexican Tele, and one in my BC Rich Warlock guitar, these are the best output jacks you can buy for guitars, makes me wonder why they don't come installed on every manufactured electric guitar, if you've got an electric guitar that has an output jack that's causing the signal to cut in and out, just replace it with one of these.

Simon Barden
11-02-2020, 03:54 PM
Glad you agree that they're good.

DrNomis_44
12-02-2020, 05:27 AM
Glad you agree that they're good.

I've always had problems with those older type output-jacks with the single tip connection, they always seem to work loose over time and you end up having to bend the tip connection in a bit to give it a bit more springyness, but that usually proves to be a temporary fix, or the tip connection gets a bit worn and oxidized where it contacts the tip connection, and you end up having to use some sandpaper to sand away the oxidization so it's clean and shiny, I also like to tin it with some 60/40 solder and a soldering iron as well for good measure, but these new True Tone jacks are great, definitely worth the money, I'm definitely going to be buying more in future.

A lot of guitarists spend lots of time and money buying good amps and effects and etc to get great tones, the first thing they should do is invest in some decent jacks and plugs (buy the best you can afford), since it only takes one bad jack or plug to have a detrimental effect on your tone, also buy and use decent quality cable too, a mate of mine has turned me on to using Mogami cable so hopefully this year I'll be able to buy a couple of rolls of the stuff on eBay.

fender3x
27-03-2020, 03:40 AM
Seeing as how I have not been banished from this thread for inadvertently lurid posting... I just installed one of these on my Frankenbass, and wanted to see what else these folks have to offer.

They have a stereo version, which is nice. Gold and Black as well as Chrome, also good. Then I saw that they have what may be the holy grail: A barrel jack that won't fail:

I have had Switchcraft barrel jacks fail just by putting the wrong cable in. Off-brand barrel jacks fail if you look at them too hard. I modified a perfectly good G&L ASAT to get rid of the barrel jack. Looking forward to someone actually trying this. Could be a thing of beauty.