PDA

View Full Version : Difference between STA-1, DST-1 and GST-1 kits

Diggydude
07-01-2020, 08:50 AM
Hello everyone

What is the difference between the STA-1, DST-1 and GST-1 kits?

To me it looks like the STA-1 is a 3 piece body while the DST-1 and GST-1 have 2 piece bodies. Other than that, what is the difference between them?

Dylan

McCreed
07-01-2020, 09:59 AM
Hello everyone

What is the difference between the STA-1, DST-1 and GST-1 kits?

To me it looks like the STA-1 is a 3 piece body while the DST-1 and GST-1 have 2 piece bodies. Other than that, what is the difference between them?

Brendan or Adam will know better than I, but from what I can see (in addition to your observations) is the STA-1 kit is only available with the rosewood fretboard. The other two offer a choice of fretboard material.

The other distinction, is the STA-1 body is listed as "Ash" and the the DST-1 and GST-1 are specifically listed as "American Ash".

The plain "Ash" may be Asian grown variety and I believe tends to run heavier in density, where as the "American Ash" presuming it's grown in North America, generally run a little lighter. Hopefully someone from PBG will affirm or correct me here.

Neither of these are as light as "Swamp Ash" which is highly desired in American-made guitars because of it's a good balance between density (weight) and resonance.

Diggydude
07-01-2020, 01:04 PM
McCreed, when you say it runs heavier, do you mean a closer grain or just weight?

McCreed
07-01-2020, 01:29 PM
Weight.
Timber density is calculated by Kg/M3 (cubic metre)

edit to add: for all intents & purposes, higher density timbers (heavier) increase in hardness too.

Ever snapped a drill bit drilling Iron Bark???
Just one reason you probably don't see a lot of Iron Bark guitars being built.

Simon Barden
07-01-2020, 03:46 PM
Also, the DST-1 has S-S-S pickup routing (so more authentic for a standard Strat build) whilst the other two have the more generic H-S-H pickup routs.

McCreed
08-01-2020, 05:21 AM
Also, the DST-1 has S-S-S pickup routing (so more authentic for a standard Strat build) whilst the other two have the more generic H-S-H pickup routs.

Good eye Simon. I missed that.

Chaosblade
08-01-2020, 10:32 AM
Looks like they come from different suppliers. Some relevant threads where the kits were announced:

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8171

Just added some more kits from the new supplier.

These are 2 piece "American" Ash bodies which have been carefully book-matched, so so the join is hard to see.

The supplier says they are American Ash and they do feel a bit lighter, but I don't know if this means they are "Swamp Ash". Hopefully we can get reach some consensus once we have shifted a few.

The prices from this factory are quite good, so they only work out about $10 more than our STA and TLA kits.

The hardware looks as good as, if not better, than our current supplier and the pickups also look slightly slicker. I don't want to go too hard on pushing this until we get some feedback from builders who have built and played one of them.

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9431

We've just added these DST-1 and DTL-1 kits to the range.

Originally, we intended to re-order the GST-1 and GTL-1 kits, which had the light (in colour and weight) American Ash bodies, and were very popular.

This new batch looked so different, and were noticeably heavier, that we created new products. They are from a different (New) supplier, not the Factory that supplied the GST and GTL kits.

That said, they are noticeably better quality, in body and neck, neck fit, hardware and pickups, than our STA-1 and TLA-1 kits, with a proportionally higher List price.

2 Piece American Ash bodies, with Flame Maple necks and Flame Maple fretboards. We've gone with Maple fretboards so we can ship internationally, however, there is an Ebony fretboard option if you want an ST style kit with a dark fretboard. Just message us.

The Maple fretboards are stunning Same with the necks... lots of really nice figured and flame maple grain to work with.

Also, this Factory has drilled a lot of the small holes, to make things easier. Pickguard screws are not drilled, so you can go sans pickguard if you prefer to show more lovely Ashy goodness.

McCreed
08-01-2020, 05:39 PM
Great researching skills there Chaosblade!

Brendan
08-01-2020, 07:25 PM
Definately come from a different factory. Ads has been quite active in looking for alternative options that offer different or better options for his customers. End result is that there is an increased range, but some apparent overlap between suppliers.

Personal experience - the G ash bodies (have a P bass to build) are heavier (sustain woot!) and a more widely spaced grain pattern than the STA's. Not massively, but does look wider spaced... Also tend to be a 2 piece body rather than a 4-5 piece in some of the other ash bodies. Haven't seen enough to say whether there is a bit closer colour matching in the pieces of the body - had an issue with a JBA-4 that didn't take a colourless stain well (one of the segments went light the rest dark and it looked weird - no biggie - just removed it and went with a dark brown stain and you can't tell the difference). May be an issue for some planned colour outcomes.

Please note that regardless of factory - warranty is the same - better deal than pretty much anyone else in the game...

Diggydude
09-01-2020, 08:40 PM
Thanks everyone, it has cleared up a lot of things.

I reckon I’m going with a DST-1 kit with black hardware, karijini red on the body and a glossy clearcoat on the neck (or maybe tru-oil).